Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

T-Mobile USA today announced that it has made significant enhancements to its 4G network in 14 areas, signaling continued efforts to support the iPhone on its fastest 4G networks. T-Mobile has announced that it will officially begin offering the iPhone sometime next year.
Today, we're announcing technology advancements in 14 new metro areas to close out 2012, underscoring our rapid enhancements to the already powerful 4G experience we offer. This has been a busy year for T-Mobile's network -- we announced a $4 billion plan to advance the network, secured vendors and quickly got to work installing new equipment across the country. Only 10 months after announcing our plans, we've already enhanced coverage for more than 100 million people!
solavei.jpg
Alongside T-Mobile's announcement, mobile virtual network operator (MVNO) Solavei, which operates using T-Mobile USA's network, has officially launched a major push to attract iPhone customers.
Launched on September 21, 2012, Solavei has already attracted more than 100,000 members nationwide to take advantage of the only mobile phone service offering a $49 per month unlimited voice, text and data plan, along with the unique opportunity to earn recurring monthly income by sharing with friends and family.

"The network enhancements give our current and future members the ability to use their unlocked iPhones and other AT&T/4G smartphones at the highest possible speeds in even more cities," said Ryan Wuerch, founder and CEO of Solavei. "The time is right for the more than 4 million AT&T iPhone customers who initially signed contracts in 2010 to cut their phone bills in half and gain the opportunity to earn income by sharing Solavei with their friends and family."
Solavei notes that T-Mobile's network enhancements now allow it to support the iPhone in 37 new markets.
The network enhancements allow Solavei members to use iPhones and other AT&T/4G smartphones to access its $49 per month unlimited voice, text and data in areas including New York City, Newark, Boston, Philadelphia, Detroit, Dallas, Fort Worth, Austin, San Antonio, Tampa, Baltimore, Houston, Kansas City, Las Vegas, Washington DC, Atlanta, Seattle, Minneapolis, Boston, Chicago, Los Angeles, Philadelphia, San Diego, Central and Southern Arizona, San Francisco Bay Area, Central Valley California and South Florida.
T-Mobile is the last of the four major U.S. carriers to officially offer the iPhone, and while T-Mobile itself will not begin offering the iPhone until next year, Solavei's announcement suggests that T-Mobile's 1900 MHz 4G buildout is far enough along to support a major rollout of iPhone service.

Article Link: T-Mobile USA Announces Major 4G Coverage Expansion in 14 Markets, Solavei MVNO Targets iPhone Users

theBB

macrumors 68020
Jan 3, 2006
"along with the unique opportunity to earn recurring monthly income by sharing with friends and family."
Huh?

"$49 per month unlimited voice, text and data plan"
I'd prefer a cheaper plan with limited voice, text and data.

By the way, is this considered a pre-paid plan, meaning $49 is all you pay including all taxes and fees?

TheRealTVGuy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2010
Orlando, FL
T-Mobile: Wake me up when you offer actual 4G LTE. Nice try with marketing HSPA+ as "4G", but I'm not buying it...

I do like me some Carly Fuchs though...!

SnowLeopard OSX

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2012
California
I wonder if T-Mobile decided to merge with AT&T knowing that there was little to no chance of the merger being approved by federal regulators -- leading to a multibillion break up fee -- free $4B added to their assets.

T-Mobile: Wake me up when you offer actual 4G LTE. Nice try with marketing HSPA+ as "4G", but I'm not buying it...

I do like me some Carly Fuchs though...!

Isn't HSPA+ technically just as fast at 4G technology speeds, though?

Chocolatemilty

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
instead of wasting time and resources for HSPA+ redeployment on 1900mhz, they should instead that towards deploying LTE band 4.

I'd hardly call rolling out the 1900 band for HSPA+ as a fallback for the eventual LTE rollout when they received $4 billion "wasting time and resources," not to mention the increased revenues from the MVNOs using their network and the expected increase of unlocked phone subscribers.

bleaknik

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2009
One of the T-mobile technicians I spoke to in the area had told me that, as far as he knew, they were deploying LTE equipment right alongside the HSPA+ equipment. They plan on testing it, making adjustments, and then activating it at some indeterminate time in the future. He seemed optimistic for Q1 or Q2 of 2013.

Last edited:

coolweirdo

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2011
Fl
i wonder will tmobile allow the wifi uma calling on the iphone soon?? if so this will be a bread winner for some

G2244

macrumors member
Mar 4, 2009
Anyone find a disclaimer about how much Solavei unlimited data you get at 4G (and then get throttled back to Edge)? At least T-Mo is pretty up front about it. The Solavei site doesn't seem to mention it anywhere. If it is truly unlimited at 4G speeds, this isn't a bad deal.

OriginalMacRat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2007
"$49 per month unlimited voice, text and data plan"
I'd prefer a cheaper plan with limited voice, text and data.

You should look at the "4G plans" for other options.

For example the 100min/5GB data and unlimited texts for $30/mo.

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011
You should look at the "4G plans" for other options.

For example the 100min/5GB data and unlimited texts for $30/mo.

Another MVNO T-Mobile operator seems to hit a good spot for $40: Simple Mobile - unlimited text and talk, unlimited web with the first 250 MB at HSPA+ speeds. T-Mobile's 100 min / 5 GB takes away from talking, their other plan for 1500 talk/text and 30 MB is just too small even for casual data user.

rohitp

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2003
Austin, Texas
iPhone 3GS

So I'm in Austin and getting 3G data on my iPhone 4S with T-Mobile. However, my daughter with her iPhone 3GS (3G data turned on) still only shows EDGE. Does anyone know why?

AAPL addict

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2011
Go T-Mobile go!

As a proud owner of an iPhone 4S, living in Dallas, stuck in an AT&T contract I cannot wait to finish my term and move to T-Mobile or a T-Mobile MVNO (i.e., reseller). I'll take the now availlable for iPhone T-Mobile 3G / 4G data speeds of 20 MB download which blow away the slow AT&T data speeds I get for my iPhone now (advertised by AT&T as 4G on my phone), get unlimited talk / text / data with T-Mobile and cut my monthly wireless bill in half. I for one would rather have unsubsidized wireless rates and pay full price for the iPhone. I think T-Mobile upgrading their technology to deliver 3G and 4G data speeds for iPhones and offering unsubsidized rates will play out big in 2013 and the years to come. Sorry AT&T but I foresee a lot of cost conscientious consumers completing their AT&T terms, unlocking their GSM iPhones and moving to T-Mobile.

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
Anyone in Palm Beach, Broward and Miami-Dade counties who has been able to confirm 3G/4G service availability?

Also, does FaceTime over cellular work? How about Internet Tethering?

Thanks!

tgenius

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2012
Anyone in Palm Beach, Broward and Miami-Dade counties who has been able to confirm 3G/4G service availability?

Also, does FaceTime over cellular work? How about Internet Tethering?

Thanks!

I personally haven't, but have a friend with an iPhone4 in Miami getting 3G now, gets 2-3mb/s

OriginalMacRat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2007
T-Mobile's 100 min / 5 GB takes away from talking, their other plan for 1500 talk/text and 30 MB is just too small even for casual data user.

The 100min/5GB was only an example of ONE of the plans.

If you want more minutes, pick one of the other plans.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.