Tab browsing?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by yoak, Nov 14, 2004.

1. yoak macrumors 65816

yoak

Excuse my ignorance, but what exactly is tab browsing and how does it work? :eek:

2. jaseone macrumors 65816

jaseone

In Safari's preferences, goto the Tabs tab and enable it, then when browsing if you Apple + click it will open the page in a new "tab", which I guess is like a bookmark bar but already has the page loaded and keeps the other tabs loaded as well. Hard to explain so just give it a go...

I used to be all for it in Windows and Linuix but now on OSX with Expose I find myself not using it and just using Fn+F9 instead.

3. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    I love tabbed browsing - I just wish that I had it at work too.

It means that you can view more than one page in a browser without having multiple windows open. When you see another link that you want to visit, while still reading the current page, you just 'Command' click on it. A 'tab' (a box under the bookmark bar) will appear behind the current page. You finish reading this page, and ta da, the other link you wanted to see is already loaded on the tab. You can close tabs, open common bookmarks in tabs.

4. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

I am the same way, i'd rather use expose than tab browseing. it does come in handy though when developing a website because you can seperate work in browser windows and then expose to which windows and select the correct tab. also, i'd rather use tabs in ebay.

5. iLikeMyiMac macrumors 6502a

iLikeMyiMac

6. yoak thread starter macrumors 65816

yoak

Thanks for the help.
    I tried it for a little while and it seems to be quite handy.
    I have been doing like some of you guys and used F9 (which I find very useful), but I will try Tabbing for a while and find out what I prefere.
    Thanks again

7. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

I hope you enjoy tab browsing, I have a windows for macrumors and tabs for the threads I follow, nice function, now if I could move the tabs in the order I need them... that would be :cool:

8. timnosenzo macrumors 6502a

timnosenzo

Tabbed browsers are pretty handy.

Another cool Safari feature is if you have say 4 (or however many, it doesn't matter) websites that you frequent, you can bookmark them all in the same folder. Then, when you want to fist them you can go to the bookmark folder and just click "open in tabs" and it will open all the websites in that folder at the same time. Kinda cool! ;)

9. DanTekGeek macrumors 6502

That just made my night. thanks.

I live by tabbed browsing. When firefox 1.0 came out, I had to wait until the extentions people got it together and updated so I could have the tab settings just right. I have not met a single person who has gone back to normal browsing after using tabs.