T minus 12 hours Until My DP2.5 is canceled

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by slughead, Aug 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slughead macrumors 68030

slughead

I figured I'd make a thread of this since so many are pissed about the 20 day setback for these machines (DP2.5 G5).

Basically I have to turn down a contract if I don't get this thing this week it's ESSENTIAL to the work I have to do. If I turn down the contract, I can't afford the computer. So they've forced me to cancel. I've given Apple another 10 days to ship it, and they've yet to come through.

I heard some G5s are shipping today, if mine's not one of them I'll call up and cancel.

Yeah yeah, I should've ordered the 2.0 well it's too late now.

I figure if that PC switcher guy can post here, I can since I'm genuinely pissed and saddened about what I have to do.

I wanted to post this to let people know that this last minute delay HURT some people. I might have been able to negotiate a later deadline for the contract if they'd just informed me a week earlier. Instead, they waited 12 hours until the day it was supposed to ship to inform me that it'd be delayed almost 3 weeks.

A lot of you will think this is a "troll" post. Well, without people like me, you're NEVER going to see an end to this BS. Complain all you want, if you don't cancel your orders when they screw up, they'll never change.

This is not acceptable behavior for a company, and there's a petition going around to make it stop (could someone post a link to it pls?).

2. SolidGun macrumors 6502

SolidGun

You are right....businesses that provide inadequate services should not be dealt with. I am sorry about the loss of your contract. Hopefully things will work out for you.
    I wonder what is with all the delays at Apple. This is happening to a lot of orders.

3. MikeLaRiviere macrumors regular

What kind of work do you need to do that requires dual 2.5s?

Mike LaRiviere

4. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

It's not acceptable, I completely agree. A company as large as Apple should bloody well get their act together.

5. recursivejon macrumors regular

I know how you feel, my G5 was originally supposed to ship back on 7/30 at the latest. I need it for a school project that requires 3D graphics, so I'm still stuck on my Pismo for whatever work i can do until 8/23.

I'd suggest making them send you a 2.0 and then allowing you to exchange it for a 2.5 when theyre shipping in volume.

Good luck

6. benpatient macrumors 68000

i believe the most applicable phrases are "form over function" and "dual 3Ghz by summer 2004...promise"

7. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

There are aq few issues at hand. Yes apple should hold itself to higher standards, but it never will so you should give up that dream. There is also an INHERENT RISK in ordering new technology. You risk that delays will happen, or that when you get it being the first off the line may have more problems ... but of course since you spent your money these risks don't apply.

Cancelling one or two orders isn't going to change anything, how long did people wait for ipod minis? how long are they still waiting? Apple KNOWS what it can get away with ... even the BigMac Cluster was waiting on those xserves even after they sold off the original cluster. Sadly this is how apple does business and its how they've done business for a long time. History will always repeat itself and you not doing research before buying this machine is partly your own fault. I mean apple consistently delays the amount of time it takes to ship a machine, go back and read about the original 17" pb's, or the original Dual 2.0's ... they always do it , and probably always will. If your really that angry cancel your order I guess, but I won't be pissed off with you because of the inherent risks and history involved.

8. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Yeah, but...

I completely understand you anger over the shipping delay, but....why would you make promises you don't know you can keep? If you're contract requires a 2.5G5, and you don't have one, why would you agree to get it done? On another note, would having a 2.0 really be that bad?

9. invaLPsion macrumors 65816

invaLPsion

I agree with this guy 100%. Apple needs to have better communication with its customers about ship dates. Some people actually need these computers for their jobs... :mad:

10. jcook793 macrumors regular

Yeah, I hate to kick a guy when he's down, but I agree with some of the posters. How can you bank a contract on a piece of hardware that has never been shipped? You can't do business on the bleeding edge like that.

11. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I agree that it's risky to base a business decision on something that hasn't shipped yet.

However, Apple is in the wrong here. Missed shipping dates are rampant. It's not like they've blown one or two. It seems like 50% of the products they offer ship late, or in tiny quantities, etc. They want businesses to buy their equipment, but they cannot deliver it on time, and businesses won't stand for it. The "pro" and server lines are the worst - and they should be the best. If you set a ship date, you should be able to stick to it the vast majority of the time. Occasional setbacks are understood. But Apple pre-announces virtually everything.

12. belair macrumors 6502

belair

Well he is certainly making buisness on the edge and it is also true that apple has done this before and people should know by now that they ARE unreliable.

For me this is a breach of contract for apple.
    They are out of their league if they want to promote great computers three to four months in advance and then don't deliver.

Apple should get their communication and their enormous EGO right!
    Period.

13. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Need?

Wait, what did you do before these computers were announced? Did the job get created after dual2.5G5s existed?

I understand the frustration, but am appalled at the poor planning by people. If you don't have the equipment or materials in possession, don't promise to get the job done...

PS...Apple NEEDS to get their act together. Just cuz they make a superior product does not mean they can ignore all the little things (okay, big) like shipping ON TIME every once in a while.

14. James L macrumors 6502a

I don't think this is a troll post, though I must say that I agree with the people who state it doesn't make for good business to base business decisions on something you don't even have.

More importantly though is your comment "Well, without people like me, you're NEVER going to see an end to this BS". I agree with you, but posting it here isn't going to do a damn thing. I sincerely hope you sent this to Apple feedback, yelled all the way up the food chain with customer service, etc. Nothing anyone posts on a forum is going to do a thing (but it is nice to vent I understand).

For people who think this won't work, it has for me in the past. I have had exchanges on machines that I have purchased that they should not have done... i.e., the machine was within specs but it wasn't perfect. They exchanged it, no restocking fees, no new shipping fees, etc.

I guess I am saying that if you are posting this here to vent your frustrations fine. If you are posting it here to "make a change" then it is pretty much useless.

Cheers!

15. revenuee macrumors 68020

revenuee

I wish Nikon would speed up it's D70 shipping dates -- they gave me a very vague time estimate of 1 - 2 months ... LOL

16. LeeTom macrumors 68000

LeeTom

Even though Apple is being lame here, you are ultimately to blame for the loss of business. You knew that Apple has had these problems before, and you went for the cutting edge anyway. I'm positive you DON'T NEED a dual 2.5GHz machine to do whatever work it is you need to do. You could waltz into an Apple Store right now and pick up a Dual 2.0 or 1.8, and bring it back and get your work done just fine.

Lee Tom

17. Jo-Kun macrumors 6502a

well when I ordered my 2x1.8Ghz... I was lucky in one way that it only took 2weeks shipping, but since my Powerbook got stolen 1 week before I ordered it... I had no computer but still jobs to deliver... they took me longer than it would have been with my G5... but I used a friends iBook instead to help me out of trouble... long hours... lot of cursing (using 700MB files in Photoshop on a machine that has only 640mb ram... its allmost suicide... it allso was on my Pb before...) but I worked nights and my clients got what they needed and two weeks later I got my G5 wich is running sooo well... my clients were satisfied... and even tough my G5 wasn't here I did deliver the images... so stop whining... look for a solution instead... wich might mean: ask friends who have mac's to help you out for a start... long nights and a lost of cursing... but you will be able to do the contract... and when the G5 arrives... you would be able to do it even faster...

I used to do all of what I do now on a Pb G4 400 with 1GB ram... a lot slower but it worked... ok my latest scans were 1,2GB in size... I think I would have chocked my Pb on that one... the 700Mb scans took allready 30min on the Pb and 3min on my G5... and its all about diskwritingspeed since the scansoftware doesn't use a lot of ram... opening the file in Photoshop was a different story, lots of waiting again on the Pb... :p

18. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says....I see both sides of the issue....I understand the frustration - heck, I am waiting for a 2.5 myself - but it is wrong to base contracts on a computer that was not shipping at the time. I would not promise anything to anybody based on an "estimated shipping date" be it from Apple or any other company. And to the person (not the original poster) that cries "breach of contract" that is a bit extreme....as I said, Apple gave an "estimated" shipping date - not some iron-clad promise.....oh yeah!

19. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I'm sorry to hear about the difficulty that you are having. Like others it's just smart to not sign a contract on something that you don't have. This sort of shipping problem seems to be part of the history of Apple. I just wish that they would come out and tell us exactly what is the real problem.

I hope that everything will work out for the best. ;)

20. U2Rules! macrumors member

I'm a teacher, and our school district has mandated that we stop using Mac's for this reason. Apple has left us hanging one time too many with late shipments and now we've signed a 5 year deal with Dell. Not filling orders in a timely manner is costing Apple more and more.....

21. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I'm actually glad to hear that. It's the larger cancellations like this that may be able to make an impact with Apple.

22. slughead thread starter macrumors 68030

slughead

I didn't "bank" on getting the computer, I just needed it for the work. I can end the contract any time before midnight on Thursday.

True, I did put some of my reputation on the line, but at least I'm not going to be held legally liable :X. I also bought a SATA raptor that I don't know what to do with.

So I cancel the order tonight, cancel the contract tomorrow (which will probably take all day).

I'm not sure if I'm allowed to discuss what I'm doing specifically (especially since they haven't told me everything yet), but I'll say that it requires lots of computing power, part of the payment for the contract is the computer, and I have to give them my hard drive when I finish. They've also told me it's about 500 hours of work, and I wont have enough time to do it if I start any later than next week.

Apple still has 8 hours to tell me it's shipping, but had they shipped it on time (or told me in a timely fashion) it would've saved me a LOT of trouble.

BTW thanks for all the support guys. I've since realized it was a bad idea to sign this thing and bank on Apple when they were having problems. I was just so excited that I could FINALLY have some work that I jumped on the contract immediately without thinking. Taking risks is a part of life, I just made a mistake is all.

23. daxdagr8t macrumors member

You guys are not alone, even apple employees are frustrated with apple.Last time I went to the apple store at Costa Mesa some of them were discussing strategies to what to tell customers about when the dual 2.5 will arrive.They were supposed to arrive together with the new displays.I havnt been to the apple store lately and I dont know if they have it in stock.

24. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

25. friarbayliff macrumors regular

ha ha, that's great edesignuk.

But yeah, when is Apple going to get over these supply woes?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.