Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aneftp

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 28, 2007
FYI, I posted something similar before. But my brother got his final Tmobile bill when he switched all 3 of his lines to ATT for the iPhone 5.

He switched over Sept 25th

His bill runs from the 8th of the month until the 7th of each month.

His bill is usually $200. So T-mobile basically ripping him off $100 for the half month he didn't use.

Funny how they (and other carriers) pro-rate partial months when you sign up for service. But they don't pro-rate service for the final month.

lamenramen

macrumors regular
May 14, 2012
T-mobile did a similar bill screw up to me too. It's a money grab disguised as automatic system behavior that no one can seemingly override.

Don't let them get away with. Or in my case, move to prepaid so that no one can ever do this to you again.

aneftp

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 28, 2007
My brother called today and hoped to find a reasonable rep. Called twice. Both reps said the same company policy that its in the contract not to pro-rate. Worst is they didn't even bother putting in his usual 15% discount that he gets from his company. Apparently that's in the contract also not to add discount in the final bill.

He's been with Tmobile USA and its predecessors Omnipoint/Aerial Communications since 1996. Never a late bill.

Tmobile used to have great customer service up until about a year or year and a half ago. But for some reason things have gone down hill for them.

rbenjamin

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2012
Northern Westchester, NY
Same thing happened to me when I switched from Tmo to Verizon to get the iP5. I had been with Tmo for over a decade - since they were voicestream, and something else - don't remember - before that.

When I switched they couldnt care at all. They made zero effort to keep me. Didn't offer me a deal on the Samsung SIII. Didn't off me a free month. Nothing. They didn't care at all that they were losing a multi-line customer who pays bills every month.

Yes. They also charged me a full month at the end. I switched on Sept 21 and my month ended Oct 7.

EDIT: And, to clarify, I was not "in contract" at the time I switched. My two year contract had ended a few months prior to the switch.

Last edited:

Jtludwig

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2012
FYI, I posted something similar before. But my brother got his final Tmobile bill when he switched all 3 of his lines to ATT for the iPhone 5.

He switched over Sept 25th

His bill runs from the 8th of the month until the 7th of each month.

His bill is usually $200. So T-mobile basically ripping him off $100 for the half month he didn't use.

Funny how they (and other carriers) pro-rate partial months when you sign up for service. But they don't pro-rate service for the final month.

The other carriers don't prorate the last bill either.

vbtwo31984

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2010
Sprint did prorate the last month when I left them, but that was over 4 years ago, so they might have changed their policies. They sent me a check for the amount that I paid extra for the last half a month.

After a few weeks though they charged me another 23cents or so for some SMS messages that I sent during my last month, but I couldn't pay that with a credit card using their system ($1 minimum) and would not send them a check for 23 cents, so ignored it and I guess they ignored it too as I never heard from them again.

Seckybra

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2013
T-mobile scam.

They charged me a full month for two days of service. I have read posts in other places where people got their money back by complaining to forums on the t-mobile site. My tmobile online account however, was deleted right after I ordered My new Verizon iPhone. They are really kicking people out the door.. I will never go back.

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
None of the carriers prorate the last bill when you switch. When I left Tmobile for AT&T in 2011 my final bill was still the full $66. When I went back to Tmobile from AT&T in 2012 I was still charged my usual $115 from AT&T.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
If I remember right, the "right" to charge for the full month and not prorate was a "feature" that the carriers managed to work into the final regulations regarding number porting, to make the whole thing more palatable to them.

Best thing to do is to plan your switchover so that you port out about 2-3 days before the end of billing cycle, to minimize the amount of free money they get from you.

gixxerfool

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2008
When I left AT&T they didn't automatically pro rate my last bill. I was only about a week into the billing cycle when I left. I called and asked they did it with zero issue. It sounds like tmobile screws people out of the last bill, but I definitely got my money back.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.