Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 29, 2011
My guess is there won't be an official T-Mobile iPhone 5, but rather the 5S. And it'll use a different chipset that can accommodate more global frequencies on the same model, including T-Mobile US's spectrum.

Isn't it the other way around? Isn't Tmobile refarming to match the iPhone 5's radios?

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Doesn't work. I get either no data or significantly slower download speeds. Like below 1 MBs.

Maybe it's not ready, yet?

LTE isn't live yet on Tmobile. It's going live this week in 8 launch cities and even if you are in one of them the iPhone 5 will not connect to their LTE until Apple releases the carrier update for it.

For now only the Note 2 and BB Z10 will get LTE on Tmobile.

osofast240sx

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2011
LTE isn't live yet on Tmobile. It's going live this week in 8 launch cities and even if you are in one of them the iPhone 5 will not connect to their LTE until Apple releases the carrier update for it.

i just got my iPhone 5 a week ago. The guys at tmobile told me I will get LTE. So far my Fast.T-Mobile.com APN settings are working flawlessly. The word is there are places in New York City that users are getting a LTE signal.

Jtludwig

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2012

100 % Correct. No LTE without SW update from Apple. See article below:

Apple requires its own tests to ensure carrier LTE networks are up to snuff
By Slash Lane
Apple will only allow a carrier to offer the iPhone 5 on their LTE network after the company conducts its own tests of the wireless service, one carrier has revealed.

Apple's strict quality control methods were revealed to Telecoms.com (via The Next Web) by a spokesperson for Swisscom. They indicated that Apple will only enable 4G LTE access on the iPhone 5 after testing the device on a carrier's live, working network.

Swisscom launched its LTE 4G network this week, but Apple's iPhone 5 is not yet able to run on the carrier's network. That's because Apple must push out an update enabling the LTE connectivity.

Apple is expected to provide users of Swisscom with a software update to enable LTE connectivity in "due course," but a timeframe has not yet been given.

The strict control maintained by Apple "shocked" Bengt Nordstrom, head of an industry consultancy group named NorthStream. In a conversation with Telecoms.com, he said carriers' willingness to concede such control to Apple shows "who is running the industry."

Apple gave the press and members of the public a glimpse at its extensive retesting testing process in 2010 in response to the so-called "antenna-gate" that surrounded the launch of the iPhone 4. In a video posted on its website, Apple showed off an inside look at its antenna design and test labs, while members of the press were also given a tour of the facilities.

"Apple has invested more than $100 million building its advanced antenna design and test labs," the company said in 2010. "Our engineers have logged thousands of hours designing and testing iPhone 4 in these state-of-the-art facilities."

While Apple has shown its extensive in-house testing, the information from Swisscom shows that the company also takes seriously its carrier partners' ability to offer customers the expected level of performance from their LTE networks.

osofast240sx

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2011
100 % Correct. No LTE without SW update from Apple. See article below:

Apple requires its own tests to ensure carrier LTE networks are up to snuff
By Slash Lane
Apple will only allow a carrier to offer the iPhone 5 on their LTE network after the company conducts its own tests of the wireless service, one carrier has revealed.

Apple's strict quality control methods were revealed to Telecoms.com (via The Next Web) by a spokesperson for Swisscom. They indicated that Apple will only enable 4G LTE access on the iPhone 5 after testing the device on a carrier's live, working network.

Swisscom launched its LTE 4G network this week, but Apple's iPhone 5 is not yet able to run on the carrier's network. That's because Apple must push out an update enabling the LTE connectivity.

Apple is expected to provide users of Swisscom with a software update to enable LTE connectivity in "due course," but a timeframe has not yet been given.

The strict control maintained by Apple "shocked" Bengt Nordstrom, head of an industry consultancy group named NorthStream. In a conversation with Telecoms.com, he said carriers' willingness to concede such control to Apple shows "who is running the industry."

Apple gave the press and members of the public a glimpse at its extensive retesting testing process in 2010 in response to the so-called "antenna-gate" that surrounded the launch of the iPhone 4. In a video posted on its website, Apple showed off an inside look at its antenna design and test labs, while members of the press were also given a tour of the facilities.

"Apple has invested more than $100 million building its advanced antenna design and test labs," the company said in 2010. "Our engineers have logged thousands of hours designing and testing iPhone 4 in these state-of-the-art facilities."

While Apple has shown its extensive in-house testing, the information from Swisscom shows that the company also takes seriously its carrier partners' ability to offer customers the expected level of performance from their LTE networks.
Apple techs tell me the LTE radio is active on the us unlocked iPhone 5. If I were to put the nano sim from a iPad mini into my unlocked iPhone 5 it will have the lte switch. Apple also tells me the lte switch will be a carrier update. Tmobile's roll out of the LTE will be very different from the reframing of the 3G.

Jtludwig

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2012
Apple techs tell me the LTE radio is active on the us unlocked iPhone 5. If I were to put the nano sim from a iPad mini into my unlocked iPhone 5 it will have the lte switch. Apple also tells me the lte switch will be a carrier update. Tmobile's roll out of the LTE will be very different from the reframing of the 3G.

Yeah...that's pretty much what I said..a software update of some kind...which includes carrier updates.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 29, 2011
I hope it's an update from Tmo and not Apple. I don't want to lose jailbreak. I don't think I can be happy with iOS wihtout jailbreak.

Jtludwig

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2012
For anyone that was following this thread, be aware, there will be no firmware update.

You'll have to buy a "Tmobile version" of the iPhone 5 April 12th to fully take advantage of Tmobile LTE.

http://www.tmonews.com/2013/03/appl...bands-existing-devices-wont-have-aws-support/

Incorrect. Straight from the article:

"whole new phone if you demand HSPA+ 1700MHz support in your area."

"Both current and future iPhone 5 devices will work on T-Mobile’s 1700MHz LTE network."

This is nothing new.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 29, 2011

"Both current and future iPhone 5 devices will work on T-Mobile’s 1700MHz LTE network."

This is nothing new.

EDIT: My mistake. I misinformed. You're right. LTE works. I fixed the post. Thanks.

Last edited:

Appl3FTW

macrumors 603
Nov 15, 2012

This is nothing new.

this...

why would you want HSPA+ if LTE is already supported? the only reason to get the Tmobile iphone is if u rely on HSPA+ and doesn't have LTE.

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
For the best experience I seriously recommend trading or selling your current unlocked iPhone and get the T-Mobile one that supports AWS. The refarmed 3G network is still spotty and it doesn't yet support HSPA+ 42 like the AWS network does. LTE with HSPA+42 backhaul is pretty damn fast.

gtgrad95

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2007
Atlanta, GA.
Ok, after spending a few hours researching this, here is how I understand it:

Existing A1428 on T-Mobile
--------------------------

- Will be 3G in refarmed (1900Mhz support) areas
- Will be EDGE in non-refarmed areas
- Will work on LTE once deployed (Band 4 LTE supported)

New A1428 on T-Mobile
-----------------------
- Will be 3G in all areas (due to AWS 1700 Mhz 3G/4G support added)
- Will work on LTE once deployed

So, it looks like the existing unlocked iPhone 5 users on T-Mobile won't have to buy new hardware to get LTE. The only difference is they will be stuck with EDGE in non-farmed areas, whereas the new iPhone 5 owners will get 3G everywhere.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 29, 2011
Ok, after spending a few hours researching this, here is how I understand it:

Existing A1428 on T-Mobile
--------------------------

- Will be 3G in refarmed (1900Mhz support) areas
- Will be EDGE in non-refarmed areas
- Will work on LTE once deployed (Band 4 LTE supported)

New A1428 on T-Mobile
-----------------------
- Will be 3G in all areas (due to AWS 1700 Mhz 3G/4G support added)
- Will work on LTE once deployed

So, it looks like the existing unlocked iPhone 5 users on T-Mobile won't have to buy new hardware to get LTE. The only difference is they will be stuck with EDGE in non-farmed areas, whereas the new iPhone 5 owners will get 3G everywhere.

And given Tmobile's spotty coverage and lack of signal penetration in buildings, you'll want the upgrade, if it's possible and within budget and reason.

I should clarify, you don't need it.

gtgrad95

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2007
Atlanta, GA.
And given Tmobile's spotty coverage and lack of signal penetration in buildings, you'll want the upgrade, if it's possible and within budget and reason.

I should clarify, you don't need it.

That's true.

Also, to add to my post - with the new A1428, I'm not sure if it will be 3G or 4G in all areas. I'm thinking that it should be 4G, as are the existing T-Mobile smartphones.

chestvrg

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2010
Does anyone know if in areas where they have been fully refarmed to 1900Mhz, there is still an active AWS 1700Mhz band working along?

Reason why I ask this is b/c I live in Miami, FL and accordingly it has been fully refarmed to 1900Mhz (S. Florida), so I wonder if it would really be even worthy getting the new A1428 model as opposed to the current, unless both bands (1700 & 1900) work in pair.

Appl3FTW

macrumors 603
Nov 15, 2012
Does anyone know if in areas where they have been fully refarmed to 1900Mhz, there is still an active AWS 1700Mhz band working along?

Reason why I ask this is b/c I live in Miami, FL and accordingly it has been fully refarmed to 1900Mhz (S. Florida), so I wonder if it would really be even worthy getting the new A1428 model as opposed to the current, unless both bands (1700 & 1900) work in pair.

The new AWS tmobile iPhone will support both HSPA+21 1900mhz and HSPA+42 1700mhz

9th Wonder

macrumors member
Mar 24, 2013
Wow, this has come off as a surprise. Just recently, I bought the AT&T GSM unlocked iPhone 5, and I still have 2 weeks to return the phone ... Should I return it and get the tweaked iPhone 5? I'm in the San Francisco area if anyone needs to know ...

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Original poster
Mar 29, 2011
Wow, this has come off as a surprise. Just recently, I bought the AT&T GSM unlocked iPhone 5, and I still have 2 weeks to return the phone ... Should I return it and get the tweaked iPhone 5? I'm in the San Francisco area if anyone needs to know ...

Yes. Why the heck not if you're within grace period.

You get HSPA+ and HD voice calling.

If it's no skin off your back, go for it. I'm in same position and I definitely am.

Delorean2006

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2012
I just want to be clear, i have no means to switch over to tmobile because their service is atrocious in my area, if i was to get the "tweaked" a1428 iphone 5 and put my at&t sim in it, that means the activated AWS would do something for me as well? meaning the phone would just have stronger signal strength when inside buildings and stuff like that? just a question i really haven't seen asked specifically toward at&t service

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.