Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xuclarockerx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 26, 2012
My family recently switched from Verizon to T-Mobile and I picked up a refurbished iPhone 5. The other day I was at a crowded festival and wasn't able to send texts. However my sister's Android on T-Mobile did not have this problem. Is there any known history of iPhones/iPhone 5 having poorer reception than Androids on the same network? Any remedies? This is concerning because I'm going to be at another large crowded festival this weekend where I will "need" service.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Never heard of such a thing, especially for just sending texts. I have been is congested areas where I could not make a call but can not remember it being so bad I could not send a text.

Are you sure you are hitting the SEND button?:rolleyes:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I don't think people will cause a phone stop working, i.e., they don't block the cellular signal. Maybe you were on wifi and it was overloaded due to an overwhelming amount of people on wireless.

xuclarockerx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 26, 2012
Hi guys, I'm referring to music festival situations with 50,000+ people in a concentrated area. It's common for there to be reception problems; I had them while on Verizon with an Android phone. Sometimes the text would go thru on my end but receipt could be delayed.

In this case I got clear "message failed" notifications from the iPhone. I was certainly not on wifi. Cellular networks get overloaded in these situations; that's a given.

Could it be a problem with the individual phone? Because I have another iPhone I could try.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
I suspect that being around 50K people is the problem. No way the carriers could cover that well without bringing in more service which I doubt they would do for a concert like this. It is not a phone problem, likely the nearest cell towers are overloaded.

xuclarockerx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 26, 2012
I suspect that being around 50K people is the problem. No way the carriers could cover that well without bringing in more service or which I doubt they would do for a happening like this. It is not a phone problem, likely the nearest cell towers are overloaded.

Yeah exactly. But why would one phone have better service than another, on the same network? Frustrating.

xuclarockerx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 26, 2012
I suspect that Verizon is the primary carrier at the closest tower and maybe T-Mo is just getting what is left over.:(

T-Mo is not know for beating Verizon except on cost.

Yeah. But does this mean that individual phones "compete" for what's available on a single network? I would assume all phones on a single network get equal coverage, but maybe not.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Yeah. But does this mean that individual phones "compete" for what's available on a single network? I would assume all phones on a single network get equal coverage, but maybe not.

Likely first come first serve. The tower can only handle so many calls or texts at a time. When in severe overload you might have to wait to get a spot before you can text or make a call.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
This happens to me fairly regularly when I go to Broncos games where the attendance is regularly in the mid 70,000 range. I'm on at&t.

xuclarockerx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 26, 2012
This happens to me fairly regularly when I go to Broncos games where the attendance is regularly in the mid 70,000 range. I'm on at&t.

Yeah it's just frustrating to be on a new phone (iPhone), new carrier (T-Mobile), and have issues. Especially when the test drive was promising.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Yeah it's just frustrating to be on a new phone (iPhone), new carrier (T-Mobile), and have issues. Especially when the test drive was promising.

Like other have said it is the crowd of phone users that is the problem. If T-Mo gives you a better deal than Verizon some would put up with it if it only happened at these events. I have been at Football games, too with AT&T and never had a problem getting of receiving texts or calls but it could happen and it would not make me want to change carriers.

Martin81

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2013
Germany
Typical. :( Well now I'm looking at single line Verizon plans.....
Why? What if t-mobile had a weak present at that festival? Now you change carrier and next time and with a different festival they have a low present?
These things can happen with every carrier.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
It's odd to me that two phones on the *same* network, one an iPhone and the other an Android phone would perform so differently. It does suggest a problem with the iPhone.

This happens to me at crowded events on AT&T every time. Basically, my network is unusable--though I haven't compared my performance to an AT&T user on an Android.

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
I would tend to think it has something more to do with the network. Although it's a bit weird how your sister didn't have reception issues with her phone and you did. My girlfriend and I were a pretty big music festival earlier this summer (we're both on AT&T), we never once had any issue with reception. Data would load slow for apps like Instagram and Twitter, but we had no issues making phone calls and sending texts to friends/family.

cmichaelb

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2008
Italy
Never heard of such a thing, especially for just sending texts. I have been is congested areas where I could not make a call but can not remember it being so bad I could not send a text.

Are you sure you are hitting the SEND button?:rolleyes:

Try attending the World Series. No calls, no data, no text everything was so swamped.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Were these texts SMS or iMessages? For SMS a basic cellular connection is needed and not much more (not LTE or even 3G), while for iMessage a data connection is needed (be it cellular or WiFi), which can be trickier in (over)loaded areas.

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
Try attending the World Series. No calls, no data, no text everything was so swamped.
Depends on the carrier and where.

When the Sox won the World Series in Fenway, AT&T and Verizon users had no problem because they were on the DAS at Fenway and the area has dense coverage from both carriers. T-Mobile and Sprint users were struggling at that time.

I was in a bar across the street from Fenway and had no problems communicating with everyone on AT&T.

adamhenry

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2015
On the Beach
Were these texts SMS or iMessages? For SMS a basic cellular connection is needed and not much more (not LTE or even 3G), while for iMessage a data connection is needed (be it cellular or WiFi), which can be trickier in (over)loaded areas.

This is a logical explanation. The OP's sister was obviously not using iMessage and the OP could have been. The obvious question is: Was the OP texting another iPhone user?

hawon

macrumors member
Sep 8, 2009
Probably you were sending it via iMessage which uses data vs regular texting that doesn't require data. Try turn off iMessage from setting and try it. It should go through.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.