T-Mobile USA to Begin Selling Apple Products in 2013

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 6, 2012.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

In line with analyst speculation from last week, Engadget reports that Deutsche Telekom CEO Rene Obermann has just announced at his company's analyst day event that T-Mobile USA will begin selling Apple products in 2013.
    [​IMG]
    T-Mobile is currently the only one of the four major U.S. carriers to not offer the iPhone, due at least in part to longstanding incompatibilities between Apple's hardware and the spectrum used by T-Mobile for its fastest data networks. The carrier has, however, been working hard to refarm its spectrum to add compatibility for frequencies supported by the iPhone, and it previously stated that it would be ready for the iPhone by the end of 2012. T-Mobile USA will also be rolling out LTE service for its customers in 2013.

Update: Deutsche Telekom's press release is now available.
    No further details on exactly which products are included in the deal are available yet, but presumably both the iPhone and iPad will be coming to T-Mobile.

Update 2: Apple has also confirmed to The Loop that it has struck a deal with T-Mobile.

Article Link: T-Mobile USA to Begin Selling Apple Products in 2013

2. macrumors demi-god

GeekLawyer

The post is coming from inside the house!
    Very interesting. Wonder if they'll begin as Verizon did; selling WiFi-capable iPads at first with mifi devices.

Or will they jump in with both feet with supported devices; i.e., iPads and iPhones.

3. macrumors 68000

ghsNick

Too bad the hot girl in their commercials won't come with it ;)

4. macrumors 6502

Yes!!!!!! FINALLY!!!!!!!!

But no 3G in my area. Will the Tmobile phones have it?

5. macrumors 6502a

Hot T-Mobile chic holding an iPhone. Whoa indeed. ;)

6. macrumors 65816

TouchMint.com

This is great news for consumers and developers!

7. macrumors 6502a

SmileyBlast!

Someone should post a picture.

8. macrumors regular

Oh man, this is great news. T-mobile's unlimited data already has me sold, I'm just waiting to see if I should take my AT&T iPhone 5 over or see if they'll have an iPhone 5 with a different radio chip that will be able to get the other frequencies for their 4G network.

9. macrumors 68020

theBB

I've got a friend who has switched to T-Mobile with an AT&T smartphone. His impressions around here regarding T-Mobile's data coverage is not very promising in the near term. In less urban areas, it will probably be even more marginal for a long time. It may turn out to be "you get what you pay for" type of deal.

10. macrumors 68000

iGrip

All Cylinders!

This is great news. T-Mobile has the capacity to move a significant number of iPhones.

Combined with the news that Apple will be moving production back into the USA, the stock is skyrocketing.

Tim Cook is a freaking genius. Keep it up Tim!

11. macrumors 65816

SpyderBite

This is just hspa 4g though, right? No LTE yet on T-mobile?

12. macrumors 6502a

Minhimalism

Your AT&T phone will already be able to rock their LTE when it rolls out :) but yeah I only pick up 3G/HSPA+ in certain areas.

Could never switch from T-Mobile I'm on 5.99 unlimited data :D

13. macrumors newbie

After years of iPhone bashing, let the hypocritical jock riding begin!

14. macrumors member

This is great news. In the past I've had Cingular, ATT, and Verizon plans. By far, the best value and fit for me has been my current $30/month T-Mobile prepaid plan.

15. macrumors 6502a

Good news for everyone on T Mobile that wants an iPhone and the people were T Mobile has good coverage.

16. macrumors regular

T-Mobile 3G In Austin

In the past two weeks, I am seeing a lot of 3G connections on my iPhone in Austin with T-Mobile :cool: Even got a Facetime call while driving! The coverage is not complete as yet but hey, it's a huge improvement and only a matter of time and nothing beats their pricing.

17. macrumors 6502a

DrJohnnyN

18. macrumors member

In just the past two days I've seen 3G on my phone. It doesn't seem to last long and the locations seems to be intermittent. But it's a start. So the phones will show up end of Jan or whenever Apple releases the 5S. So now we wait.

19. Big Bone, Dec 6, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2012

macrumors newbie

Well it's about freakn' time! I've been with tmobile for the past 8 years and over the past 4 I've been waiting and waiting for the Iphone and had to put up with this android junk in the mean time.

My Tmobile plan runs out at the end of January and I was going to finally switch to Verizon but it seems that now I have a much more difficult choice to make.

That said I've heard many rumors about tmobile picking up the Iphone so I don't totally believe them.

20. macrumors 6502

Good enough for me!

21. macrumors 6502

Now Tmo will praise the iPhone for being on their network and sales of the Galaxy will drop cause all the sudden Tmobile customers will care for the iPhone now lol

22. macrumors 65816

T-Mobile will probably get the 5S which is only 6 months away.

23. macrumors 6502a

about time the nation's cheapest mobile carrier hops on the Apple bandwagon

24. macrumors 6502

And I JUST switched to Verizon too... Boo. Too little, too late for me.

25. macrumors 68000

This is good for apple, it should help them take some of samsungs market share on tmobile. Currently Samsung has the most appealing products on tmobile.