Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ffactory

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 9, 2004
Somerville
I've been having this extraordinarily annoying problem where Photoshop 6 will crash my *entire* system when I attempt to move a document window to a different position on the screen. I suspect (but am not certain) that it only happens when I attempt to move a window so that it is partially off-screen, or possibly when I grab the file name portion of the title bar to move it. What happens is that the window either moves or only partially redraws before the machine totally locks up, but retains cursor movement (no hard drive read/write sound either). I am unable to force-quit, option-tab to a different application, or click to the desktop, and am forced to hold down the power button until the machine turns off.

I just looked in my Console Log and see this message many times:
Apr 29 00:18:50 FPACpowerbook /System/Library/CoreServices/Classic Startup.app/Contents/Resources/TruBlueEnvironment: kCGErrorFailure : CGSGetDisplayModeDescription​

And:
Apr 29 02:24:20 FPACpowerbook WindowServer[185]: orderWindow: Invalid other window
Apr 29 02:24:20 FPACpowerbook WindowServer[185]: CGXOrderWinsAndPanels: error ordering window
Apr 29 02:41:33 FPACpowerbook WindowServer[185]: CGXRemoveTrackingArea : Invalid tracking area​

I'm running:
Photoshop 6
10.2.8 with 384M of RAM on a 12" 867Mhz PowerBook

Could this be faulty RAM (I haven't had problems til now), or should I reinstall Classic, OS X, Photoshop, or what?

MoparShaha

Contributor
May 15, 2003
San Francisco
The first thing I'd try is reinstalling Classic. Just drag your whole system folder to the trash. That first error sounds like a problem related directly to Classic. I do find it odd that the whole system goes down though. Is it just unresponsive, or is it an actual kernal panic?

ffactory

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 9, 2004
Somerville
MoparShaha said:
The first thing I'd try is reinstalling Classic. Just drag your whole system folder to the trash. That first error sounds like a problem related directly to Classic. I do find it odd that the whole system goes down though. Is it just unresponsive, or is it an actual kernal panic?

Thanks MoperShaha for the advice on reinstalling classic.

I don't find any panics related to it, but my last KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE occured on 4/19 according to the Finder Crash Log.

As for responsiveness, the only thing that I can actually do is move the mouse- there is nothing else happening, no HD noise, nothing.

Any word on this TruBlueEnvironment? That particular message appears 10s of times sequentially. Do you/does anyone know if TruBlue is an OS X routine or Classic?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.