T-Mobile USA Announces Trade-In Offer for Existing iPhone Owners Ahead of iPhone 5 Launch

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Apr 9, 2013.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Ahead of Friday's launch of the iPhone on T-Mobile USA, the carrier has announced details on its trade-in program designed to entice current iPhone 4 and 4S users to switch carriers. The trade-in program reduces the down payment on a 16 GB iPhone 5 from $99.99 to $0, with additional credit of up $120 depending on the value of the device being traded.
    [​IMG]
    The offer is valid through June 16, with the additional credit applicable to monthly service fees, an outstanding balance, accessories, or another device.

T-Mobile's new "Uncarrier" service plans unbundle device costs from service plans, allowing users to finance the full cost of their devices over 24 months while signing up for contract-free service starting at $50/month.

Article Link: T-Mobile USA Announces Trade-In Offer for Existing iPhone Owners Ahead of iPhone 5 Launch

2. macrumors regular

Cool, I guess. I'll still sell my old phones on the secondary market.

3. macrumors 6502a

DipDog3

So what exactly is the value of my trade-in???

I have an old 4 and 4S, but I am pretty sure I can get more for them off ebay or something.

4. macrumors 6502a

lolkthxbai

T-Mobile isn't playing around, it's coming at all carriers pretty hard. That metro merger sure did wonders for their aggressiveness. Now, I wonder how many would actually be willing to pay their ETF to leave their current subscriber.

5. macrumors 603

appleguy123

It really seems like TMobile the right by their customers. That's great, especially when you look at what AT&T and Verizon have been doing lately.

6. macrumors 68020

I like what T-Mobile is doing. If I wasn't so completely satisfied with AT&T I might try T-Mobile. I am eager to see how they do with this different approach they're taking.

7. macrumors 65816

JoEw

Would they let me trade in my ATT iPhone 5?

T-Mobile service in my area is superb, so I am considering just moving over. The cancellation fee on ATT is expensive as heck though.

8. macrumors 6502a

DipDog3

This offer is only good until June 16th...

Does that mean we will be seeing new iPhones the next week???

I can see Apple sending out invites to the press event on June 18th.

9. macrumors 6502a

So I get a maximum of $220 for my 4S? :confused:

10. macrumors regular

I think T-Mobile is doing a customer grab right now. There might be rare good deals to snag. Of course, I've heard that their service is terrible in LA...

11. macrumors 68020

Just what do you think AT&T's "been doing lately?"

I've been enjoying fast trouble free unlimited LTE. I haven't had a rate increase in years. I upgrade at every new iPhone release at their lowest upgrade price. That's an excellent way to go. Thanks AT&T!

12. macrumors 6502

Oh great, T-Mobile. You've pretty much forced me to upgrade my better half's 4S to an iPhone 5. :)

13. macrumors 6502

Don't get tricked, I won't be getting one.

A lot of people seeing no contract and reduced price as a bargain, but remember those family plans are still over 100 bucks a month.

Your wallet is still getting spanked, but not just not as hard.

And yes, AT&T is no better.

14. macrumors 6502a

DipDog3

Does not exist.

15. macrumors 603

thekev

Why would this surprise you? They offer trade-ins for convenience. These are most likely turned over wholesale to another company that resells them. It's not just phones. Try any industry and see if a trade-in gets you as much as a direct sale to someone who wishes to use the device.

Much of the time the savings with budget carriers is significantly better if you just need a plan for yourself.

16. macrumors regular

He wrote trouble free. Of course, you could follow up with "does not exist" again and it might be funny...

17. macrumors 6502

I have AT&T Unlimited LTE... gotta love being grandfathered in from the iPhone 3g days.

18. macrumors 603

appleguy123

You have 5gb until you're throttled. Use it well.

19. macrumors regular

Exactly. Keep checking that usage app and hopefully you won't go a hair over 5gb or throttle for you, so enjoy that full 5gb of LTE UNLIMITED! Been there, done that, F AT&T never looked back after throttling.

20. macrumors 68020

Solomani

Seems like T-Mobile is making a serious effort here.

21. macrumors newbie

I wonder what this will bring. Last time T-Mobile announced contract-free iPhones, Verizon CEO said he was ready to remove contracts too.

More importantly, even if you have T-Mobile, you have to love the effort they're putting into getting the iPhone. I wish the other carriers would put half the effort T-Mobile is putting...

22. macrumors G5

gnasher729

Nobody is going to throttle _you_, only the speed of your connection. So there is no reason why you shouldn't go to that limit.

23. macrumors regular

That doesn't make any sense

24. macrumors 6502

Exactly! The market price for 4 is at least $200, and for 4S $300, even if they are cosmetically blemished. Then again, people with $ always trade in for not wanting to deal with headaches.

25. macrumors 6502a

Really Tempting!@

I like T-Mobile's service, I think their LTE in the East Coast corridor is far superior to ATTs. Had an ATT iPad 4 for two weeks are rarely had LTE anywhere in the DMV. Only, it doesn't make much sense to get a 5 when we're a few months away from the 5S - even though, while it may be released in August or September, it'll be several months before you can easily get one.