T. G. I. F.

Discussion in 'Community' started by emw, Feb 25, 2005.

1. emw macrumors G4

emw

Man, I don't know about the rest of you, but I can't wait for the weekend (yes, I know many of you outside the US are well into it by now... don't rub it in).

It's not so much that it's been a horrible week, I suppose, but I'm in the middle of a new project at work and I've been working long hours, doing lots of phone calls to various international divisions, complaining to developers about how our products don't work like they should, etc.

At least during part of all of this I've had downtime waiting for incremental application updates, so I've been able to keep abreast of this forum. But I am so ready to go home, have a beer, relax with the wife and kids, and enjoy a weekend without 6am phone calls and 10pm e-mails. 3 hours and counting...

Anyone else had "one of those weeks"?

2. Vster macrumors 6502

Sorry to hear about your long and hard week.

I had one to, just getting over this nasty stomach virus and my organic chemistry II test was really hard and I had to study my a$$ off for it! :(

3. kgarner macrumors 68000

kgarner

I've just been out of it this week. I can't focus on anything and my mind is constantly wandering. Oh look! Shiny objects! gotta run.

4. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

hehe, you said "breast". Happy Friday! Drink: On!

5. emw thread starter macrumors G4

emw

Yikes! "Stomach virus" and "study" should never have to be in the same sentence! I remember those days... kind of :D

6. emw thread starter macrumors G4

emw

LOL! Thanks for the great kick-start to the weekend!

7. apple2991 macrumors 6502

we were shootin at a mound of dirt
    well nothing was broken nothing was hurt
    but i probably really should have been at work
    but when my free time gone would you promise me this that you'll

please bury me with it

8. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

I've had a fairly busy week, building a new weblog that will be unveiled next week. Lots of PHP and CSS hairpulling! That's pretty much done now, and I, too, am looking forward to the weekend. My wife and daughter will be out of town, so it's just me and my son. We're going to have a 24-hour video game marathon from 5 a.m. tomorrow until 5 a.m. Sunday. I'll probably be blogging on it, so anyone who wants to see our "progress" should check it out (see blog address below).

9. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

24-HR video game marathon Wordmunger?!...damn. That's some 21st Century male-bonding right there...

As for me, I am in the process of moving out of my apartment and getting myself across the country to Texas (I am currently in Oregon). So I have had a long week of boxing things up and discovering the tremendous amount of stuff I have squirreled away.

Unfortunately, the weekend will be no respite for me, as I am actually going to be moving the big stuff tomorrow and then cleaning a bunch of nasty things, like ovens and behind refrigerators...

Besides, moving is always kinda depressing, since you know it is the end of an era.

Have a good weekend folks...

10. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

Ok, I thought I was the only one having a rough week. Started on Saturday night when our 3.5 month old daughter refused to sleep at all for the night at my in-law's. Didn't get much of a start on my homework for school due on Thursday. Stayed up every night well past 12:30 am to finish homework. Daughter didn't want to sleep through the night any night this week so would be up every hour between 2 and 5 (in order to minimize day-care time my wife and I are up at 5 getting ready for work). On top of that there is everything that needed to get done at work, product debug for something we wanted to ship this week, overseas customer support, and a glitch in one of our established products, all of which need to be done/fixed yesterday. To top it off, this morning I came within inches of spilling coffee on my PowerBook. Oh yeah, and I have a midterm next Thursday.

Things have picked up over the day though. Found the product glitch and a good fix, and tied up the support issue (not necessarily to everyone's liking but it should be out of my hair for now). Can't wait for work to be done. Just need to decide if I want to go to happy hour now.

Where in TX?

11. sjpetry macrumors 65816

sjpetry

I've had a hard week also, and my weekend is also full. :(

Our Speech and Debate team is going to nationals! :p :cool:

12. emw thread starter macrumors G4

emw

Ouch. You win. At least my kids (4 years, 16 months) sleep through the night. Of course, the 4 year old will occasionally come into our room to sleep with us at 4 in the morning, but that's no big deal.

I can't imagine working, going to school, and having a baby. Wow. Weekends aren't the same with young kids, are they? But before long, you'll be doing the video game marathon like wordmunger.

13. emw thread starter macrumors G4

emw

That's a good full! Congratulations! Where are nationals this year?

14. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Austin. I lived there for six years prior to moving to Portland. Great City (so is Portland, btw) - and more work for someone like me.

Luckily, I will be missing the SXSW madness...

Btw, that's a full plate you've got there mate...

15. sjpetry macrumors 65816

sjpetry

Washington, D.C.

16. emw thread starter macrumors G4

emw

Fun - if you haven't been there before I hope you have a chance to take in some of the history. The snow should be melted by tomorrow, I would think. Anyone there who can say?

17. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

I've been living in the Dallas area for nearly 6 years. Always trying to figure out if new neighbors are coming.

The plate isn't too bad. This has just been one of the worse weeks in a while. My current class isn't too bad as far as homework goes we just had our weekend eaten up by the trip to the in-law's and the lack of sleep on Saturday night just sort of snowballed. If we can keep the daughter happy this weekend I should find plenty of time to study and sleep. As I've said, work has gone well today so things are looking up. Definitely think I need to stop by happy hour on the way home for a quick beer and some darts. The coffee incident this morning really kind of iced it all though. If it had tipped to the side rather than straight back I'd be on the forum whining about how I had to get my PB fixed.

18. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Well-I'm on the opposite side of the coin here. I took the week off with some rollover vacation time I needed to use. So now my "vacation" is over. But it was great week! I just spent time here in good ol' Chicago exploring neighborhoods, going to museums, and shopping. I even picked myself up an antique bookcase from the 30's. Monday's too close!

19. Eevee macrumors 6502a

Eevee

Organic Chemistry test was so much fun for me. But then again, I was weird in college. Hope you did well.

Had a long week doing biochemistry experiments and working on my advisors' NIH grant which is due next Tuesday. Not really looking foward to the weeken since I need to prepare for my presentation next Tuesday in front of the whole department. Yikes!

Though, I am looking foward to spending more time w/ my wife and daughter on Sunday.

emw, you make phone calls during 6 am? :eek: What kind of job do you do?

wordmunger, are you going to play halo online during your 24-hour video game marathon? Let me know! :p

20. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

It's been so long since I felt TGIF. After quitting my corporate job and starting and running my own business, it's been very liberating setting my own hours, and being able to like snowboard at a moment's notice. But of course, the hours too can be longer and you take on more responsibilities but the positives for me outweigh the negatives.

21. emw thread starter macrumors G4

emw

I'm a project manager for a printing/prepress company. This week I've been dealing with a lot of international operations, who happen to be quite a bit ahead of us in time zone, so I needed to talk then so it wasn't so late their time.

22. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Monday morning feels so bad...

... everybody seems to nag me.

The Easybeats

23. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

I have a friend who just moved to Dallas (from Austin). She likes it surprisingly, as we used to joke about Dallas, which has more billboards in parts than I've ever seen and lots of guys with khaki chinos, cell-phone clips and black tees (often matching their black BMWs...)...arrghh.

seriously, I've always liked Debellum <sp?> and she says she likes the fact that there isn't such a huge student presence in social venues. This coming from a 23-yr-old is surprising, myself at 30 might actually like it more than I think...

She works at a Irish Bar somewhere and is gearing up for St Pattie's...she also works at some uber-hip clothing store...I don't know the name of either, unfortunately. If I stay in Texas long enough, I might find myself there myself, as people tend to gravitate there for work opportunities. I will probably also pop up to visit said girl when I am settled. So howdy, neighbor - I miss Texans.

24. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Yes. But the work that follows you home will be a constant PITA for a few more years. Meh....