Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

TMobile-Tourist-Plan-250x328.jpg
T-Mobile has announced a new $30 prepaid Tourist Plan for international visitors to the U.S. that offers 1,000 minutes of domestic calling, unlimited domestic and international texting to over 140 countries and regions, and unlimited 2G data with the first 2GB at 4G LTE speeds.

Tourists visiting the U.S. can visit a T-Mobile store with an unlocked GSM smartphone, sign up and pay for the plan, and receive a free SIM card to access the carrier's network. The one-time, one-line plan lasts 3 weeks and cannot be renewed after automatically expiring at 11:59 p.m. on the 21st day of service.

International phone numbers cannot be ported to the U.S., so T-Mobile will assign customers a new U.S. number when they sign up for the Tourist Plan. International calling from the U.S. to other countries is not included in the plan and cannot be added as an additional feature, but customers can use Wi-Fi-based calling services.

The Tourist Plan includes 200MB of U.S. data roaming, but other T-Mobile perks such as Mobile Without Borders, Binge On, and Music Freedom are not included. The plan permits tethering, with Mobile Hotspot using data from the 2GB allotment of 4G LTE data, followed by slower speeds afterwards.

The new plan is available June 12. Postpaid and T-Mobile@Work customers are ineligible.

Article Link: T-Mobile Debuts $30 Tourist Plan Featuring 2GB of 4G LTE Data

Ben2998

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2015
Canada
I haven't checked the exchange rate but I think Roam Mobility might be cheaper and offer more data. Usually, when I visit the US, I either use them or Rogers' Roam like home.

Funny thing is, Roam mostly uses T-Mobile's network in the US.

Corrode

macrumors 65816
Dec 26, 2008
Calgary, AB
Why hasn't everyone in the US switched to T-Mobile? They seem to offer value at every corner.

We are dying up here in Canada with our $100/month plans.

EDIT: (just realized that "dying" might be a bit dramatic. Anyhoo...)

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Switched from ATT and haven't looked back. No regrets. My wife and I are saving about $40 a month and have faster speeds.

Reactions: nostaws

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2010
here and there but not over there
Yeah, I don't think he can be. I just switched from AT&T this year, and I have to say it's just as good as my AT&T service (and I'm not just talking about NYC.) Also with T-Mobile my LTE in NYC is actually faster than what I had with AT&T.

Same here - t-mobile rocks.

Never had an issue since I switched 2 month ago ... and I save a ton of money for our family plan compared to att ... And the kids happily stream all day long without eating up any data.

Reactions: driceman

Wondercow

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2008
Toronto, Canada
Why hasn't everyone in the US switched to T-Mobile? They seem to offer value at every corner.

I pay $35 for my Wind Mobile service with unlimited everything. If you're in an area that has Wind coverage I suggest you look in to them.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
Not a current T-Mobile customer with a recent smartphone, I'm guessing.

I was with T-Mobile at the start of the year but had to switch to AT&T since the T-Mobile network was so bad :(. I loved everything else about T-Mobile but the poor network was a deal breaker.
[doublepost=1464706367][/doublepost]

I agree but only when you can use their network.
[doublepost=1464706656][/doublepost]
Yeah, I don't think he can be. I just switched from AT&T this year, and I have to say it's just as good as my AT&T service (and I'm not just talking about NYC.) Also with T-Mobile my LTE in NYC is actually faster than what I had with AT&T.

I was but switched to AT&T the beginning of this year. I would have T-Mobile if I ever lived in NY city but in my area and the places I usually travel, I get poor connectivity.

Reactions: Howyalikdemapls

Kajje

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2012
Asia
They sell similar tourist sim cards at the airport in Bali. A 2GB sim card on the LTE network will set you back a full $3.

I hear you say that's a good deal but I'll tell you, it's a total rip off. Them exact same cards are available outside the airport for half that price.

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
This is excellent and just what I needed last year when I was visiting the states. I ended up paying $50 for a new SIM just for 5 days. This more reasonable and economical.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009

You get what you pay...
I have att and it's the only one I can trust to have decent coverage in most of the areas vs others that don't even work inside certain buildings like T-Mobile for me.

Reactions: Howyalikdemapls

Howyalikdemapls

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2013
I'm in Southern California and recently switched to T-Mobile from AT&T. I've read the speeds are fast when you're connected to T-Mobile's LTE, which sounds great if I didn't only have signal about 50% of the time. That being said I am still using the iPhone 6+ which doesn't support band 12, but I'm sure lots of people are still using the 6/6+ too.

My brother lives in LA and says it's fine, but it sucks in the suburbs.

iamcdn604

macrumors newbie
May 31, 2016
I'm in Canada and use Roam Mobility whenever I travel to the U.S.

Roam uses the T-Mobile network but their plans are a lot more flexible and they give you 500MB of LTE per day (10.5GB over 21 days) instead of 2GB with this plan. Plus I get free calling back to Canada, and I can keep my Roam SIM card and reload it for each trip. Being a Canadian living close to the border I travel to the US quite often.

This plan might be a good option for some visitors but I'll stick with Roam.

Reactions: American Hero

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
They sell similar tourist sim cards at the airport in Bali. A 2GB sim card on the LTE network will set you back a full $3.

I hear you say that's a good deal but I'll tell you, it's a total rip off. Them exact same cards are available outside the airport for half that price.

I suggest we all use our frequent flyer miles to get to Bali.
Get the sim for $ 1.50 and fly back.

Or, better yet, buy 1,000nds and make a business out of it.

Reactions: Kajje

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere

T-Mobile is missing a lot of coverage still. I know they have improved a lot and are about as good as ATT and Verizon in major cities, but go out into rural areas and that coverage drops off quickly. And for your $100 a month plans in Canada try looking at prepaid plans. I lived up there for 3 and a half years and it while plans were about as bad as the US it wasn't that hard to find something in the $40 or $50 range.

hlfway2anywhere

Cancelled
Jul 15, 2006
Was at an outlet mall in SoCal the other day with an iPhone 6s and TMo and reception was near-nonexistent. Not sure where you're getting your info from.
i'm getting my info from having the service. also, i don't believe i was addressing you.

Reactions: Lazy

patrickhb113

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2014
iPhone 6s with t-Mobile, no service in the shop at work, no service at my sons school and no service at App State in Boone, NC.(Thankful for wi-fi calling) Other than that I am satisfied with t-mobile. AT&T didn't work in my house!

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I wish I could be a permanent tourist. Or could just get like a 4GB plan and 1GB plan for like $70-75/mo. Hopefully T-Mobile has some sort of deals later this year because I'd really like to switch and have it be worth the potential loss in coverage. We don't travel into rural areas as much as we used to though.

Reactions: drumcat

Grahamps

macrumors member
Apr 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
I recently made the move from AT&T to T-Mobile with my 5S, and it's a "struggle" getting used to the degraded/lost service. Since the experience is more inconvenient than impossible to live with, I am holding out for the 7+ (which, judging by the other forums, makes me a freak). For sure, I am betting on the improved phone/network compatibility to get my service experience back to normal, or better.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.