T-Mobile Offering iPhone 5c for $0 Down, iPhone 5s for $99 Down

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 12, 2013.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

T-Mobile has announced its pricing for Apple's new iPhones, offering the iPhone 5c with no down payment and the iPhone 5s for a $99 down payment.

The 16GB iPhone 5c will require 24 monthly payments of $22 per month for a total device cost of $528, while the 16GB iPhone 5s will require 24 monthly payments of $22.91 for a total device cost of $648.84.

[​IMG]
    While the iPhone 5s pricing is inline with the price of an unsubsidized device directly from Apple, the iPhone 5c from T-Mobile offers a slight discount of $20 off of the standard $549 price of the phone.

As with other carriers, T-Mobile will begin offering pre-orders for the iPhone 5c on Friday, September 13 at 12:01 AM PT. The iPhone 5s, which will not be available for pre-order, can be purchased from T-Mobile on September 20.

Article Link: T-Mobile Offering iPhone 5c for $0 Down, iPhone 5s for $99 Down

2. macrumors 6502a

Is this only in the tmobile store or also in the Apple stores?

3. macrumors member

they didn't before...

Apple only sold them as fully unlocked for the T-Mobile (unsubsidized) they didn't do the Jump prices at all at apple.com or in apple store (ONLY at T-Mobile store - even retailers like Costco and Target, etc. still sell contracts on T-Mobile!)

4. macrumors regular

bye bye Verizon

I can't wait to leave Verizon. I'm lucky enough to live in a very strong cell area (Dallas, TX) so any carrier is an viable option. T-Mobiles new family plans will save me $100 a month, and that's not counting the benefit of either keeping the phone past the 22 month mark and paying even less or being able to upgrade whenever I damn well feel like it.

I hope T-Mobile's plans are successful enough to get the rest of America off the subsidized model.

5. macrumors member

Is it me or this insanely cheap?....

6. macrumors 6502a

Just as I was about to get an iPhone 5... I might have to consider this!

7. macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

T-Mobile stores. Apple only sells T-Mobile iPhones for full retail price.

8. macrumors 65816

yup the 5c will do well... all those subs with plans that up for renewal and that don't really care much about which type of smartphone they get as long as it's "free", now can get a 'new' iphone.

9. macrumors member

Any news yet on if this will support the T-Mobile wifi calling feature?

10. macrumors regular

it's you

11. macrumors member

Maybe it's because I'm British? You get never get those Down prices on that cheaper contract, especially on a new brand new phone, well in the past anyway. No networks here have announced pricing so that might change, who knows

12. macrumors 65816

it's only around $20 cheaper

13. macrumors 601

goobot

No, it is the opposite. In the past with contracts i could upgrade 18 months in and get out of paying that last 6 months worth where now i can't. You are paying more.

14. macrumors member

To get on a 24 month contract and pay only £100 for the down payment, you would have to pay at least £35 or more a month. (on a brand new phone that is)

15. macrumors 6502

coffeemadmanUK

Erm but you're also getting the minutes/data/texts so it's way cheaper.

I find this incredibly cheap to be honest. I got my iPhone 5 a few weeks after launch for £99 (so say $165) on a £36 per month contract (say $50) and that's a fairly standard pricing here.

Seriously if that's normal over there then count yourselves very lucky.

16. macrumors member

Thought so!

17. macrumors newbie

I think those of you foreign to the US misunderstand what the monthly price is for. That is not the monthly contract for phone service, that is simply the payment plan for the phone purchase. You pay $60 / month for 2.5GB data, unlimited talk & text, AND you pay $22-23 / month for the first 24 months to pay off the phone. $82 / month.

Unlike other carriers you can at least switch before 2 years by paying off the remainder of the phone payments.

18. hbman122, Sep 12, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2013

macrumors member

ohhhh i see. So its the same price but just spread over the contract time.

19. macrumors 65816

KeepCalmPeople

So does T-Mobile give you $100 for the iPhone 4S? :D:D:D

(yes I know the 4S doesn't work on T-Mobile or something)

20. macrumors regular

It's also an interest free loan over two years for the phone... so about $25 cheaper

21. macrumors member

This is the route I'm thinking of going. I have never owned a smartphone and if I can negotiate a raise at work I think I might give it a try. I like that TMobile doesn't have a contract and it seems like their plans are a little more affordable than other carriers. What would be really great is if I had the ability to pay off the phone early should I feel I want to move to another provider. I'll have to inquire about that.

22. macrumors 6502

Ah.. now I understand the strategy behind iPhone 5c.

This year's iPhone... free.. Millions of T-Mobile feature phone customers will jump on this deal.

Sounds psychologically much better than a free two year old phone. I got that for the kids. This deal is for me. That is the difference.

This 5c is going to fly off the shelves

23. macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

Pretty awesome that T-mobile does this. It's essentially a no-interest loan.

24. macrumors 6502a

Dominicanyor

Cool.

25. macrumors member

I want to JUMP and leave one / 2 part of duopoly. I want the unlocked 5s on T-Mo now (okay, as soon as it is available).

Does T-Mobile accept trade-ins for iPhone 5 so I can payoff ETF for my current carrier? Or would T-Mo help me with cost to finally get out of my current contract with my sucky & greedy carrier?