T-Mobile's New Family Plan Offers 4 Lines of Unlimited LTE for $150

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 3, 2016.

1. MacRumors
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    T-Mobile has introduced a new Family Match promotion that offers families four lines of unlimited talk, text and LTE data for $150 per month. The carrier is also offering families four lines with unlimited talk and text, plus 10GB of LTE data per line, for $120 per month.
    The limited time offers are available for new and existing Simple Choice and T-Mobile@Work customers with 2-12 lines, and the promotion can be combined with T-Mobile's other offers, including Binge On, Data Stash, JUMP! On Demand, Mobile Without Borders, and Music Freedom. T-Mobile will also pay up to $650 of your early termination fees if you switch to their carrier from AT&T, Verizon, or Sprint.

The new Family Match plans are available at T-Mobile stores across the U.S., online, or by calling 1-877-413-5903.

Article Link: T-Mobile's New Family Plan Offers 4 Lines of Unlimited LTE for $150

2. JackieInCo
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 68040

I've had the 4 lines 10GB for $120 since September and love it. You get data stash so for me, it's more data then I will ever use.

3. milo
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 604

Nice but I wish they had better deals for people who only need two lines. $120 for two unlimited isn't terrible but not that much less than the $150 for four. And unlimited single line is $95.

4. Jesse1414
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors newbie

I would kill for unlimited data for 2 for $120 bucks!

5. milo
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 604

Looks like they raised prices on the lower data plans too, upgrading from the basic 2 gig to 6 used to be $10, now $15.

6. Joe Rossignol
    Expand Collapse
    Editor

Joe Rossignol

Staff Member

It would be $165 dollars in Canada right now, but I would still be all over it. I'm a T-Mobile customer while traveling in the U.S. and wish we had a carrier that was nearly as competitive here. Bell, Rogers, Telus, and all of their prepaid brands like Virgin Mobile and Koodo, are extremely overpriced. Sure, there is Wind Mobile, but their coverage is extremely terrible outside of basically the GTA.

7. Plutonius
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 603

Plutonius

Four lines unlimited doesn't help when I can't make calls in my area :(. I wish T-mobile would spend it's money on building more towers (not just converting old ones) instead of gimmicks I can't use.

8. aneftp
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 68040

Are you allowed to tether 7GB per line with T-Mobile unlimited data?

If so that's not a bad deal. I think T-Mobile users with unlimited data are allowed tethering.

9. mlody
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502

I would kill for a service that actually works. Chicago's coverage is crap! Building penetration is horrible, there are several dead zone on highway 294 that I am aware of and experience pretty much every day. the closest gateway place for many Chicagoans is Wisconsin Dells in Wisconsin. I am guessing T-Mobile has like one antenna in there cause forget about having coverage in many hotels or water parks.
    I have been dealing with this service since 6S release but I am soo fed up with this crap service that this month (after getting tax return money) I am paying off the phone and moving back to Verizon or ATT.
    Until T-Mobile gets his band 12 in Chicago, I cant recommend them! even Sprint works better in Chicago than T-Mobile.

10. Joe Rossignol
    Expand Collapse
    Editor

Joe Rossignol

Staff Member

Fine print says 14GB of tethering. It does not clarify if that is per line or a combined allotment.

11. Derekuda
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors regular

It seems T-Mobiles latest gimmick is raising their prices despite their growing number of subscribers. About a year ago I believe the deal was 4 lines with unlimited for a flat $100. And as someone also pointed out, they have been raising their prices on their lower end plans slightly.
    SOOOO happy I switched to sprint. Not only are they a better deal, but their coverage beats T-Mobile's "can't leave city limits" coverage a thousand times over.

12. drewyboy
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502a

I'd venture to say it's because they've doubled the base amount of data for each tier. It use to be 1GB, 3GB, etc.

13. JackieInCo
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 68040

I used to have 2 lines unlimited for $100 but gave that up in September for four lines, 10GB for $120. Better deal. Even now, I still have trouble using 10GB data with data stash, I have over 15GB rolled over per line.

14. drewyboy
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502a

The base plan is still the same price. The only price increase was the data tiers which is due to them doubling the amount. For base, rather than 1GB, you now get 2GB which was a completely free no change in plan price. To upgrade to the 2nd tier of data which use to be $10 for 3GB, it's now $15 for 6GB. Honestly not that bad of a deal. Remember, these family plan pricing are promotional so I would expect pricing to change when they make it available. Otherwise, Simple Choice hasn't change except for data tiers.

15. ephemeralreason
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors regular

ephemeralreason

I agree - I only need two lines also and the difference of $30 is really minimal.

16. B.A.T
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502

I've had the 4 lines 10GB per line since last summer. The coverage isn't for everyone but if it works for you it is well worth it.

17. MrGuder
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 65816

MrGuder

But how's the reception? Better than Verizon?

18. CrAkD
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 68040

CrAkD

What's the point of unlimited data when all video and music streaming is free?

19. iOSFangirl6001
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502

iOSFangirl6001

I'm not the least bit surprised I've been saying in these forums for months that the "Uncarier" is in a very Carier way going to try ( and fail ) to subtly increased prices, find ways to exploit customers wallets or trick the gullible masses willing to fall for more gimmicks than a wrestling pay-per-view

The TMO Magenta Punch drinkers are just so hard to reason with and wake up. Maybe when costs get closer to what TMO calls "the other guys" or so lovingly and maturely call "Dumb Dumb and Dumber" they will get a dose of shock therapy

For someone preaching trying to be the best value as if it were the gospel
    TMO's series of price rises should seem suspect.

Yea they may of increased base data buckets BUT and a big but at that
    Numerous studies and research in recent years have shown the average costs of delivering data to users among the wireless industry has been on a decline
    on a TB ( Terabyte ) bases

X amount for every X number of TB provided to customers as a whole

Not sure on the formulas used but if those studies hold weight 1 should argue raising base data buckets w/o increases in price should be manageable

I mean unless of course oh say you're purely seeking profits from your customers but surely a company solely concerned about value for its customers would never do that :rolleyes: /s

An MR Staff pointed out 14GB in fine print. I say screw them find a way to tether anyway lol

It's your data you should be able to use it ANYWAY You please/choose ( within reason or legally of course )

People may bash ATT but at least they've never once cared how I use my data nor tried to charge extra to tether! Even the 35GB of bonus data ( 50GB if you count the 1st time they doubled my data no cost ) is not regulated, reduced or restricted in its use

For TMO to be so cutting edge and for its customers you'd think there'd be less restrictions lol

I've been saying for over a decade ATT is and nearly always has been the best

Better Network

Better Customers Service
    ( if you know whom to talk to/contact best times to contact and what/how to say things. Really many companies customer services just requires a certain finess to get your way )

Better value
    ( yes prices may be higher but 99% of the time you're getting exactly what you pay for minus the gimmicks BS or runarounds. Only gimmicks right now are Double Data, Bonus Data or Rollover )

More stores
    ( in some places more physical store locations in better places easier to access/get to )

20. furi0usbee
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 68000

furi0usbee

I thought T-Mobile was the uncarrier? Then why do they keep creating new gimmick plans every month? it's very simple: JUST OFFER A FAIR PRICE FOR A FAIR PLAN AND NEVER LOSE A SUBSCRIBER AGAIN. Don't jump on this plan guys, because the one in a few weeks is going to be even better!

21. B.A.T
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 6502

The message above was brought to you by Randall L. Stephenson......CEO OF AT&T.

22. JackieInCo, Feb 3, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2016

JackieInCo
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 68040

You realize that you can always switch plans if a better one comes along, right? There are no contracts so switching plans is easy.

23. dmylrea
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 65816

dmylrea

Who cares if a better plan is offered in a few weeks? Notice how T-Mobile opens all their new plans to EXISTING customers? Switch all you want. If in a few months they come out with something better for you, switch. (ack! JackieInCo just said the same thing while I was posting!)

I don't really see why some people have such hatred for TMobile. If you don't like them, don't sign up with them. Unless, of course, you're a jealous VZW customer. ;)

24. BklynKid
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 65816

BklynKid

Is the "unlimited" in this case truly unlimited?

25. scaredpoet
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 604

scaredpoet

A lot of bluster to try hard to justify paying higher prices on other carriers. The only people drinking kool-aid here are those who are gloating that they are paying more on other networks when less-expensive alternatives exist.

I use T-Mobile, but only because it provides me with the service and coverage I need at the lowest price. On a per GB or per TB basis, T-Mobile remains the lowest-cost network for data. Period.

If that changes, I'll be sure to re-assess who I'm with then, instead of finding reasons to gloat about being on a carrier that charges me more. :)

So basically, you're saying that T-Mobile, like any business, should not be allowed to make a profit. Yeah, okay.

Good thinking. You should tell that to AT&T and Verizon, who permit ZERO tethering on the unlimited data plans, and will actively force you off those plans if they even suspect you are doing it.

Uhm... see above.

Fortunately, you can do the same on T-Mobile if you chose to do so... OR, you can get STILL get unlimited on your phone, without having to buy an expensive DirecTV plan, and use it for tethering.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 3, 2016 ---
    What's gimmicky about it? It's a good price for families who want multiple lines.

They kinda do already, and that's why they are gaining customers. More postpaid smartphone customers than Verizon or AT&T, in fact.

Worst advice ever. Assuming a better plan does come up, you can just switch to it without a problem.

Yep.