Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
Actually all companies here are at fault, saying they have a 4G network, when by strict definition, they don't. Even AT&T is trying to conceal LTE as 4G.

I'm sure Verizon is laughing their head off. They can easily say they have the largest LTE network, and squash both. If they said they had a 4G network, then they're just lying.

Get it over 100 MBs and then you can say 4G. Why mess with the consumer's head? Because T-Mobile started saying they have a 4G network.

LTE as far as I am concerned is 4G. hspda+ is not. Even the ieee consider lte 4g. People need to stop saying lte isn't. Find me a wireless network anywhere in the world thats widely spread thats faster.

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2011
Earth
Say what you want.. If T-mobile mimics its Euro spec pricing in America, I guarantee we'll all be switching to the b T

I rather pay what I'm paying now so long as my service is good. I haven't been impressed by T-Mobile.

Don't confuse perception with reality. This is a public perception game being played here.

Of course, but smart shoppers know the reality and look at the company as a whole before buying into their services, especially something as important as a smart phone (and it's service).

They actually wanted to buy their wireless spectrum (with the customers as a bonus), but the average consumer doesn't know that. The ads are fine from that perspective.

Owning more of anything is a reason to buy a company, be it assets or customers.

Apparently T-Mobile has enough customers who use that "crappy" network that AT&T wants to buy them. Also it looks like AT&T needs to buy customers instead of letting them freely choose their network.

Lot of companies buy other companies for their customer base. Look at Microsoft for example buying Skype, and Google buying all these little web sites. They want customers.

If the US T-mobile network is only half as good as it is in Germany, better prepare for a huge impact to AT&T´s business.

Doubt it. It's going to take a while.

You miss the point of these ads...

No, I actually didn't. I'm just reading them past face value.

I think they wanted T-Mobile because of their existing LTE network more so than the customers. At least that's how I remember it.

It was both.

Actually, both....they get the added spectrum to increase THEIR network's reach!

Yup. More network + more customers = more $$$

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011
T-Mobile isn't the best network (not the worst though, that title goes to Sprint), and I've had generally negative thoughts over TM's ads in the past, but I'm fully on there side in this battle. AT&T's comments were so unnecessary.

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011
Say what you want.. If T-mobile mimics its Euro spec pricing in America, I guarantee we'll all be switching to the b T

I see a T-mobile in my future too, especially once Apple iPhone finally supports their band / they move towards standard. Their prices are already very good, if they eliminate contract and instead use the 'financing' idea, then it's a no brainer

Coldsmoke

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2011
Like children in a school yard

These two companies are like two children fighting and calling each other names in the school yard. Ridiculous.
Let's get real.....BOTH networks SUCK depending on where you are. That's why we (adults) choose one over the other at different times..... it depends on who can provide service where we live, (and to a lesser extent price).

I wish they would grow up and focus on things that matter....

Jason Garza

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2012
And yet, when it comes down to it, AT&T has the iPhone and T-Mobile does not, so everyone will choose AT&T anyway.

What about the other 63.7%? Did you forget that the iPhone is not the only phone.

Source
http://mashable.com/2013/02/07/report-iphone-grabs-36-percent-market-share-in-december/

Pman17

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2011
Galveston, TX
Because I live in Texas... AT&T > T-Mobile
I know this is old, but I switched from T-Mobile to Cingular for better cell phone signal.

UnfetteredMind

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2012
Saying "oh yeah? If we suck so much why you want to buy us?" Is a horrible response strategy. AT&T does not even need to respond, as they would just say they wanted to buy you to properly utilize your assets.

ATT never should have attacked them in the first place. They should have taken the high road. They felt threatened and put out their "attack" ads so this is what they get. I wouldn't expect consumers to understand what the reality of the situation is :)

This is a reminder to all those who think Apple should respond directly to Samsung in their ads why NOT to do that. It will not go well.

nzalog

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2012
So basically T-Mobile said:

"That's not what AT&T said last night! *sassy head shake*".

:D

UnfetteredMind

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2012
Tmobile is getting it late March/early April. With unlimited data plans available as well.

I'd like to test them out in my area when they do. It would be nice to do a real test of ATT, Verizon and T-Mo coverage/performance once the 5S is released and return the ones we don't choose.

tigres

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2007
Land of the Free-Waiting for Term Limits
May I ask why you left them and who your carrier is now?

Was it choice of phones, coverage, quality...?
iPhone, back in 07', and their terrible selection of hardware over the years. That of course has changed for the better now that iPhone is presumingly coming to the network. Not trying to be one sided on the hardware side, just invested in the  ecosystem like others.

AT&T is my current provider.
Had T-Mo for nearly 10 years (since voice stream actually), and always liked their CS, and service.

Last edited:

adeedew

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2005
Truly unlimited data would be great but it doesn't work out. You either get overage charges from the likes of AT&T or your "unlimited" frmm Tmobile is crippled because of network congestion. And in the end, better area coverage trumps all. What good is a phone that only works great where you live? I travel a lot. AT&T lets me go virtually anywhere in the US and I'm in coverage.

And AT&T is the only network good for travelers?! Wow

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Huh?

I abhor these kind of ads, unless they're pointing out something illegal or dangerous.

How about you spend that money on making my service better? I mean, you are pretty close to a legal monopoly, right?

el-John-o

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2010
Missouri
I have AT&T and I'm pretty happy with them. However, I have to say this is a pretty good ad from T-Mobile. Mostly because of the statement 'they must be worried'. I'm surprised more companies don't point out the bleedingly obvious; if a company spend millions of dollars to tell you that their competitor is obviously inferior, then they must not, in fact, believe they are obviously inferior. If they were, there wouldn't be a need to market them! You don't see AT&T making attack ads against small regional carriers. Naturally, because they represent no threat to AT&T!

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
She [AT&T] started it.

Didnt T-mobile start it with those stupid ads where they showed how slow your iphone is on AT&T versus T-mobile's 4G network a while back?

I don't think AT&T should have retaliated though, T-mobile is not even on their level in the U.S. they should be focusing on Verizon and treat T-mobile like a nagging little fly who will go away if ignored.

At the end of the day all we should care about is this leading to better network development and lower prices for us....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.