T-Mobile/GSM Question

Discussion in 'Community' started by Counterfit, Apr 15, 2004.

1. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Okay, seeing as AT&T Wireless has been bought by Cingular, and they've stopped supporting GSM 1900 in favor of GSM 850, which is unsopported by the S700 I'm likely to get sometime in the not-to-distant future, I've started considering switching to T-Mobile (and unlimited GPRS data for $5/mo isn't bad either ;)). Only thing is, I don't know what frequency of GSM they use. It wasn't on their website, and I don't think they would appreciate a call at almost 4am ;) So does anyone know what frequency they use?

2. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

3. Counterfit thread starter macrumors G3

Counterfit

Me? Patient? I'm about ready to throw my PB across the room because it's taking you guys so long! :D

I kid! I kid!

4. joshuajestelle macrumors regular

Hi Counterfit,

I just switched from Sprint PCS to T-Mobile about a month ago and I couldn't be happier. T-Mobile is a terrific company.

I believe T-Mobile operates on GSM 1900.

Also, GPRS data is *FREE*, it doesn't even cost $5/month.
    They call it free WAP, but both WAP and email connectivitiy via GPRS.

Supposedly they block ports so only web and email ports are open, but the other day when I was using my Sony Ericsson T610 as a bluetooth modem with my laptop, I could access all ports. Nothing seemed to be blocked.

The T-Zones service that T-Mobile offers gives you more access to the T-Zones homepage, for downloading ringtones and games and such, but without any T-Zones you get GPRS data no problem.

You should check out: http://howardforums.com/

There is a specific forum about T-Mobile where if you search you can probalby find the answer to any question you might have.

Good luck,
    Josh

5. poopyhead macrumors 6502a

poopyhead

I beleive it is gsm 1900 too

I have had t-mobil for probably 3 years or so
    I origionally signed up when they were voice-stream

their service is excellent
    at least in Georgia, Alabama, New Jersey/New York, and the Chicogoland area (these are the only areas I have a lot of experience with)

one really great thing about t-mobil is that you can change your plan at any time over the internet and they have for me either offered to give me a new phone every year (you have to ask) or offer me substantial discounts on a new phone (60-80 dollars)

6. Counterfit thread starter macrumors G3

Counterfit

OOoo, Thankee muchly! :D

poopyhead: That's nice to know about the signal there, but I'm more concerned about the Southern New England area ;)

7. Giaguara macrumors 6502a

T-mobile in USA uses ( 950 / ) 1900 Mhz.

T-mobile in Eruope 900 / 1800 MHz.

8. Counterfit thread starter macrumors G3

Counterfit

950?

Oh well, as long as 900/1800/1900 are supported, I'm fine :D

9. Giaguara macrumors 6502a

actually 950 is *maybe*

in europe GSM mobiles are allowed to work ONLY in 900 and 1800 or both. historically 900 mhz was in use first, after around 1998 or so they started to use 900/1800 dual band - there simply was not enough space for so many phones in europe.

USA has always had 1900 .. i feel stupid to say "always" as GSMs really dont have that long history. some countries in asia / africa have the 950 mhz .. i would guess 950 _could_ be supported by t-mobile as well. but the basic GSM frequency here is 1900.

10. pinto32 macrumors 6502

FYI, I dont think that you can take your phone from one carrier to another, even if it does use the same technology/frequency....they'll most likely refuse to use it (and sell you a phone from thier own stock instead...)

11. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

So, joshuajestelle, you don't pay anything extra, and you can browse the web from your laptop using GPRS? This is all unlimited?

I'm contemplating switching from my current carrier, and I'm trying to weigh all my options.

12. Counterfit thread starter macrumors G3

Counterfit

So I could, but I want a P800 or S700 anyway :)

13. poopyhead macrumors 6502a

poopyhead

I don't know about laptop
    but for me on my phone it is $5 for limited usage and $10 for unlimited e-mail and internet and t-zones

14. Datazoid macrumors regular

I have had T-Mobile for a few months, and Wireless Internet/e-mail is free. I have used this via Bluetooth on my laptop several times, with positive results. I am very pleased thus far; although there are some negative points. Thus far, as compared to SPCS, I have found:

Pros:

Much lower price point ($49 for 500 min + unlimited n/w & mob-to-mob for 2 phones & internet, SPCS wanted to charge over $100 for the same thing)

Much better phones for lower prices (I LOVE my Nokia 3650!!!)

Cons:

Internet is somewhat slower.

MUCH worse coverage where I live (Sacramento Area/CA)

All in all, though, I wouldn't go back to SPCS, just because they don't have phones with near the features, and it just isn't worth the extra cost, to me anyways...

15. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

Yeah, I'm with Verizon right now, and the prices are pretty high. I've got a second line on my plan, and the bill would be considerably cheaper with T-Mobile, plus the benefits of nicer phones and free internet. I just don't know if I'll regret the loss in coverage. I had Cingular a few years ago, and it was a nightmare. Like Datazoid, I just don't know if the service is worth the premium. I rarely travel outside of metropolitan areas anyways. Well, my contract isn't up with Verizon until July, so I've got a few months to decide.

16. Counterfit thread starter macrumors G3

Counterfit

So, if anyone still cares, I switched to T-Mobile at the beginning of the month. AT&T wouldn't unlock my T68i, so I sprung for a T610. I don't regret it yet :D

But I'm still trying to work on getting it to work as a modem for my PB. Another question: does T-Mobile have anything like AT&T's mMode?

17. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

T-Mobile is 1900 MHz

Actually the other GSM band in USA is known as 850 MHz and not 900 MHz, its band begins at 824 MHz and ends at 894 MHz where GSM900 begins by 880 till 960 ... GSM 1800 AKA DCS is from 1710 to 1880 MHz, GSM 1900 AKA PCS (Systems located at this freq region are known as PCS) is from 1850-1990 MHz ...

America GSM 850 / 1900
    Europe GSM 900 / 1800
    Asian Countries are by the european GSM / although Japan has a very particular system for mobile communications by 1400 MHz ... you know, they want to be different :rolleyes:

I hope it helps you ;)

P.S Hope nobody confuses GSM with UMTS / 3G bands ...

BTW, I forgot, there are already mobile phones which should support all GSM bands, aka quad-bands phones, but they are still crappy in terms of design (big external antenna), radiation pattern, we might see good quad-band internal antennas by the beginning of the next year, there are some of them but almost half-big like a SE t610 :( (Just the antenna) ... :confused:

18. kanaka macrumors member

I just started using my T68i as a bluetooth modem for my ibook last week. I followed the setup instructions here, and it works like a champ. I found that the GPRS CID3 and CID4 scripts worked for me, whereas a bunch of the other scripts didn't work... you just gotta try a few until one connects.

Unfortunately, I'm using t-mobile's unlimited data plan for $19.95 a month right now. A few people earlier in this thread said they got the modem jig working for free or 5 bucks month... can anyone confirm if this is still possible?

My understanding is that t-mobile's t-zones data plan corresponds to mMode, both are marketing names for GPRS data service.

-kanaka