T-Mobile to Sell iPhone in Germany: November 1st?

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by ciaw525, Jul 3, 2007.

1. macrumors newbie

T-Mobile Gets Exclusive Rights For iPhone In Germany -Report

Jul 3, 2007 13:19:00 (ET)

BERLIN (Dow Jones)--T-Mobile International AG has obtained the exclusive rights to distribute the iPhone in Germany, beating out rival Vodafone Group PLC's (VOD) German unit D2, according to an advance report of Wednesday's edition of daily Rheinische Post.

T-Mobile is the wireless telephone operator of German telecommunications company Deutsche Telekom AG (DT). The iPhone cellphone was recently launched in the U.S. from Apple Inc. (AAPL), which will later this year also be introduced in Europe.

The phone will go on sale in November, and will retail for EUR450 a piece, according to the newspaper, citing sources within the company. T-Mobile declined to comment.

Newspaper Web site: http://www.rp-online.de

-Berlin Bureau, Dow Jones Newswires; 49-30-2888-410

(END) Dow Jones Newswires

July 03, 2007 13:19 ET (17:19 GMT)

==================================================

Anybody know if T-Mobile is a 3G network in Germany?

2. macrumors 68030

princealfie

What? T-Mobile is in Germany???

3. thread starter macrumors newbie

From Wikipedia:

In Germany, its home market, T-Mobile is the largest mobile phone operator with 32 million subscribers (as of September 2005), closely followed by its primary rival, Vodafone. The highly profitable GSM network in Germany is scheduled to be supplemented and ultimately replaced by UMTS, for which T-Mobile spent €8.2 billion in August 2000 to acquire one of the six licenses for Germany.

4. macrumors 68030

princealfie

I guess that means that T-Mobile is higher quality than Vodafone?

5. macrumors 68020

megfilmworks

6. macrumors 6502

7. macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

This blows :mad:. I am on o2, oh well, guess I have to switch :(

8. macrumors 6502a

epicwelshman

I'm moving to the UK in a few weeks, and frankly, I don't care who the iPhone's going with, as long as it comes out relatively soon.

9. Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Yes.

Very Good.

10. macrumors 68000

No. It may just mean T-Mobile offered more then Voda.

it looks like multiple euro partners though so the next week should be interesting.

11. macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

Yeah...T-Mo is the mobile arm of Deutsche Telekom.

12. Ugg
    macrumors 68000

Ugg

I wonder if it's just Germany or Switzerland, Austria, Czech Republic, Croatia, etc.

T-Mobile's not cheap but they have pretty good coverage and lots of wifi.

13. macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

The article mentions that analysts were quite surprised that Tmobile got the rights instead of vodafone.

14. macrumors 65816

Mac-Addict

Ahh welcome to the UK, you have made a mistake to move to this **** hole :D! No I'm just messing, what part of The UK are you moving to? This will affect your iPhone ifs its locked to a certain network such as Orange, where I live Orange sucks balls for signal and quality but in other parts of the UK they are apparently great.

15. macrumors 6502

If this holds for The Netherlands as well, then I won't even need to get a new simcard (maybe)... :D I like T-Mobile. I've had a very good experience with them.

16. macrumors bot

MacRumors

T-Mobile to Sell iPhone in Germany: November 1st?

[​IMG]

The Washington Post translates a Rheinische Post article which reveals that the iPhone will be sold through T-Mobile in Germany and launch on November 1st, 2007.

The cost of the phone for the German market is said to be 450 euros (US $612). There has been no confirmation of rumors the European version of the iPhone may incorporate 3G technology.

Apple launched the iPhone in the U.S. last week and had planned a European launch in Q4 2007 and Asia in 2008.

17. Ugg
    macrumors 68000

Ugg

Translation: How the distribution in other European countries will be handled, is unclear.

I'd think that Apple would want to minimize the number of carriers as well as have a European wide tariff.

That would be a huge breakthrough right now to know that simply crossing an imaginary line doesn't mean you're going to spend a fortune on calls.

It'll be interesting to see what the terms are and if contracts are forced on the customer.

18. macrumors 603

Multimedia

Will Be Interesting To See If 3G Is Included

Isn't 3G pretty much the only way to go in Europe?

19. macrumors 68030

bytethese

Irony

T-Mobile can't sell it here in the US for at least 5yrs, but Deutche Telekom can sell it in Germany. Nice.

20. macrumors regular

Sheesh I remember when the dollar was worth more than the Euro...if they update that iPhone to 3G without first doing it in the US I think a lot of people will be pissed...

What is going on with that Qualcomm chip ban thing anyway? I thought that was upheld so a lot of phone companies can't make 3G phones right now :confused:

21. macrumors 68030

princealfie

Wait a minute doesn't that make if T-mobile offers in Germany what happens to T-mobile in the US?

22. macrumors 65816

Squonk

That is excellent news! The status of 3G will be very interesting...

23. Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Hopefully the will choose another carrier in the UK, one that actually has decent coverage. T-Mobile are not even on my list of reasonably good companies. Come on 3G and a good carrier.

24. Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Regardless of the network, if the price point is accurate then it's good news. Nice to see it's not ridiculously over priced verses the US.

Still a horribly expensive phone, but we've already established that a long time ago ;) :p

25. Guest

calculus

...but no-one will be pissed off.