T-Mobile USA's iPhone 5 Sales Hit 500,000 Units

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 8, 2013.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

As part of its first quarter earnings release today, T-Mobile USA revealed that its iPhone 5 sales stand at approximately 500,000 units less than a month after the device debuted on the carrier. The carrier also launched the iPhone 4 and 4S in limited markets where the devices are compatible with its networks, but T-Mobile did not specify how many units of those models it has sold.
    T-Mobile also announced that success with its Bring Your Own Device campaign continued during the first quarter, adding 100,000 iPhones per month from customers switching to the carrier even before it officially began offering the iPhone.

[​IMG]
    Comparing T-Mobile to other U.S. iPhone carrier launches, Sprint sold 1.8 million iPhones in its first quarter of availability in late 2011, although that debut took place within the context of the brand-new iPhone 4S launch. Earlier that year, Verizon activated 2.2 million iPhones in its first two months of availability.

Article Link: T-Mobile USA's iPhone 5 Sales Hit 500,000 Units

2. macrumors 603

nfl46

Not bad at all considering we are so close to the iPhone 5S, and most are aware of it.

3. macrumors 6502a

AppleMark

iPhone is doomed.... :rolleyes:

"The reports of my [iPhones] death have been greatly exaggerated" - Mark Twain.

4. macrumors 68000

Great news!

Wait that doesn't help me

5. macrumors 68000

1080p

If by "so close" you mean almost half a year away... then yes... we are "so close."

Honestly. It is really dumb for some to be putting off an iPhone purchase right now to wait for a new iPhone model to be released in about 5 months.

6. macrumors 6502

Is that a picture of the t-mobile shareholders' collective "response" to selling the iPhone?

7. macrumors 68030

needfx

Hey, it's 500000S

8. macrumors 6502a

AppleMark

Why is that then?

Does the same go for those waiting on a new Mac Pro or MBA?

You make no allowance for the fact that any purchase of a phone so close to an update will tie many into a 2 year contract with a phone that will be 'obsolete' [in Apples eyes] when the iPhone 6 will arrive and be unable to upgrade within their current contract.

9. macrumors regular

nebrot

T-Mobile in Germany is absolutely rubbish! Too expensive for what you get and now even talking about cutting bandwidth back for internet...

10. macrumors 6502

Illusion986

Whats the deal with that pink stuff coming out of the pipe? :confused:

11. macrumors 68020

jayducharme

LOL! Okay, now I understand that picture...

12. macrumors 6502

I agree, if you can wait 5 months you might as well wait 6 months, no make that 8, why not a year? Extending that logic further you might as well wait another year and then hell another after that, never ever buying a new iPhone because the new one is right around the corner. And by that I mean one more orbit of the earth around the sun. The new iPhone is technically always, right around the corner. Stay thirsty my friend.

13. macrumors regular

That's what she said :cool:

14. macrumors 65816

TheAppleFairy

It's probably better we don't know. :D

15. macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I think if you hang around this site and others like it then you can say "most" know. But the common person walking around has really no idea what is supposed to come this year. Most people look at the iPhone 5 and think about the fact that it is a phone that's been out for less than a year. To them, that is still quite new. I'm not surprised at all. An iPhone on T-Mobile has been in demand for a while.

16. macrumors 6502

Except that there's no contracts with T-Mobile. I totally buy into your logic for any other carrier, though. With T-Mobile, I can get an iPhone 5 now, sell it in a few months when the iPhone 5S comes out (and pay off anything remaining on the 5), and then buy a 5S.

Realistically, though, there's probably not going to be a world of difference between the 5 and 5S, and getting a 5 now is fine for most, who can then upgrade to the 6 when it comes out (keeping in mind they don't have to wait a full two years with T-Mobile).

17. macrumors regular

I think T-mobile is teaming up with McDonalds.

18. macrumors member

Unbelievable that T-Mobile / Telekom is in any way successful in the US.:confused:

Such a **** company here in germany. :mad:

19. macrumors 65816

Eduardo1971

What a odd screen-grab picture.

Some of the responces to the graphic are way too funny! Good going MR responders.
    :)

20. macrumors 68000

The common person knows the iPhone 5 has been out quite a while. Unless you have no friends that is. The marketing blitz of a new iPhone creates real results that you can't deny. Having the phone come out on a carrier many months later does not have that kind of buzz. Even so, 500,000 in one month is probably right at or just above T-Mobile expectations.

21. M-O
    macrumors 6502a

M-O

500,000? That's more than the number of pennies most people earn in a month.

----------

that's data.

22. macrumors regular

Honestly 500K seems low to me when the iPhone sells millions and millions of units a month.

23. macrumors 6502a

You don't have AT&T there. Be happy for that.

24. macrumors 6502a

T-Mobile isn't as big of a carrier as Verizon or AT&T.

25. macrumors regular

T-Mobile is contract free. You just pay all the costs upfront or get a loan for 2years