Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

teknikal90

macrumors 68040
Jan 28, 2008
Vancouver, BC
Nobody is "giving away" unlimited streaming. Somebody is paying. You are paying a monthly bill. If you are not using all of your bandwidth, then you are subsidizing others who are. If you are watching ads, then the advertisers are paying. T-mobile doesn't have end-to-end control of the data pipeline. They, or their partners, have to pay for the back haul of that data across the regional providers and they are not doing that out of the goodness of their hearts, somebody is paying. If I were a T-Mobile subscriber and not using binge, then I'd be looking for a lowered bill so to not be underwriting those who are. Unless all of this video is ad driven, of course. Then that seems like a fair trade off for those who partake.
if you were a Tmobile customer that isn't on binge, you are still paying the exact same bill that you had agreed to pay before this whole binge thing came into scene. so not sure why you would complain.

tonyr6

macrumors 68000
Oct 13, 2011
Brooklyn NY
As I said all I do on my phone when I am out and about besides of course calls is stream music. I never watch videos only at home on Wifi.

teknikal90

macrumors 68040
Jan 28, 2008
Vancouver, BC
You're right. Most companies out there are not so blatant as to do something so obviously against NN. Don't know why the FCC hasn't kicked their teeth in yet.
so you're disagreeing based on political principle, not based on the actual value a consumer and customer of t-mobile actually gets by this program

exactly what Legere is saying.

Surf Donkey

Suspended
May 12, 2015
As I said all I do on my phone when I am out and about besides of course calls is stream music. I never watch videos only at home on Wifi.

Well this is setting a precedent for your cable/dsl ISP to start throttling, err "optimizing", all videos at your home soon too, to help you get in under your newly place bandwidth cap. And they will choose which videos are "optimized". This is all for the good of the customer of course.

Reactions: iOSFangirl6001

magicman32

Suspended
Dec 25, 2007
I'm shocked at the backlash from this, I really am, especially considering it can be turned off and the consumer is in total control. Also shocked at the people who don't know what net neutrality and zero rating actually is and are emphatic in their ignorance and/or complete bias against T-Mobile.

Thought people were tired of the status quo and duopoly of the wireless industry. Evidently I was wrong. Some people like being bent over and taking it while going to their happy place. Competition? Who needs it? More power to you.

Surf Donkey

Suspended
May 12, 2015
I'm shocked at the backlash from this, I really am, especially considering it can be turned off and the consumer is in total control. Also shocked at the people who don't know what net neutrality and zero rating actually is and are emphatic in their ignorance or complete bias against T-Mobile.

Thought people were tired of the status quo and duopoly of the big 2. Evidently I was wrong. Some people like being bent over and taking it while going to their happy place. Competition? Who needs it? More power to you.

Are you honestly accepting this as an answer to the EFF's findings?

https://twitter.com/EFF/status/685199019161726976

teknikal90

macrumors 68040
Jan 28, 2008
Vancouver, BC
While everyone argues about 480p vs phone size, I will delve into the real issue of net neutrality...

Imagine you want to launch your own movie/TV streaming website to compete directly with Netflix because you don't like the color red and Netflix uses a lot of red. So you register a domain name, design a slick website, broker deals with all the major production companies etc. You have now successfully created and launched your new service which is half the price of Netflix and provides double the content. A year goes by but your subscriber base is still very small so you decide to investigate why. You discover that consumers with T-Mobile are given unlimited data access to Netflix for free while accessing your site eats through their data cap. This means its cheaper for the consumer to use Netflix even though your site is arguably better. You dig deeper and find that you too could make an agreement with T-Mobile and allow your customers unlimited access. However doing so would require weeks or even months of paperwork and hiring lawyers to ensure everything is correct. But you're just a small startup. You don't have the time or cash. Slowly you lose money and declare bankruptcy. Netflix continues to grow and dominate the streaming industry.

With Net Neutrality, it is illegal for an ISP to give priority and otherwise special access to a particular site. This is not designed to directly benefit the consumer but will protect them by maintaining competition in the marketplace. Even if becoming a T-Mobile Binge On partner is completely free it is still violating the spirit of Net Neutrality as it is endorsing one service over another.

true, but that is competition in general.
your case can also be used to illustrate how sometimes small startup firms can't compete with big firms because big firms can afford to pay more to have advertising in NFL games, and the poor little startups cant.

should we ban superbowl advertising?

Reactions: Cam Johnson

mikeydeezy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
MN, USA
Ding ding! This is exactly the issue. They're downgrading quality for non partner services. Until they can resolve this bug or admit that they knowingly downgraded the resolution for ALL video and not just partner services, I won't switch to T-Mobile.

You could always just turn the feature off and use your mobile data viewing video. I'm on the Unlimited plan so I keep Binge On off at all times.

Atomic Walrus

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2012
The thing is, 480p from a dvd looks fine on a big tv, but on a 5inch screen it looks like it was recorded with a potato

There's a huge difference between a 480P DVD (~10mbps) and 480P video streams (~1mbps for YouTube) and this might have a good bit to do with what you're describing.

Reactions: tonyr6

Suspended
Oct 13, 2015
lol yea

T-Mobile sheep and Magenta Kool-Aid drinkers nearly always give TMO free passes. The number of back n forth Tweets is hilarious on TMO Promoted tweets/ads

I would give up on MR T-Mobile white knights but I never cease to find their replies amusing or on occasion interesting.

Nicely summed up Chief
( Thumbsup since MR doesn't support most emotes )

lol yep
Sadly however as the whole ATT WiFi feature delay debacle illustrated TMO and Sprint clearly to some degree had the FCC in their pocket book since both cariers got away Scott free for so long ignoring some regulations when their WiFi features launched

Wow..absolutely nothing of worth was added by your reply. As nothing of worth was added by mine. See how that works?

joueboy

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2008
Since the Binge-On was introduced I started having problem when streaming an HD video. The video stutters or buffers. When I do a speedtest I'm getting 20+ mbps while my home internet that registers <10mbps has no issue streaming, even when just less than 5 mins. HD video. The more John defends about this, I think they do throttle the speed if not supported content provider. Or maybe the network tries to do a realtime down conversion of the quality of the video a little bit. Just like when Opera or Silk browser experience to have a faster browsing experience. In this case a video which is the reason why I used the word stutter instead of buffer. Because the video loads pass the playback timeline indicator. Well I hope it's not my phone or the updated OS. I currently using iPhone 6S Plus on iOS 9.2. Anybody else has the same problem?

btrach144

macrumors demi-god
Aug 28, 2015
Indiana

Surf Donkey

Suspended
May 12, 2015
Since the Binge-On was introduced I started having problem when streaming an HD video. The video stutters or buffers. When I do a speedtest I'm getting 20+ mbps while my home internet that registers <10mbps has no issue streaming, even when just less than 5 mins. HD video. The more John defends about this, I think they do throttle the speed if not supported content provider. Or maybe the network tries to do a realtime down conversion of the quality of the video a little bit. Just like when Opera or Silk browser experience to have a faster browsing experience. In this case a video which is the reason why I used the word stutter instead of buffer. Because the video loads pass the playback timeline indicator. Well I hope it's not my phone or the updated OS. I currently using iPhone 6S Plus on iOS 9.2. Anybody else has the same problem?

That is 100% what they do. You are automatically opted into Binge On, and they throttle all videos. And still count them against your data cap if they are not a supported partner or whatever.

http://www.androidcentral.com/it-tu...tling-all-video-through-bingeon-according-eff

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
so you're disagreeing based on political principle, not based on the actual value a consumer and customer of t-mobile actually gets by this program

exactly what Legere is saying.

Take out political and you're right. This isn't political. This is treating all data equally being the right thing to do.

rdlink

macrumors 68040
Nov 10, 2007
Out of the Reach of the FBI
Legere was spot on with his letter. This is a non-issue, and the only reason it's kicked up the "controversy" is because of click baiters.

Frankly, Google should be ashamed of the manner in which they brought it up. It was clearly stated in the terms of use for Binge On. Given that it was disingenuous for Google to raise such a stink about it.

And the "independent testing" was just an attempt to create more controversy where none existed. TMO had already stated that it was true. Why did we need an "independent test" to confirm that, except for more attention for the "testers."

It really is a positive thing for users of the service. They get free video streaming on a ton of services, and less of their data being used on others. If they want full HD streaming for a particular site they can just turn off the service.

People really should just move along and drop this non-issue. There are more important things to deal with in the world.

Surf Donkey

Suspended
May 12, 2015
Legere was spot on with his letter. This is a non-issue, and the only reason it's kicked up the "controversy" is because of click baiters.

Frankly, Google should be ashamed of the manner in which they brought it up. It was clearly stated in the terms of use for Binge On. Given that it was disingenuous for Google to raise such a stink about it.

And the "independent testing" was just an attempt to create more controversy where none existed. TMO had already stated that it was true. Why did we need an "independent test" to confirm that, except for more attention for the "testers."

It really is a positive thing for users of the service. They get free video streaming on a ton of services, and less of their data being used on others. If they want full HD streaming for a particular site they can just turn off the service.

People really should just move along and drop this non-issue. There are more important things to deal with in the world.

Stop backing the corporations here. Did you read the terms of Binge on before you were automatically opted in? Did Tmo send them to you via a text message?

And this is an extremely important issue to deal with. This is preferred treatment of data because another corporation won't invest money to deal with the data needs of its customers properly. This is a precedent that should be fought.

TheShadowKnows!

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2014
National Capital Region
Looks like someone's confused on the definitions of 'throttling' (which refers to speed/bandwidth) vs. 'data cap' (which refers to capacity). When this CEO says "We're not throttling, that's bullcrap", what he really means to say is "We're not putting a data cap on you".

Slowing the bandwidth (or speed) by which you can download all videos across all content providers (whether they opt in to this service or not), is, by very definition, throttling the bandwidth.

Learn your terms, John Legere.

I suspect the reason you're avoiding the word throttling like the plague is because throttling is explicitly prohibited in net neutrality laws.

You can't break the law by trying to confuse people with wrong definitions of words or semantics.

#TMobile #netneutrality #JohnLegere #throttle #throttling #YesItsThrotting #DataCapsAreDifferentThanThrottles #BingeOn

Wow. So much ignorance exposed with so much conviction. It is you that needs to learn terms, not John Legere.

Let me explain it in two words: time versus space

T-Mobile is not slowing the bandwidth of content, as bandwidth applies solely to the time-domain (symbols-per-second). What T-Mobile is doing, instead, is down-converting original content from 1080p30 to 480p30 (or 60). That is a spatial reduction of content, that happens to be a geometric payload reduction over the wire by a factor of 4^2=16X.

There is no a flow-control or throttling of bandwidth -- only spatial reduction: time remains unchanged, space gets reduced 0(16X).

rdlink

macrumors 68040
Nov 10, 2007
'Binge On' reduces the bandwidth requirements for videos by degrading video quality (and thereby the bandwidth required to stream video of that quality). That, in and of itself, isn't a problem. The problem is in the implementation.

If it *only* did so for 'Binge On' *partner* sites, the people complaining would have absolutely *zero* leg to stand on, because the reduced video quality is the trade-off for the bandwidth not being counted against your limits.

The problem, and what people are *actually* complaining about is this:
'Binge On' degrades the quality of *all* videos (streamed, or not) from *all* sites (partnered, or not), but still counts bandwidth from non-partnered sites against the users' bandwidth limits.

Both the users *and* the non-partner sites whose videos are effected by 'Binge On' have a justifiable reason to complain about this service as it currently works.

No, in fact they don't have a justifiable reason to complain. Because the terms of service clearly state what is happening, and they knew (or should have known) before they toggled their switch. If TMO said they were optimizing all video, and the user chose to participate they have no gripe whatsoever. And Google or others have no gripe, because the user decided that they wanted Google's data to be compressed.

Soni Sanjay

macrumors 6502
Dec 25, 2013
Yeah, no....

Video-Resolution-SD-480p-vs-HD-720p-vs-HD-1080p.jpg

Terrible photo, terrible comparison.

keifer.street

Contributor
Jul 9, 2013
Wow. So much ignorance exposed with so much conviction. It is you that needs to learn terms, not John Legere.

T-Mobile is not slowing the bandwidth of content, as bandwidth applies solely to the time-domain (symbols-per-second). What T-Mobile is doing, instead, is down-converting original content from 1080p30 to 480p30 (or 60). That is a spatial reduction of content, that happens to be a geometric payload reduction over the wire by a factor of 4^2=16X.

There is no a flow-control or throttling of bandwidth -- only spatial reduction: time remains unchanged, space gets reduced 0(16X).
You're 100% wrong. Video content providers that don't support downscaling have demonstrated that the video speeds are slowed to a bit rate of 1.5 Mb per second, often resulting in frequent buffering for end users (even though their internet connection is much faster). They are throttling. No matter how badly you say that they aren't

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2016/...-bingeon-optimization-just-throttling-applies

No, it's not doing magical compression.

rdlink

macrumors 68040
Nov 10, 2007
Stop backing the corporations here. Did you read the terms of Binge on before you were automatically opted in? Did Tmo send them to you via a text message?

And this is an extremely important issue to deal with. This is preferred treatment of data because another corporation won't invest money to deal with the data needs of its customers properly. This is a precedent that should be fought.

I am not a TMO customer. But "the corporations" here is actually doing their customers a favor. Period. There is a difference between a practice that is bad for consumers and one that is not, and being able to tell the difference is a sign of intelligence...

Reactions: ToroidalZeus
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.