System Update Problems

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by stromie952, Jun 3, 2002.

1. stromie952 macrumors regular

I am currently trying to update a Quicksilver 733 from System 10.1.

I cannot update through the software update panel or through the manual updates.

When I try to update through the software update, the update gets almost all the way done and then says there is an error in downloading.

When I try to use the manual updaters, they "unexpectedly" quit.

Thanx for any help

2. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

Did you update the "Installer"

This was a while ago, but I seem to remember that there was some sort of "Installer" update that you have to do prior to updating from 10.1.

Make sure you've run all the necessary updates before you go to 10.1.4.

Hope this helps.

3. stromie952 thread starter macrumors regular

Unfortunately when I try to do the installer update or the security update from September, they automatically quit instead of loading. :(

4. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

You've hit the ceiling of my expertise. Maybe one of the other experts can chime in.

Sorry.

5. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

And you downloaded them directly from the Apple web site? You have to install all the updates in the exact order that they were released.

6. stromie952 thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, I did download them from the Apple web site and I did try to update them in order, but they all unexpectedly quit.

7. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

Have you tried going through the System Update preference panel? Maybe you should try that first with the Installer Update and then the rest.

Hopefully, it'll still show up on the list of choices.

8. stromie952 thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, I have tried through the Software update panel and the files get partially downloaded and then have an error

9. britboy macrumors 68030

britboy

Are you using IE? If so, try manually downloading the updates through a different browser, and updating that way. IE has been known to not fully complete downloads in the past, which *might* be your problem.

10. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

It sounds like you may need to reinstall the system. Maybe there's some other way of fixing it, but that's what I would do...

11. cleo macrumors 65816

cleo

I, too, have a Software Update question.

I just did a clean install of 10.1.2 on my iMac, which was amazingly simple. Software Update then recommended about 4 updates, including the 2.04 iTunes update and a Mac OS Combined Update to bump me up to 10.1.5. The downloading and installing went just fine, but when it was optimizing the disk after the last install, everything froze (except my mouse, which could move but not click). Anyway, I left it for about 90 minutes, thinking that maybe I was just trying to do too many things at once and the machine would sort itself out, but after that time everything was still frozen. So I did a hard reboot.

All of the updates seem to have "taken" - About This Mac is showing 10.1.5 and iTunes is showing 2.0.4. Should I just carry on? Or is there something I should do to finish the "optimization" process? Should I be concerned about the freezing?

12. evildead macrumors 65816

evildead

Re: Cleo

I had the same problem a while ago. I dont remeber what update I was doing but it crashed on the opimization just like it did for you. I went back to reinstall it but I got a message that it was allready done and I didnt need the update. So, I just left it and havent had any problems yet.

Your post was a little confusing. You said that you did a fresh install of 10.2 and then you tried to update to 10.1.5? That could have been your problem. 10.2 is a developer seed and not ment for consumers. the 10.1.5 update may not know about the 10.2b OS and it tried to update it and failed. Also, when the full version of 10.2 comes out you will not beable to update to the finnal 10.2, you will have to do a clean install again. Thats why i didnt do it right away. I put 10.2b on a test partion for playing with.

-evildead

13. cleo macrumors 65816

cleo

Heh... that's what I get for typing fast... that was 10.1.2 that I did a clean install with. :D

Thanks for the info... I guess I'll just keep going until something pops up to tell me I have a problem.

14. evildead macrumors 65816

evildead

I ran it last night

Cleo,

I used software update last night and it just hung. Then it eventuly crashed. When I rebooted, I was now using OS 10.1.5 and things seemed strange and slower. It never told me that it was installing it or that it had finnished. I downloaded the 20MB installer from Apple and ran it. It ran like normal and when I re-booted everything was fine. Must be a bug with sotware update. You may want to download the full pakage from apple and give it a run, just to make sure that you got everything in 10.1.5

-evildead

15. stromie952 thread starter macrumors regular

I had the same problem on my iBook with 10.1.5, but as per my Disk Copy thread, I can't get any .dmg files to mount.

It does say 10.1.5 in the info panel, but it is acting funny.