Tabbed ichat....Just an Idea...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by macgfxdesigner, Dec 22, 2004.

1. macgfxdesigner macrumors regular

Sep 27, 2004
    See what you guys think, Tabbed Ichats, have all your ichats in one window and have tabs for each different ichats.....

Any comments..

2. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

Feb 10, 2004
    Kopete, a multi protocol chatter for Linux does this, and quite frankly, it annoys me :p

If you are talking to one person, and have a second, slower, less important conversation going, it works well, but for the most part it will slow you down and make things more difficult than they need to be.

That's just my opinion, some people may like it... me, I'll take separate windows combined with expose anytime!

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

Jan 9, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI, USA
    Adium does it too. I *like* it. The only problem with it in Adium is that if you have history turned on (so that you see the previous chat with the person as greyed out text in the window above the current chat -- very cool) then it has a significant pause, on my iBook G4/800, about 5-10 seconds, while it retrieves and preps this history. And the pause locks all Adium activity in all tabs. I guess this really has to do with threading more than anything else, but it's un peu irritating.

Also, don't the iChat for Tiger previews have tabs? Oops, don't want to get sued! :p
  4. jxyama macrumors 68040

Apr 3, 2003
    yeah, i like this feature in adium. i like adium but i have never been able to start a chat room... that and there's no option to turn off the dock icon animation. i find that highly distracting...
  5. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Nov 17, 2003
    Isnt the version of iChat that is comming in Tiger supposed to have tabbed windows anyways?
  6. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Nov 5, 2002
    I used adium for several reasons, this being one of them. It works fine on my PB G4/867 and there is no lag. It actually just makes me use my mouse even less, everything is a keyboard short cut apple + tab to adium apple + left key to the window type apple + tab back to the window all without touching my trackapd.
  7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

Jan 9, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI, USA
    Yeah, that feature is slowly getting better in Adium but its still iffy. If I get pulled into a multi-person MSN chat, I usually get an echo of my own posts, so that each one comes out twice, once under my account name ( and once under my defined alias. I think starting only works with AIM and maybe Yahoo -- last time I checked, MSN wasn't even in the menu.
  8. altair macrumors regular

Nov 22, 2002
    Seattle, WA
  9. Counterfit macrumors G3

Aug 20, 2003
    sitting on your shoulder
    With iChat windows (usually) being pretty small, I don't think it's really necessary. I can fit about 4 wide, and almost 3 high on my PB, and I sure as hell don't talk to 12 people at once. Heck, I rarely even talk to one person :(
  10. whenpaulsparks macrumors regular

Jun 5, 2004
    Tallahassee, FL
    i usually avoid the spelling flame wars... but "muliptle" (from the screen shot)? haha, that took work. :)

but yeah, tiger ichat will probably have tabs, which has been rumored.
  11. cyks macrumors 68020

Jul 24, 2002
    Westchester County, NY
    Adium all the way for me... i've never been able to join a chat room and have issues sending/receiving files- but it's tabs and chat history are amazing.

It's so much easier having all my chats in one window- and as a previous post mentioned, being able to just Command-Arrow over to each chat.

I also prefer the way it logs chats over iChat. If anything, and when needed, I just open the actual AIM client for files... otherwise I never leave Adium.
  12. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

Oct 15, 2003
    The soggy side of the Pacific NW
    Gaim, which was originally a Linux chat client, has done tabbed chats for as long as I've used it (2-3 years). Personally I like the feature, but being able to turn it off is probably a good idea.

I use iChat now - for AIM, anyway - because I've got an iSight. I'd love to see tabs available!
  13. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

Jan 9, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI, USA
    Ditto and ditto on disliking the send/receive files....I wish people would just photobucket, for the love of God ;) ... and the logs. The logs are really cool, and really OS X -esque, with excellent search bar implementation.

As for why tabs, it isn't that you can't fit enough chat windows across the screen. It's that if you have two or three tall vertical chat windows open, you don't have any room left to do work. Okay, well, to surf. Forget that part about doing work. But with tabs, you can keep 80% of your screen for FF or Word or whatever, and then have all the chats going on off to the side. And Adium does a great job of telling you status via the tab -- who's writing, who's online, who's away, etc. With the same caveat that it doesn't handle mutli-way chat rooms very well.
  14. atomiton macrumors regular

Sep 23, 2004
    I have a question on ichat.

I'm currently a windows user at home... but use an imac G5 and IBM THinkcentre at work (IT dept... and I get to support the Macs in our creative services dept)

I want to get a mac after jan 14.

What's announced will affect what I buy.

My predicament: I need to webcam to a friend in Japan from Canada.

I know about H.264 in tiger. H.264 is not a light codec. It takes a bit o' processing power and I'm concerned about getting the best quality.

I'd like to know if there have been any testing with the H.264 codec on a G4.

That way I can get a powerbook G4 when they go down in price pending the jan 14 announcements.
  15. OutThere macrumors 603

Dec 19, 2002
    I try to use adium every oh, 1-2 weeks or so, but I just can't seem to make myself use it. iChat always strikes me as simpler, faster, and better.