Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

osofast240sx

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2011
I don't either, T-Mobile doesn't even have 4g.more like faux G.

AT&T has 4g but not tmobile
Wrong AT&T does not have 4G even their LTE is still considered by the industry to be 3.99G.
Fact 1: t-mobile HSPA is twice as fast as AT&T. Averaging 6.30Mbps
Fact 2: t-mobile HSPA+ is twice as fast as AT&T. Averaging 10Mbps
Fact 3: t-mobile (3G AWS) is as high as 34Mbps
I can go on if u like.

viperGTS

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2010
As of today I have cancelled and ported over my number from AT&T to T-Mobile. I can't handle AT&Ts extra slow data speeds. I get between 5-10Mbps on my 4S on T-mobile just at my house. 3G on T-Mobile is fully active in my area. On my Nexus 4, I get 17-21Mbps.

One thing to note, iMessage will not work on T-Mobile since they are an unsupported carrier. If you have a plan with unlimited messages, that shouldn't matter.

iMessage works fine for me with my phone number on T-Mobile.

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
T-Mobile has less LTE coverage because they just started rolling out their LTE. And with their huge swaths of spectrum + MetroPCS's spectrum, they will have the most bandwidth out of any LTE network. Plus, the new T-Mobile iPhone 5 can fallback to 3G 1700/1900 MHz, HSPA+ 21 1700/1900 MHz and their smokin' HSPA+ 42 1700 MHz. I've seen your trolling posts about T-Mobile here.
MetroPCS spectrum will ONLY help in the areas where they operate, which is pretty much major areas. TMobile never needed help in the middle of Boston/NYC, etc. They need tremendous help outside of these cities because they refuse to hang up HSPA, it's mostly EDGE.
Get with the program here. They have less coverage because of money and that AT&T/Verizon are buying out spectrum licenses left and right.
They have the money. They were just too cheap to use it. They waited until years after AT&T bought up all the 850/1900 spectrum for their 3G, and then realized that they needed to do it also. All that was left at that time was AWS and now look that did to them. A hilariously spotty network with EDGE as their major data speed and fast data in the middle of cities. What use are fast speeds in the city, when you will have EDGE outside of the city (where most people live)
Wrong AT&T does not have 4G even their LTE is still considered by the industry to be 3.99G.
Fact 1: t-mobile HSPA is twice as fast as AT&T. Averaging 6.30Mbps
Fact 2: t-mobile HSPA+ is twice as fast as AT&T. Averaging 10Mbps
Fact 3: t-mobile (3G AWS) is as high as 34Mbps
I can go on if u like.

Great! You keep ignoring the fact that AT&T has exponentially more HSPA on their network than TMobile does. Who cares if T-Mobile is so damn fast in the middle of major cities? There's a 99% chance that VZW/AT&T already have LTE deployed there and their speeds are much faster with lower pings.

What use are these speeds if they have barely deployed it across their native network?

Let's also not forget that both VZW/AT&T have committed to building out LTE-A across their network starting by the year end. T-Mobile will still be stuck with abysmal EDGE because they're too cheap to upgrade all sites to at least HSPA.

Last edited:

M5RahuL

macrumors 68040
Aug 1, 2009
TeXaS
As of today I have cancelled and ported over my number from AT&T to T-Mobile. I can't handle AT&Ts extra slow data speeds. I get between 5-10Mbps on my 4S on T-mobile just at my house. 3G on T-Mobile is fully active in my area. On my Nexus 4, I get 17-21Mbps.

One thing to note, iMessage will not work on T-Mobile since they are an unsupported carrier. If you have a plan with unlimited messages, that shouldn't matter.

I just signed up for their unlimited everything [ $70 ] plan on my unlocked iP5 [ from AT&T, but waiting on the T-Mobile AWS equipped iPhone 5 launch ]

Where in Denver are you ? I'm in Thornton [ close to 120th and I-25 ] ... but haven't tested 3G yet!

EbookReader

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 3, 2012

All T-Mobile Family Plans from now on have both Unlimited Talk and Text. You can pick the "data" though.

NewAnger

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2012
Denver Colorado
All T-Mobile Family Plans from now on have both Unlimited Talk and Text. You can pick the "data" though.

I forgot where I had posted this that you replies to but I was wrong. imessage does work as does facetime over 3G and tethering. All the the things Verizon and AT&T don't want you to do you can on T-Mobile. I hope they continue to grab the thousands of unhappy users on the other two crappy networks.

hexonxonx

macrumors 601
Jul 4, 2007
Denver Colorado
It sounds like straight talk is a far better option since it uses att's network.

You'd have to deal with walmart initially, and t-mobile likely has better customer service, but their network just cannot begin to rival att's.
Not everyone gets good reception with AT&T. After 7 years, I finally had enough of the usual .50Mbps data speeds and cancelled my account. This was after discovering that I could get 17-21Mbps on T-Mobile. I wished T-Mobile would have made the changes sooner because I wasted so much time on AT&T just to have the iPhone. Verizon was even worse for me.

mackandproud

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2008
If the places where you use your phone magically align with the locations of t mobile towers, you're in luck.

But most people are closer to att towers simply because there are far more of them.

It's not difficult to figure out, really.

Wicked1

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
New Jersey
Yeah! tell me what family of 4 will get by on only 500MB each?

They need to make it the 2GB plan, then you are looking at much more. Personally for me, T-Mobile does not have the speeds and plan benefit that AT&T does for me.

EbookReader

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 3, 2012
http://www.tmonews.com/2013/04/t-mo...t-250k-pre-registrations-for-iphone-5-launch/

T-Mobile Execs See Higher Store Traffic Post-UNcarrier Announcement, 250K Pre-Registrations For iPhone 5 Launch

Screen-Shot-2013-04-08-at-10.11.50-PM.png

200,000 existing customers pre-orders
50,000 new customers pre-orders

not bad considering it went into pre-orders about 5 days ago

EbookReader

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 3, 2012
Pre-registered just means they asked to be notified. That is different than per-orders.

oppps...my mistake. It looks like there is decent demand for iphone 5 on T-Mobile

http://www.tmonews.com/2013/04/t-mobile-cmo-calls-first-day-iphone-sales-gangbusting/

With their first complete sales day of the iPhone winding down, T-Mobile’s Chief Marketing Officer Mike Sievert reports “gangbusting” sales.

“Today has been gangbusters for T-Mobile,” Chief Marketing Officer Mike Sievert said in a statement to AllThingsD. “We experienced lines out the door this morning at nearly all of our almost 3,000 stores nationwide.”

Lines tended to die down as the day went on, though after speaking with reps in dozens of stores across the country traffic remained steady even after early morning lines subsided.

Fattytail

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2012
I was at a local T-Mobile and don't recall ever having seen more than two people in the store at a time in my many trips there. This time, there was definitely a line that went out the door. Ridiculous.

EbookReader

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 3, 2012
I was at a local T-Mobile and don't recall ever having seen more than two people in the store at a time in my many trips there. This time, there was definitely a line that went out the door. Ridiculous.

there is pent up demand for the iphone from T-Mobile customers.

2 million "unofficial" iphone on T-Mobile was reported a few weeks back.

EbookReader

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 3, 2012
the Metro PCS merger voted through. To take effect May 1st.

Also,
T-Mobile_Simple_Choice_Plans-630x206.jpg

woudn't it be better if T-Mobile get rid of family plan

($90 for 3 lines, or $30 each)
($100 for 4 lines, or $25 each)
($110 for 5 lines, or $22 each)

and go with individual plans only as followed:

$35: unlimited talk, unlimited text, 500MB of 4G, unlimited 2G
$40: unlimited talk, unlimited text, 2GB of 4G, unlimited 2G
$45: unlimited talk, unlimited text, 4GB of 4G, unlimited 2G

Pinkstiletto66

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2010
New York City.
the Metro PCS merger voted through. To take effect May 1st.

Also,

woudn't it be better if T-Mobile get rid of family plan

($90 for 3 lines, or $30 each)
($100 for 4 lines, or $25 each)
($110 for 5 lines, or $22 each)

and go with individual plans only as followed:

$35: unlimited talk, unlimited text, 500MB of 4G, unlimited 2G
$40: unlimited talk, unlimited text, 2GB of 4G, unlimited 2G
$45: unlimited talk, unlimited text, 4GB of 4G, unlimited 2G

Okay so I have Metro PCs, and my Iphone 5 comes tomorrow, in short, what would the merger do for each company? Like I'm loving the plans on metro, and the service isn't terrible, but it's not stellar either. Would I be able to use a tmobile iphone on Metro? Would both companies get better signal wise, doubt anything would happen during my return policy. LOL.

bozzykid

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2009
Okay so I have Metro PCs, and my Iphone 5 comes tomorrow, in short, what would the merger do for each company? Like I'm loving the plans on metro, and the service isn't terrible, but it's not stellar either. Would I be able to use a tmobile iphone on Metro? Would both companies get better signal wise, doubt anything would happen during my return policy. LOL.

Over the next two years Tmobile is going to move MPCS users off the network on to Tmobile's. Then they will reclaim MetroPCS' spectrum onto Tmobile's network. This will result in a better network for Tmobile. How they do this transition is not known yet. And whether they keep the MetroPCS brand around afterwards is not known yet. But for now you will not see any differences in either network anytime soon.

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
T-Mobile also just recently purchased spectrum from US Cellular for LTE in the Mississippi River valley area (St. Louis, KC, Memphis, etc.)

EbookReader

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 3, 2012
http://www.tmonews.com/2013/07/t-mo...expansion-116-markets-and-157-million-people/

T-Mobile’s 4G LTE Network Rapidly Expanding

Having a great device means little without a fantastic network supporting it, so T-Mobile is also moving at incredible speed to make its already lightning-fast network even better and faster for customers.

Today, T-Mobile announced that its 4G LTE network now reaches 157 million people across the United States — far exceeding the company’s stated midyear goal of reaching 100 million people — and is live in 116 metropolitan areas.

Major metropolitan areas where T-Mobile’s 4G LTE network service has launched include New York, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Chicago, Boston, Philadelphia, Dallas, Seattle, Atlanta, Miami, and many others. The company debuted 4G LTE less than four months ago.

T-Mobile remains on target to deliver nationwide 4G LTE network coverage by the end of the year, reaching 200 million people in more than 200 metropolitan areas.
In addition, T-Mobile’s 4G HSPA+ network service is available to 228 million people nationwide. By combining 4G HSPA+ and LTE network technologies, T-Mobile can provide customers with a strong, seamless nationwide 4G network experience.
Screen-Shot-2013-07-10-at-2.45.34-PM.png

LTE: 157 million
HSPA+: 228 million

HSPA+ 1900Mhz refarming for iphone and other devices: 142 million (back in May 2013)

EbookReader

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 3, 2012
For a family with 4 lines and a high end smartphone like Nexus 4 or Moto X (which rumor to sell for $299 unlocked, no contract)

$1200 for four Nexus 4

+

$100 a month for 24 months = $2400

Total cost for a family with 4 lines: $3600 over 2 years (or $150 a month)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.