t3h .Mac: Family Pack or Single License?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by kalisphoenix, Jan 4, 2007.

1. kalisphoenix macrumors 65816

kalisphoenix

I posted this in another thread, but it probably deserves its own thread.

I haven't really gotten a straight answer on this. I'm aware that I apparently have no reading comprehension, but I'm not quite sure how .Mac's accounts work.

Let's say that I have a MacBook, my wife has a MacBook, there's an old Sawtooth sitting in the corner, and we have a Mac mini in the living room.

My wife works a standard 40-hour work week, goes to grad school, and is following a fairly strict little exercise regimen. I'm taking 23 undergrad credit hours, writing a novel, and attempting to get back into the hang of practicing Tae Kwon Do and yoga on a regular basis. Both of us are keeping to-do lists of various things -- bills, birthdays, schoolwork, and all of that stuff.

So my wife has calendars in iCal, I have calendars in iCal, and some of these calendars are shared between us. Ditto for Safari bookmarks, photo albums, DEVONthink databases, blog entries (?), and all that stuff. She has a computer, I have a computer, and we share two others. Each of us has four user accounts, one on each of the Macs.

So would one .Mac account manage all that okay? Or would we need the Family Pack?

I really like .Mac in theory (although I've never subscribed to it [I did take a demo whirl, and liked it]), and I'm thinking about throwing down the money for it. I just want to make sure that I'm getting the right thing and paying the right amount.

(And yeah, I know I could do this all on the Power Mac sitting in the corner. I'm happy to pay for something external, Apple-ish, and largely reliable -- none of which are terms that describe my somewhat "Gonzo" style of server administration. "Hey, let's get drunk and play 'rm -rf roulette'!").

2. kalisphoenix thread starter macrumors 65816

kalisphoenix

Glad to see I'm apparently not the only person who has no idea.

3. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Unless you and your wife feel comfy sharing one account, you'll need the Family Pack. However, either one will let you use as many Macs as you'd like, but you'll just me limited to 1 (standard) or 5 (family) .Mac accounts.

You could probably use the same .Mac account in both of your Mac accounts (actually, I'm almost certain you can), but then you'd have to share the same bookmarks, calendar entries, etc. In other words, in the .Mac preference panel (System Preferences...->.Mac) on each of your accounts on all of your Macs, you'd enter the same .Mac account info.

4. kalisphoenix thread starter macrumors 65816

kalisphoenix

*worships at your feet*

That's not a big deal. I just don't want to pay for anything I don't want :)

So if I had an account and my wife had an account (under the Family Pack), could I choose to have my "Dog Training Schedule" calendar in iCal sync with my wife's, while keeping my "Homework" calendar separate from her "Homework" calendar? I'd have no problem buying a Family Pack if that sort of thing is possible, but I wouldn't buy even one license if it isn't.

5. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

If you get the regular pack, then anything you sync would be the same on both (i.e., your entire calendar).

If you get the family pack, you could sync separately, then subscribe to the calendars you wanted from the others (i.e., get the family pack, sync separately, publish the "Dog Training Schedule" from one of the accounts). However, I'm not sure of a way to share a specific calendar between accounts, but that doesn't mean such a way doesn't exist or isn't part of the .Mac subscription.

6. kalisphoenix thread starter macrumors 65816

kalisphoenix

Thank you so much for your help! It's greatly appreciated.

7. GnarleyMarley macrumors 6502

GnarleyMarley

Has anyone ever considered doing a group buy on a .mac family pack for 5. It coesm out to about $36 a person. Not too bad, or is that not even possible?

8. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

The family pack is just what it sounds like, all of the people must be in the same household. You can't just share it amongst 5 friends...

9. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Google released a program to sync iCal with Google Calendar. Maybe you can create a 'dummy account' just to sync your macs. It may not be worth the effort (I haven't used it), but I believe its free. You might want to at least check it out or do some research on it before you drop cash on .Mac.

10. wmmk macrumors 68020

wmmk

yes. also, google DIY .mac and the like. if you have the time, you can set up a WebDAV server. also, if you need gmail/google services, PM me and I'l invite you and you can invite your wife. Hope this helps:)