T-Mobile, worst luck ever...

Discussion in 'Community' started by corywoolf, Jun 25, 2005.

1. corywoolf macrumors 65816

corywoolf

I am going to give you a quick synopsis of what has happened to me.

4 months ago: Sony ericson phone's mic isn't working consistently, I have full bars and cant even get a phone to ring, I call tmobile, they say it is un fixable and tell me to buy a new phone since the 90 day warranty was up.

2 months ago: I went about 2 months with the unreliable sony ericson and finally decided to get a new phone. I spend $50 on a no frills motorola v180. 3 others in my family had the same sony ericson and had many of the same problems with it. They get samsungs, I get a motorola.

1 month ago: I have problems with v180. I can hear everyone fine, but they can't hear me. The same thing that happened with my sony ericson at first. I can't believe it and call tmobile and tell them this phone is defective, they do the usual tests and conclude I am not lying. They tell me they will ship me a replacement phone for free.

2 weeks ago: I recieve the phone, its the exact same one of course. I test it out, everything is a-okay. It has a slightly diff. antenna shape then the last v180 I had, I figure it is a slightly new version.

3 days ago: after shipping out my defective phone back to tmobile I get struck by lightning a 3rd time. The new v180 now has a problem with the audio again!!!! I need to use speakerphone in order to hear any calls. The normal speaker on the inside of the flip phone is oddly working every now and then. I of course reset it and take the battery out and do everything I can think of, I am starting to think there is a magnetic field around me that makes electronics stop working, or maybe I just have the worst luck. T mobile probably thinks I am a scam artist or a incompetant moron like many of the people they deal with, ex." how do I turn the phone on?" well I would say I am tech savy and don't like to brag but I know how to reset most electronics and do the troubleshooting without needing assistance. But anyways,

I call tmobile today and after a 1 hr of hold and troubleshooting they conclude, guess?..... It's unfixable.... "We can send you the same phone agian though free of charge!" I laughed to myself. I tell the lady my whole story and she says " I am sorry to hear that" she trys to tell me I can upgrade to a different phone for as low as $50. I tell her no way am I going to have to pay again for a no frills phone just so that I can pay you more money for the service. Should I really have to pay you more money just to be able to use a service that costs more money. MOre Money More Money More MOney!!! bahhhhhhh! I could have bought a new video game for the price of what that worthless v180 cost me. I have told myself I will never buy a motorla phone or a sony ericson again. I tell the lady I am going to switch to cingular, she trys to sweet talk me into staying by offering me a free nokia bottom line cheapy phone. I did not pay $50 so that I could get downgraded back to the cheapest phone that ever walked the earth. She then tells me she will take $10 off the price of any other phone, I once again ask her if she is insane. I kept my cool this whole time, but it was very difficult.

My conclusion:

a. tmobile $Ucks bAlls

b. motorola is a has been phone company, they used to make good phones.

c. phones are becoming more of lemons then ever, these teenagers that want cameras and video cameras in the phones drive the market, which $ucks. The phone companies keep cramming more and more features into these phones making them even more terrible. Why not master one thing first before adding another (the way apple does it), instead of putting a bunch of mediocre gadgets into a phone (sony is well known for this in all their products).

d. the only phones to choose from on tmobile's site are crappy. I want a nokia flip phone, but they dont have one. I see crappy cheap phones, one man band style middle level phones (think sony), and overpriced, soon to be obselete highend phones. I don't want to buy a phone that costs as much as a 30 GB ipod photo or a 60 GB ipod Photo. The blackberry is nice, but I wouldn't use all the business features and want a mroe streamlined product.

e. I don't want to switch to another phone company because that will make my dad upset because of the family plan and i will have to pay more for it.

f. Pay as you go phones are limited to cheap plastic candy dispenser toy phone quality.

g. I might as well jump off a cliff because there is no good solution.

h. G is pathetic because of a phone company making you upset.

I. this list is getting too long

ANY SOLUTIONS AT ALL< ANY IDEA'S????? PLEASE I AM GOING NUTS!!!!

:mad: :eek: :confused: :( :mad: :eek: :eek: :confused: :mad:

2. unfaded macrumors 6502

Yeah, seriously, **** t-mobile. I have them now, and I will be switching to Cingular when my contract is up.

3. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Here's my solution: hide in a cave. Of course, this could definitely have happened (and probably has) with any other service provider. Of course, I feel, at times, like technology is allergic to me too. I'm on my third T610, which I just broke of course (note to self: remove items from upper pants pockets when playing air hockey :(). My PB needs to have it's mobo replaced yet again (sort of my fault on this one too, but less obvious), my first cell phone (Ericsson something-or-other) had the microphone die, my second cell phone (Nokia 5165) had the antenna cover ripped off, then was dropped on cement. Actually, the three phones I had with AT&T worked fine (one free w/ activation, bought a T68i, then the POS T226 "upgrade"). Weird :confused:

4. Spock macrumors 68000

Spock

Sorry to hear about your phone, I have had t-Mobile since they were Voicestream I have not had a problem with them at all I have had 3 phones a Samsung, Blackberry and i use a Motorola v600 right now. I have have had nothing but good luck with them My first phone the Samsung I broke the screen called them up 2 rings and i was talking to somebody two minutes on the phone and they sent me a new phone in exchange for the old one. Then they gave me a free upgrade to a Blackberry had the thing for a week and couldnt stand it so called them up they sent me a box to ship it back and sent me a brand new v600 and gave me account credit all this time they resent me App's and ringtones for free. I am waiting for a new v600 as this one is not charging right but not a problem again a 2 minute

5. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

If you plan on jumping off a cliff, make sure you grab a couple of their executives/salesmen and toss them over first.

You at least want a nice soft splat.

6. Supa_Fly macrumors 68030

Supa_Fly

Cellphones & Providers: Usuage & Offerings.

@corywoolf;

Some comparison; If you own a Mac then you know you get what you pay for - more money more quality, reliability!

Now with Tmobile your gonna get cheap voice/data service, as thats what they cater to. You've so far stated or better reaffirmed the fact that they offer the BEST cellular service in the USA for the past 3 years!! Unfortunately their exhange policy or better yet their exchange department - the warehouse that does the physical exchanges is too old world. I problem I had discovered while working at TierII and had hoped that would've changed since then.

Its true that companies WILL change their policy's when customers vote with their dollars - but its gotta be enough to affect the bottom line. Or enough to consistently voice their opinion.

Now before you run to Cingular; check them out fully. Higher service options - like EDGE data speeds, yet costs more. Wider national coverage - slightly higher cost voice plans or different minute package. (with any US provider whats with this 1000 Nights/month package?? Why not pure unlimited?!!)

Most importantly find out from Cingular or whatever other providers your going to choose

- their minute plans that best suits you.
    - their exchange policy & if you get back a phone with the same issue that is "refurbished" will they significantly lower your cost to upgrade to a NEW phone.
    - Look for insurance on phones and what does it NOT cover, and their upgrade or replacement policy (new or refurbished).

BEFORE YOU SWITCH! Look at another site - not affiliated but a member - free to browser - howardforums.com HUGE site on anything cellular/ cellular data; by manufactorer, provider, smartphone genre even how-to's and apps on smartphones. There you'll find MANY OPINIONS of users in what they find is the best provider in their market area, and what phones they will purchase & why. Of note even though its their opinions, you'll find countless repeats & seconing of those opinions as others having the same experiences. Much like MacRumors.com and users of various Mac software, hardware, and changes that affects us here.

Either way, my quick opinion on strong quality built hardware is RIM. ALL RIM products are manufactured in Canada in their production warehouse and are actually tested against drops, throughs across the room onto a wall & if it survived a test call to + from the unit was made! - I've seen this when I got a tour in Waterloo when I went for an interview!

However any phone supporting a maximum 2 whats of power will give you the best reception - many manufacturers have models that do the same.

Lastly, before holding off on ANY manufacturer's phone ask yourself, honestly, how you treat your phone on a daily basis. Do you wear it in your jeans/khaki's front pocket without a case? THen after 3 months complain about dust under the screen? (then you should be happy you havent seen inside the shell of the phone, as its much worse in this scenario and is probably causing microphone/speaker issues.) Do you vigorously - with the kind of zealous that you wouldnt treat a lady under the covers - open the flip screen, sliding screen, or rotating screen of your phone? (then complain in 2 months that the screen is dead or is almost broken off? You would be amazed at how Tmobile Sidekick users call in on a daily basis about problems with those phones that through troubleshooting - DDC TierII my specialt - was through user fault. Or open the new unit when it was first offered and didnt like the color and thought that prioring off the screen & calling in the same day for a NEW exchange would've resulted in a different color shell, LOL??!!)

I hope that this long winded post of mine puts things in perspective for you, and that you fare better in your future wireless travels.

Cheers & Sincerely,

Donovan

7. corywoolf thread starter macrumors 65816

corywoolf

wow, thanks for the help, I guess I will stay w/ tmobile, whats this RIM you talk about? Could someone give me advice on what phone I should PAY for now? My dad just got a blackberry but its plan is paid for by his company and it is like $50 a month. I don't need that but I tried it out tonight and like the OS, it is so awesome. I have heard blackberry is the phone os equivelent of mac os x. Anyways thanks to everyone for your help and keep giving me advice because I want to make a smart purchase that will not turn into another disposable phone deal. And I still cringe when I think about spending $50 on the v180 when I could have got a videogame or compact flash card for that price. I was given my dads T3 palm tonight with bluetooth. I want a phone with bluetooth that is solid and it doesn't need to have a camera. I wish I could get a blackberry or a nokia flip phone with bluetooth. Is it worth waiting a month w/ out a phone to see if apple and motorola (I still hate moto) come out with an actual quality product, or is that wishful thinking????

thanks

:(

8. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

good job with the quick part...

9. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

The only good T-Mobile phone:

http://tmobile.com/products/images.asp?phoneid=245557&class=phone

Motorola V300.

Motorola is actually a great cell phone company, their V series is not the strongest on the bottom, but the V3** series and above are all amazing (I have the V710)

But yeah, T-Mobile sucks. They pull you in by giving you over double the minutes of another providor for the same price, but everything about them sucks. And their commercials make me sick.

Time to switch, man.

Verizon or Cingular!

No Nextel or Sprint - they just merged and it will SUCK to deal with them now...

10. corywoolf thread starter macrumors 65816

corywoolf

haha.... forgot to get rid of that. I didn't feel like going into detail but to make it all clear I had to, am i bad.

11. corywoolf thread starter macrumors 65816

corywoolf

Solution!!!!!

I have heard of this before, i found a company that unlocks phones. All I need to do is find a phone either on ebay or somewhere else that I like and have it unlocked! I want to find a way to get that nokia lfip phone w/ bluetooth, any good revies on that phone?

here's the company

http://www.iunlock.com

:cool:

12. Supa_Fly macrumors 68030

Supa_Fly

@corywoolf,

Depending on the model of your dad's BlackBerry, if you look at the top of the shell, above the screen it may have RIM displayed there. RIM is short for Research In Motion, the Waterloo, Ontario, Canadian company that created ALL BlackBerry's and the BlackBerry WebClient, BlackBerry Server's, and the software of the OS of all BlackBerry's - currently based on Java. (of note the Danger Sidekicks also use Java as the basis of their OS as well, but commonly refered to as "The ghetto BlackBerry" by tierII reps; well because its pathetic = Sidekicks). So the BlackBerry's are truely incredible. Something to think about is asking your farther if he can get a new BlackBerry and give you his (only if his is the 7290 or the 7100 as both have Bluetooth & can be used as a modem). Now in this scenario - given that he & his company goes for the new model purchase; you can use your existing voice plan & get unlimited data (check with tierII to be sure) for using the 7290/7100t as modems for your Palm T3. Unless that is that you also want email as well - Tmobile does have some competitive price plans.

One Important note on almost ALL BlackBerry's - only excluding C++ based OS, those old chunky greyscale pager size models of pre-2002yr. It is THE ONLY PHONE that you can purchase that you have the TOTAL Freedom to update the firmware/OS entirely by yourself with the aid of your home windowsPC! [ Windows Smarthphone to some extent and even more limitations as manufacturers have almost never allowed this - Cingular Motorola MPx220 as the exception because it was so damn horrible.] The speed of the OS is incredibly fast and its completely integrated, even voice calls, to the network. You'll know that something is either wrong with the network or your account. e.i. if you cannot forward your voice calls on the BlackBerry, because you cannot see the option, its because the network doesnt have the feature enabled, simple thing to fix. These 2 major importances - beyond realtime email and superior voice/data quality is what makes the BlackBerry commonly refered to - in a positive way - "crackberry's" users, even corporate users are ADDICTED to using them. However more people just dont like the taste of the BlackBerry lineup and thus opt for other phones.

Now for the unbiased idea.

Seems you dont need your phone for email or internet; unless for data. Not sure if you would use it as an alarm clock or schedule reminder - if you use Mac you'll want to avoid the added cost of iSync software for syncing with BlackBerry's. I realize that you'd rather have a flip phone, but what brand name have you favored in the past?

Ask others you know how they truely like their phones, specifically what they dont like & why. See if anyone would lend you their phone for 1-2 days; given they had a backup to use, and put your SIM card into it and go for a drive or walk to areas where you would think or know have voice call quality issues. Also check out the simplicity of the phone to do what you normally would do - just dont mess around with security & profile setup ;) .

Oh yeah almost forgot. If your going to wait a month to see what is in the pipeline remember to do 2 major things. Call customer care and see if you can request a suspended account status that WONT affect your contract or even affect your tenur standing. If not possible double check if they can reduce your monthly payment to the lowest possible, I forget what its called but something like paying the absolute bare minimum as your going through a transitional stage; which make sure doesnt affect your voice plan. 2, ask them to check into their database, called Streamline, to see what if any upcoming phones they'll be offering & their release dates if finalized.

Again check all possible options that are available to ya.

Cheers.

13. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

Get an unlocked Moto RAZR V3...

Its so awesome and good!

BUT FOR NOKIA PHONES:

I just did research for ya, thank me later.

SUMMARY: There are two Nokia flip phones with Bluetooth, the 6255i and the 6260... The 6255i looks worse but has more features than the 6260, but may be more expensive. If you can get them unlocked, go for it.

14. corywoolf thread starter macrumors 65816

corywoolf

thanks again

15. corywoolf thread starter macrumors 65816

corywoolf

How or why do you know so much about cell phones? Is it your hobby? Thats cool though. The blackberry my dad has is like 2 months old, his boss would laugh if he asked for a new one and its owned by his company. I wish I could get a blackberry, why can't they make a consumer version that is still a good OS but drop some features like attachment opening or anything unnecessary?

thanks again

16. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

the razr looks sweet but its basically got V600 software ... SE phones have much better software in my opinion. Moto has improved in the looks department but they don't really make quality phones anymore ... I've had two break over the past 1.5 years (Moto phones) and I don't plan on going back to them.

I'm really not sure you did much research on Cell Phone providers ... T-Mobile is a fine company I've worked with them for a while and have no complaints and their customer service was top rated last time I checked. Verizon uses CDMA networks still. Cingular is getting really big, probably too big, they're tough to deal with from what I'm told. Bottom line, this isn't a cell phone forum as recommended before, visit howardforums.com they probably have more written on these topics then you even care to read.

17. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

Actually, the software "cores" in each phone are different. The design is generally the same.

And, the way Motorola works, the more expensive it is, the less it will break.

I'm planning on keeping my motorola v710 phone for a LONG time.

18. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

The razr has bad menus and a weird keypad. Maybe once you get used to it and figure it all out, you'll find it easy to use. However, if I can't figure out how to do something on the very first go, then the mobile has a faulty UI design or something, because I'm not incompetent when it comes to electronics, and can figure out how to use my girlfriend's mobile even though its in a language I can't read, nor is it a company I have even heard of.

Its not a horrible phone, but its certainly not good value for money. The screen sucks as well.

I'd get an O2 or an iMate, but they're not free. ;)

19. calyxman macrumors 6502a

calyxman

I have a v600 phone with T-mobile and so far so good. I've had a few technical problems with the bluetooth signal dropping out on my HS820 headset, and the phone crashed and froze twice in the last 6 months.

Everybody's experience will be different. I had Verizon and I swore I'd never use them again. The thing I like about T-Mobile is you don't get locked into 2 year contracts for any of their promotions like you do with Verizon. And when the contract is up, you can go month-to-month.

20. job macrumors 68040

job

Interesting thread...

I'm on a pay-as-you-go plan and was originally with Virgin Mobile (aka Sprint as Virgin was using both the Sprint network and numbers owned by Sprint) and decided to switch over to T-Mobile.

I've got a Siemens flip-phone that's available with the T-Mobile plan and I haven't had any issues with it at all. The build quality is top notch and I've never gotten under three bars of service anywhere.

Guess everyone's experience is different.

cheers.

21. neildmitchell macrumors 6502a

neildmitchell

IN RESPONCE TO corywoolf
    My conclusion:

a. tmobile $Ucks bAlls

b. motorola is a has been phone company, they used to make good phones.
    (I havent had any problems with Motorola, I bought my phone direct from them with service from Cingular, I have had no problem with Cingular either)

c. phones are becoming more of lemons then ever, these teenagers that want cameras and video cameras in the phones drive the market, which $ucks. The phone companies keep cramming more and more features into these phones making them even more terrible. Why not master one thing first before adding another (the way apple does it), instead of putting a bunch of mediocre gadgets into a phone (sony is well known for this in all their products).
    (I HEAR YOU LOUD AND CLEAR! I bought my phone direct from Motorola 2 years ago beacuse at the time it was the only way that I could get a basic flip phone without a bunch of gimmicks added in. Every cell company had either Candy Bars with cameras wich I hate or flip phones with cameras, IM service...I also bought it, because it was at the time one of the few affordable Motorola phones out there that supposedly worked with iSync as posted on Apples website, but no one sold a mac usb cable for the phone only for windows so I STILL havent been able to get all my phone numbers and such transfered to my phone. Well so much for utilizing features that are included in my phone such as a calendar, might as well use what you have if you can, right?)

d. the only phones to choose from on tmobile's site are crappy. I want a nokia flip phone, but they dont have one. I see crappy cheap phones, one man band style middle level phones (think sony), and overpriced, soon to be obselete highend phones. I don't want to buy a phone that costs as much as a 30 GB ipod photo or a 60 GB ipod Photo. The blackberry is nice, but I wouldn't use all the business features and want a mroe streamlined product.
    (I would love a Blackberry but 1) dont have the money YET 2) not enough info on Cingulars site about Talk and Data Transfer in their plans, what does Unlimited REALLY mean how much data can I really send/recieve and at what time of day... This contradicts what I said above, but I am carrying around way to many freakin gadgets, I need to streamline)

ANY SOLUTIONS AT ALL< ANY IDEA'S????? PLEASE I AM GOING NUTS!!!!
    Take your time, do your research about phone options,Phone companies, Service Providers, can you buy direct from manufactuer, rebates....
    Dont settle for anything just to be done with it.

22. Supa_Fly macrumors 68030

Supa_Fly

@Corywolf,

The reason I know a bit about cellphones is, 1st its my hobby, and second my job is for tech support of Rogers, was customer service long ago, then started tech support level2 for Tmobile - outsourced here in Toronto, ON, Canada - and now for Rogers. I still have a few good contacts at Tmobile Tier2 Tech Support.

@neildmitchell, not sure what you want out of your phone; other than iSync'able & no camera. 2MP cams are starting to make their way into phones, but you may never use it. USB cable support for Mac isn't happening, and that may be a good thing. If you Mac has Bluetooth, then look for a device that has one. Blackberry wise the 7100t/7100g (g is Cingular's) is the cheapest NEW one you'll find, and they do have bluetooth, but iSync won't recognize them, so it may not be a complete solution.

Unlimited Data, should really mean no limits; unless your roaming. No caps on how much data you can send or receive. However you've pointed out a serious concern. From what I know from Tmobile your data isn't capped, nada, zilch! Cingular offers various data plans as well but not sure their limits. I do think that their getting way too big as well.

Ahh yes a word of caution to anyone wanting to buy a phone. All providers brand the firmware of their phones for various reasons. 1 warranty, they can support warranty on their branded phones, 2 downloadable ringtones/screensavers/etc - which I dont ever use as they get enough of my money (hence why I use a smartphone - I can find plenty of that for free), 3 OTA updates (Over The Air = OTA) for data connection settings, or less seldomly used (firmware) - usually for Danger Sidekicks & Blackberry's (service books). Either way with branded phones comes the achilles' heel. Certain functions that would work for the same 'unbranded' model won't work. (ex Verizon's Motorola V710's Bluetooth would support OBEX transfer of pictures at initial launch, but they may have fixed that). Unlocking a phone doesnt get rid of the branding, only changing the firmware does that, so when looking for unlocking phones try to also have it unbranded - UNLESS you wan to save links that your provider put into the phone that you use.

cheers.