Tab switching in Safari via keyboard

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by thewhitehart, Sep 11, 2006.

1. thewhitehart macrumors 6502a

thewhitehart

Sometimes I'd like to highlight text and drag it rather than pressing Command + C. The thing is, I'm trying to drag the text from one Safari tab to another, in the same Safari window. I can't seem to figure out the shortcut to do this. I'd like to paste news stories into my gmail messages in another tab.

It would be nice if the tabs were "spring loaded" too.

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Well, you can switch tabs using the keyboard shortcut COMMAND-SHIFT-] or COMMAND-SHIFT-[ but neither of these seem to work if you're trying to drag selected text, sorry. :eek:

3. crees! macrumors 68000

crees!

I see it taking more effort and time to drag/drop as you say instead of using the keyboard for this entire process.

mad jew: did they switch the key commands? I thought it was CMD-SHIFT- Right/Left-Arrow

4. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

Both of those work, actually, using a full-sized keyboard. On laptops, only the cmd+shift+[ works.

5. crees! macrumors 68000

crees!

Really? I have a PB and use CMD+SHIFT+ARROW.

6. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

Well, it turns out I was just parroting some wive's tale that I really didn't understand! I have a PB also, and have always used cmd+shft+[, since that was the 'official' shortcut I saw in the help literature. But, you're absolutely right, the arrow keys work as well. I retract my previous ignorant statement
    :D

7. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

The arrows work in Safari but not all apps, whereas the square brackets seem to work in a larger proportion of apps (like iPhoto). I guess I just use the one method out of habit.