T-Mobile Phone Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Community' started by furryrabidbunny, Jul 3, 2005.

1. furryrabidbunny macrumors 6502

furryrabidbunny

My t-mobile contract is up, and i am going to start fresh as a new customer seeing how they want returning customers pay around 100 dollars to upgrade your phone. I am simply going with t-mobile because they have the most reasonable rate structure and year long contracts, so please don't debate service. My question is... does anyone have any of their current flip phones... the v188, that siemens flip phone, or the two samsungs (not counting that new, overpriced, bright green one)? I am looking for general quality... build, call quality, and texting. Thats all i do, so i am looking at which one does it the best for the least amount of money. I am leaning towards the moto simply because it is aim capable. I am going to upgrading from their old workhorse, the Nokia 3595.

2. job macrumors 68040

job

I've got the Siemens flip phone and it's fairly well built and works really well when it comes to texting.

It doesn't have any IM service, so if you're looking for that I'd go for one of the other phones.

I have dropped the phone several times and it seems to have a bad habit of turning itself off if you close it or set it down too hard, but other than that no issues to speak of.

Hope this helps.

3. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

I have the Siemens CF62T, I like it a lot except for the battery life which seems a little less than my old Nokia. I can send text messages from my phone just fine but there isn't an aim option.

4. job macrumors 68040

job

Does yours shut off on it's own?

My seems to do it every once and a while and I can't figure it out at all. I don't think it has anything to do with the battery as it's happened even with a full charge.

5. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

I don't think so. A couple of times it's been off when I think it should be on but that might just be me :D I've dropped it on the asphalt bike path while riding my bike and it was on afterward, and amazingly unscratched. It's been dropped a number of times too, so I'd have to say I'm not having the same problem. Is it a bad battery connection maybe?

6. job macrumors 68040

job

Yeah I'm definitely with you on the durability of the phone itself. I don't have too many scratches and marks either and considering the amount of stuff it's been through, it's a blessing.

I don't know if it's just because of the battery because it only goes off when you close the clamshell. If I leave the phone open all the time it doesn't turn off, but about 25% of the time when you close it, it turns off.

It really only started after I got tackled with it in my hand and the phone went flying.

7. furryrabidbunny thread starter macrumors 6502

furryrabidbunny

I was reading reviews on cnet and i guess that turning off on its own is a big problem with siemens. People are actually calling for a recall of the phone, with their main point being the whole "what if i am making an emergency call and the phone shuts off. Anyone with the v188?

8. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

well I hope you know that you can't just close your account today... and then open up a new one with the same name / info / number tomorrow ... you won't get any of the rebates and you won't get treated as a new customer. you have to close your account for like 90 days I think. You may need to rethink your plan because I'm gonna laugh when you sign a new contract and have to get a new number AND they deny all of your rebates.

9. job macrumors 68040

job

furryrabidbunny have you considered the pay as you go plans offered by T-Mobile?

They don't really charge you for anything other than the calls you make. And you can choose to upgrade your phone whenever you want.

10. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

That's what I've got. I don't use my cell phone enough to justify the high monthly rates. Currently, I buy a $25 dollar refill card and it is good for 3 months. The minutes accrue if you refill within 3 months and they have a bonus type plan where you get extra minutes after you buy $100 (?) worth of refills. The rates are cheaper than what US Cellular was offering, and I like the service. In six months I've spent $75 for my service, it's really a good deal. Phone choices are restricted, I think, and some features aren't available.

11. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

T-Mobile is GSM, you can use any unlocked GSM phone you want as long as it supports T-Mobile's frequency (which I believe is 1900 in the US). You aren't limited to the phones T-Mobile happens to be offering at the moment, which expands your selection to a lot of nice Motorolas, Samsungs, Nokias, etc. If T-Mobile absolutely insists that you buy a T-Mobile phone, just do it, take the SIM card out, pop it into an unlocked phone, sell the crappy T-Mobile phone on eBay, and T-Mobile won't even know you're using a better phone.

12. furryrabidbunny thread starter macrumors 6502

furryrabidbunny

I dont' view teh pay as you go as a great deal... you can still loose your minutes (which they shouldn't be able to do) and they make you pay full price for phones.

13. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Has anyone had any luck with calling them up and talking them into deep discounting a phone for you so that you stay with the service, rather than switching to, say, Cingular?

14. furryrabidbunny thread starter macrumors 6502

furryrabidbunny

i would pull that out when i go on friday. i want a discount on a phone (preferably free) and i don't want to pay an activation fee. i know that cell phone prices aren't set in stone, and that they are willing to do almost anything to keep you as a customer. Besides they don't make a ton of money off phones, just by over charging per minute and by overages.

15. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

i would vote against going with a motorola, i've had some serious problems with moto phones. one had awful battery life, and another just died one day.
    it could have been just my personal experience, but i would research the phone before getting it, check into customer complaints, etc.

16. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

its funny because those two things you know aren't really true ....

Most official retailers for tmo have minimums they won't go below minimums because many times the discount they offer you on the side might come out of their commission. In the store they won't do much for you ... you can try retentions on the phone but again ... you aren't getting a free phone from tmo better if you accept this now. they care about you as a customer but won't bend over backwards or bend their margins for you.

there are no free phones for existing customers .. or not good phones atleast. You aren't a new customer

17. maxterpiece macrumors 6502a

maxterpiece

Yes, I know that when I called up verizon and asked them when my contract was up they immediately started offering me all of these fancy incentives to stay.

Definitely worth a shot.

18. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Thanks! I think I might try that soon too...Mmm...A630.... :)