Tabbind between windows in the same app

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by asmith3006, Mar 5, 2007.

1. asmith3006 macrumors member

Dec 5, 2006
    Hi. new to macs. It's going ok so far.

How do I switch between windows in the same app using the keyboard? For example, multiple finder windows or multiple firefox windows. I know you apple-tab between applications.

Speaking of multiple finder windows, if I've got a folder in my documents folder called "Spreadsheets" and one on my memory stick called "Spreadsheets" is there any way of telling which is which when they're both open in different finder windows?

2. mklos macrumors 68000

Dec 4, 2002
    My house!
    You can also use Exposé by pressing F10 (fn F10 for Mac Notebooks) and it will put all of the windows of the same app in kind of a thumbnail mode and you can use your mouse to select which window you want. F9 will do all windows that are currently open and F11 moves all windows out of the way and displays the desktop. Exposé is a very useful tool. You can also set screen corners for Exposé as well. Its in the System Preferences/Dashboard&Exposé.

You can see what is where by doing 1 of 2 things:

1. Put the finder windows in column view. When the Finder window is open click on the View menu and then select as Columns. This will tell you where it came from.

2. When you have a window open of nearly any kind it will show what it is on the very top in the center of the window. If you hold down the Apple key and then click on it, it will pop down a menu and show where it came from. This works in a lot of OS X apps including Finder windows, and even in Safari.

The column view is the easiest thing to do. You can change the size of the columns by clicking on the bottom of the column and dragging the to the left or right depending on what you're trying to accomplish. You'll see a small square like thing with ||| inside it. That is where you click, hold and drag to change the column width.
  3. anoopmj macrumors member

Oct 31, 2006
    this isn't working on my macbook.. is there some place I need to activate the settings? :confused:
  4. CrzyCanuck72 macrumors 6502a

Jun 10, 2003
    are you sure you're pressing the command key? it's the one with the apple & the squiggly thing on it, right beside the keyboard. Are you sure you're pressing the "`" key? it's right above tab. you don't need to do anything to activate this behaviour...
  5. PatrickF macrumors 6502

Feb 16, 2006
    Or if you're using a UK keyboard then it's on the same key as ~ just to the right of the left shift key.
  6. anoopmj macrumors member

Oct 31, 2006
    that works perfect... i was using the wrong key...:D