System Wide Feature Disabled within Pages?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by walkingmac, Feb 23, 2005.

1. walkingmac macrumors 6502

walkingmac

I just read an article on some tips and tricks and such in OS X. Nothing really caught my eye till the end where it showed there is a "Built-in Word Completion" feature that seems to be system wide. I had never even heard of this and thought it was great and I quickly tested it in many of the apps I use regularly. Then I noticed something weird. While it works in something as insignificant as the "google search bar" in Safari, it DOES NOT work in Pages! This feature is effectively disabled in APPLE'S new word processing app. Does this even make sense? Try it out, see if it works (and if your like me, for the first time. its a pretty cool feature).

Thoughts?

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

System Wide probably means implemented in the base classes for the text UI views. So anything that uses a standard NS text based view will probably have it. I imagine that Pages uses custom views (or possible one massive custom view with lots of internal text storage objects) so does not inherit this behaviour.

3. walkingmac thread starter macrumors 6502

walkingmac

Ok, but why would Apple of all people disable such a feature? That is the source of my pondering.

4. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Ah, another feature I either never knew or forget completely. Too bad Pages doesn't support it (yet?), and I don't think I'll ever truly need it, but, man, it is cool!

5. walkingmac thread starter macrumors 6502

walkingmac

Tru, it has cool all over it, but I think it has very little use other then those one in a 1000 moments, but nice to have. Hopefully in the future, this feature will show up usable. I just find it odd that Apple would 'disable' it's own features.

6. hackand macrumors newbie

i think spotlight will learn to take the juice out of this feature.

7. walkingmac thread starter macrumors 6502

walkingmac

how so?