TAB function in osx?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by maximus06, Nov 21, 2007.

1. macrumors regular

Uhm, this is really annoying me, when I fill out forms in the browser and I think in osx in general, TAB doesn't bring me to the next field.

Also in TextEdit, tab does not tab-in the text. Is there a different button for mac?

2. macrumors 68000

tab works fine for me in forms, and Text Edit. I don't know why it wouldn't work for you.

3. macrumors member

sinistersai4d

So you're saying the tab button doesn't indent OR switch text box fields?

To answer you question.. NO there isn't a different button for macs.. tab should be working just as it would on a PC.

So.. to see if the tab button is functional at all I recommend hitting

Command + Tab..
    when you do so this should come up..

[​IMG]

if it doesn't than your tab key isn't working.. try rebooting... also try shift+tab and see if it will tab in reverse.

(btw command = the button by the space bar with an apple and a clover on it)

4. thread starter macrumors regular

Command + TAB works, but just tab to indent or switch textboxes does not. Odd eh?

5. macrumors 68040

plinden

To get tab to go to all fields in web browsers, go to Preferences/Keyboard and Mouse/Keyboard Shortcuts and select the "Full keyboard access:" .. All Controls option. No, I don't know why that's not the default.

I don't know why you don't have Tabs in TextEdit. I do.

6. macrumors 68000

You shouldn't have to do that to get it to work with fields in a web browser. Mine isn't set that way and it still works

7. thread starter macrumors regular

ROFL - you know what, I used TAB as the text-to-speech key. LOL I set it to that, not knowing it would remove the normal tab function. Haha, problem solved.