Tab Switching in Safari

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Mechcozmo, Oct 23, 2004.

1. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Press Command+Shift+Left (or Right) Arrow key to change your tab in Safari. I have seen people wanting this for so long, and I just found it today as I tried to select an entire line of text.

:D

Near as I can tell, this is not found in Safari's documentation. :)

2. TDM21 macrumors 6502a

TDM21

Yeah, I love this feature. I found it about 2 days after getting my laptop. Its listed under the WINDOW menu. Now if Firefox had this same option I would swith to it fully.

3. Mechcozmo thread starter macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

I've been using Safari for years and never knew this...lol :eek: :rolleyes:

4. The Exile macrumors member

Somewhere in the wastelands of California
    I love you man! I have been looking for that forever. :confused:

5. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

in firefox for windows it's ctrl+tab so i assume it'd be similar in os x?
    err, figured out what was meant by your original comment. i feel like a dumass...

6. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

I wonder if you could tab the tabs with a the buttons on a mult-button mouse?....sorta like with Exposé.

7. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

I used to do that. I had the Kensington Mouse•in•a•box Pro (I think that name was a kind of jab at those who use Windows and can't use that • as easily as we can) and it had two buttons on the side. When I was still using Explorer, I just used it for forward and back, but on Safari I used it for a little while as tab switching. Well, actually, I left one for back, and set the other one to next tab. Worked pretty well, especially once I got use to it.

jW

8. dubbz macrumors 68020

dubbz

Ctrl+Tab or Ctr+Page Down/Ctrl+fn+Down = Next Tab
    Ctrl+Shift+Tab or Ctrl+Page Up/Ctrl+fn+Up = Previous Tab

9. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

What!! ??? :confused:

It's been there since Safari got tab browsing ... under the window menu.

How did you learn copy and paste? Because you heard about it or you saw under the edit menu? :rolleyes:

was there ever a thread about copy & paste? :eek:

10. stevehaslip macrumors 6502a

stevehaslip

yeah thats really useful, i use it almost everytime i'm on the net. My brother who is a windows user uses mozilla now and loves tabbed browsing after seeing it on my mac. But he can't switch between tabs like i can (i don't think) and he thought it was very cool, and now its something he misses and wishes was there!

anyway the main reason i posted was because i have a wireless intellimouse explorer 2, which has 2 spare "wing" buttons on one side, i couldn't decide what to use them for so i made one switch to the next tab and one close the current tab/window. How cool is that? now i dont have to move or use the keyboard to close tabs or move on to the next thing i'm reading.
    also when in any other program i use them to trigger expose, one to zoom back on all the windows and the other to show the desktop, it saves me so much time!

just thought i'd let you guys know how i do it here in the UK, sometimes you don't think of something until someone mentions it?

11. TDM21 macrumors 6502a

TDM21

Thanks man, I would have never thought fo using ctrl+tab.

12. crees! macrumors 68000

crees!

Exactly, the keyboard commands listed in the menus are a dead give away. You can also copy/paste links in the download window instead of dragging them. And when a file is downloading you can Option-Click it and it will change to kbps left. When Expose is engaged you can used the keyboard arrows to navigate and hit the spacebar to bring the selected window to the front. Lots of lovely shortcuts around.

13. Mechcozmo thread starter macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

I was born knowing how to copy and paste, thank you very much. And I will assume that you read the manuals as well?

So I may seem like a moron but I do know a thing or two...really...I mean it... :)