T-Mobile USA Rolling Out Software Update for Existing Unlocked iPhone Customers

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Apr 5, 2013.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    In line with a report from earlier this week, TmoNews reports that T-Mobile USA has begun rolling out software updates for existing customers running unlocked iPhones on its network.

As the carrier notes in its support forum, the update enables a number of features, including LTE support where available, ahead of the official launch of new iPhone 5 sales for the carrier next week.
    Earlier today, T-Mobile began taking pre-orders for iPhone 5 customers, with the official launch set for next Friday, April 12.

Article Link: T-Mobile USA Rolling Out Software Update for Existing Unlocked iPhone Customers

2. macrumors member

McBeresford

And how do I get this?? Not showing up OTA.

3. macrumors 68020

They are not wasting time! WOW!

4. macrumors 6502a

I'm wondering this too. It vaguely claims it will work with my 4s--obviously no LTE--but the other features I'd like.

5. macrumors regular

It rolls out regionally. You'll get the appropriate update in time, as long as you have a signal.

--

I wonder how long AT&T is going to wait for their VoLTE and HD voice.

6. macrumors regular

DMaki650

They said earlier this week that it's coming later this year.

7. macrumors G5

jav6454

This is a Carrier Update that is obtained via iTunes, not OTA.

8. macrumors 65816

Frankied22

Will this break my jailbreak?

9. macrumors 6502

Anyone know if these will work on Mobilicity/Wind in Canada?

10. macrumors member

ahoover

No OTA updates yet in Los Angeles for a iPhone 4S Factory Unlocked. Still shows 6.1.3.

11. macrumors 6502

HangmanSwingset

If I'm not mistaken this is a carrier update. No need to update your iOS version.
    At least I'm assuming it is, since I've received multiple AT&T carrier updates in the past. But this excites me because since I switched to T-Mobile I've been hoping to not have to configure my MMS settings :D

12. macrumors regular

Yeah, that's not vague at all. I understood it to be "later". I'm just curious how long they will actually wait, now that they are... last?

13. macrumors regular

DMaki650

Sorry that was there words, not mine. But I agree it is vague.

14. macrumors 6502

For Carrier updates, you need to go to Settings - General - About. That will trigger the carrier update. Of course you'll need to have your T-Mobiles SIM inserted in the iPhone.

15. macrumors member

ahoover

Still no update... iPhone 4S, Factory Unlocked Model MD257LL/A, Version 6.1.3 (10B329), Carrier 14.0. Went to Settings > General > Software Update. Results still show "iOS 6.1.3 Your software is up to date." Also went to
    Settings > General > About.

No Joy...

16. macrumors 65816

Believe it was only for the 5. I could be wrong though.

17. macrumors 68020

The quote picks out iPhone 5 features only and they just say unlocked iPhones on Tmo. To me i read that it isn't iP5 specific.

18. macrumors regular

DMaki650

Nope it's for all eligible iPhone's with a T-Mobile SIM card.

19. macrumors 68020

I'm at work and my Tmo coverage jumps between Tmo and ATT roaming. Will I still see the carrier update, or will I have to be in full Tmo coverage to get it?

20. macrumors 6502a

As someone else said, it's a carrier update. Either connect to iTunes, or it could pick it up OTA eventually if you have your T-Mobile SIM card in.

As for the guy asking about WIND/Mobilicity.. This is a carrier settings update. This has nothing to do with those two networks.

21. macrumors 6502

I noticed it auto configures personal hotspot settings, which is probably a nice way of saying it restricts them unless you buy a plan with that feature. Right now, I get poor network quality but free tethering with my t-mobile SIM. If I install the carrier update, I'll have better network quality but no tethering (unless I pay more).

I'll almost certainly install the update because my network connection to T-mobile's network is terrible to the point of unusable 75% of the time, but wanted others to be aware.

22. macrumors 601

goobot

No.

23. macrumors 68020

But note under Tmo's support form, under Prerequisites, it says "Device software is not jailbroken"

24. macrumors 601

goobot

It never interfered with it before, the only thing i could see is if you have something installed that would conflict with it which i don't think is very likely if at all.

25. macrumors newbie

I'm confused. I thought that the AT&T iPhone 5 would not work on Tmobile's LTE. Apple even said so by stating that a software update could not enable it and that the Tmobile iphone 5 will replace all current Gsm models.

Can anyone knowledgeable comment on this?

Thanks.