SystemUIserver not starting up

Discussion in 'macOS' started by swindmill, Mar 7, 2006.

1. swindmill macrumors 6502a

swindmill

I restarted my powerbook just now and nothing showed up on the right side of my menu bar. I searched and found one thread regarding the problem and it looks like the solution was to archive and install OS X. I'm really hoping there is an easier way. Any thoughts or suggestions?

2. dav macrumors 6502

Did you install a hacked front row? That could be the problem...

3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Yeah, if you have Front Row hacked, either get rid of it or update it. :)

4. swindmill thread starter macrumors 6502a

swindmill

I do have it installed, but I have had the updated version for several days now. What files do I need to delete?

5. stridey macrumors 65816

stridey

I had this problem once. There's a thread somehwere, but final solution was that my Finder plist was corrupted. Try moving ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.finder.plist and see if it helps. Just on the offchance... Actually, you might try moving your whole preferences folder (but be sure not to trash it, in case that's not the problem).

Edit: Oh, you have a hacked front row installed. It's probably that then.

6. swindmill thread starter macrumors 6502a

swindmill

I deleted the Front Row app from Core Services. Console is still showing repeated crashes of the SystemUIserver. I'll try restarting

EDIT: Restarting did not help

Please let me know if there are more files associated with Front Row that I should delete. I also tried moving my Finder.plist before restarting, with no luck

7. swindmill thread starter macrumors 6502a

swindmill

I'm not sure how this would be related, but I attempted to open the sound preference pane from System Preferences and it crashed System Preferences (it does it every time I click on the sound pane).

Otherwise, I have deleted all traces of Front Row and replaced the bezelservices.framework folder with the original; deleted the two plists associated with systemuiserver; repaired permissions.

8. swindmill thread starter macrumors 6502a

swindmill

I downloaded the 10.4.5 combo update and extracted the systemuiserver app, bezelservices.framework, and the search.bundle file (spotlight) and used them to replace the files I had. SystemUIserver is now showing as a running process in Activity Monitor, but the menu bar is still blank on the right side. Console gives me the following when I try to launch the SystemUIserver app manually:

2006-03-07 22:11:30.768 SystemUIServer[365] Exception raised during posting of notification. Ignored. exception: *** -[NSURL initFileURLWithPath:]: nil string parameter

9. swindmill thread starter macrumors 6502a

swindmill

I just reinstalled 10.4.5 via the combo update and still have no menu extras. Wouldn't the combo update have replaced any corrupt files left by Front Row?

I tried installing the old Front Row, and no luck. Here's what Console gives me on reboot:

2006-03-08 00:41:48.704 SystemUIServer[91] *** -[NSURL initFileURLWithPath:]: nil string parameter
    Mar 8 00:41:51 Jesus configd[40]: SecKeychainFindGenericPassword err= -25308 ( =0xffff9d24, secErrStr=User interaction is not allowed. ) (current= Home)
    2006-03-08 00:42:01.683 SystemUIServer[91] *** NSRunLoop ignoring exception '*** -[NSURL initFileURLWithPath:]: nil string parameter' that raised during posting of delayed perform with target 3075a0 and selector '_loadMenuBarExtras'

10. indigoflowAS macrumors 6502

indigoflowAS

looking at my problem too, its the same exact thing...the SystemUIserver keeps trying to start every 5sec and crashes. how strange.

ill keep looking around, but i fear ill reinstall tomorrow. best of luck.

11. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Have y'all tried creating a new user account and seeing if the problems carry over? :)

I never had the hack so I'm not much help, sorry. :eek:

12. jelloshotgun macrumors newbie

I had this problem, and a simple reinstall of the front row hack fixed it. Have you given that a shot? (I didn't think it would work at first either...)

13. stridey macrumors 65816

stridey

That'll be tough... Apple legal had him pull down the hacked version this morning.

14. swindmill thread starter macrumors 6502a

swindmill

I already tried reinstalling Front Row. As I stated above, I have systemuiserver running now, I just don't have any menu items. The snippet from Console I posted above is my problem at this point, I just have no idea what it means.

You may want to try downloading the 10.4.5 combo update and extracting the search.bundle file and the systemuiserver.app and replacing them. This is how I got it running again. Maybe you will have better results and actually get your menu items back. See this thread:

http://discussions.apple.com/message.jspa?messageID=748910

15. indigoflowAS macrumors 6502

indigoflowAS

So what have we concluded?

Is it the "Enabler" file? or the update file from apple that is causing this?

16. swindmill thread starter macrumors 6502a

swindmill

I'm not sure but I've tried reinstalling the old Front Row hack with the old enabler and it didn't help. I've since replaced the bezelservices.framework with the one from the 10.4.5 combo update.

The stinker is, and I just realized this, my ex-girlfriend has the Tiger disc so I really want to figure this out

17. indigoflowAS macrumors 6502

indigoflowAS

hope ya'll are on good terms, my friend.

18. swindmill thread starter macrumors 6502a

swindmill

Everything is back to normal. I ended up needing a fresh copy of search.bundle in CoreServices. My menu extras ran fine without it (obviously, spotlight was MIA however) so I had a copy of the full search.bundle file sent to me from another 10.4.5 user after realizing that the same file from the 10.4.5 update was incomplete.

I can still say I've never had to reinstall OS X for maintenance reasons :)

19. TheMonarch macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

Uh oh. I have the same problem :(
    I was running on battery power and was on reserve power, I tried to shut down since I didn't know how long it would be before I got to an AC outlet and suddenly my PB forced itself to sleep during the shutting down process. :eek:

When I got to an outlet, SystemUIserver wouldn't startup. Anyone know where I could find search.bundle so that I could replace mine?

Thanks.