'Table-sized flat' for £170,000

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by BoyBach, Jan 28, 2007.

1. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

- BBC

Does this prove that 'Location, Location, Location' is everything?

Or has the world finally gone completely stark-raving bonkers?

2. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Wow, that IS depressing.

I can't wait to hear about the loser who was so desperate to live in a nice area, that s/he paid £170,000 + £30,000 for what is essentially a prison cell. What's the point of owning a flat in a ritzy area if you're going to own the dodgiest place in the area? As impressive as the location is, nobody will be impressed if they get a chance to see the room itself.

And talk about small. Imagine not being able to take a shower without getting your bed soaked. :p

Or, "One night, I got up to take a piss. It was dark, and my aim was a bit off, and..... I hit my kitchen table!"

3. Policar macrumors 6502a

I was just in London today and it's $14 for a drink, $20 for a small lunch, etc. etc.

It's insane. As absurd as this sounds, after visiting the city...I can see it. Beautiful place, though, even if I spent about $200 in a day and a half just on food and drink. (And I was trying to save money!)

4. FleurDuMal macrumors 68000

FleurDuMal

It's perfectly easy to live in London cheaply. In fact, life in London can be cheaper than other cities in the UK. The only things you can really do nothing about is rent and travel (unless you know which buses are 'free').

I've perfecting the dirt-cheap London experience for three years now. I seek pleasure in a challenge :D

5. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

What if the buyer likes snooker? Will they just have the table and nothing else?

6. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

A very firm place to sleep. Maybe they have a bad back.

7. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Where would the shower go? in one of the pots?

8. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

If there's enough headroom they could raise the snooker table off the ground a bit to open up space underneath. Maybe enough room there for a tiny bathtub and 1-burner stove.

9. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

They'll just lift the pool table and lean it against the wall, silly.

10. Lau Guest

Just came across this – some Google Sketchup plans for making better use of the space:

[​IMG]

Linkety

11. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

So the main room is as wide as a picture? We really need better photos of this bachelor pad. Otherwise, we can't mock it to our full capacity.

12. iGav macrumors G3

It's not even the most expensive per square foot, a place in Mayfair that was smaller went for proportionately more. :eek:

It's silly. And unsustainable.

I'd design a flexible system, using sliding partitions. I think with clever design it'd be more than just habitable.

Or maybe go for a variation on this.

13. FleurDuMal macrumors 68000

FleurDuMal

Wouldn't his head hit the ceiling when he stood up?!

14. comictimes macrumors 6502a

comictimes

it's not the end of the world... about the size of a dorm room. The only problem is that you have to fit a bathroom and stove into it as well as your bed and dresser and such... that part could be difficult.

15. Queso macrumors G4

Surely the only people who could purchase that are owners of adjacent apartments looking to extend. I mean, on its own it's completely useless.

Wouldn't you rather live a short walk away in Battersea and have the extra space? You could get a decent sized studio for that money there.

16. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

what's the point? "hey baby, wanna come back to my place? it's a bit of a hole in the wall but the location is great"

17. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

It's a 10 foot ceiling. So either a 6 foot high main compartment, and a bedroom that is just under 4 foot high (after allowing for the thickness of the floor), or a 7 foot high main room and a 3 foot high bedroom/coffin.

I grew up in a cornish farmhouse that was about 600 years old, and I think the celing was probably about 6 foot high, or a few inches over, so it's doable.

I can see a rich parent buying this chelsea rathole as an investment and crash pad for their student sprog. Or as somewhere round the corner to put up their housemaid / au pair.

Or some guy with a house/family in the country and a job in London buying this as a London pad to sleep in monday-friday, and back to the countryside for the weekend.

18. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

19. Queso macrumors G4

A flat is an apartment, not a house.

20. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

They aren't.

Apartments/condos are called flats (IIRC).

21. jonharris200 macrumors 6502

jonharris200

So... which London were you visiting?! You could easily do lunch with a drink for half of what you paid today.

22. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

They aren't really called flats either. It's apparently from the old scottish word flet meaning floor or interior.

If you open your copy of the Lord of the Rings, when the Fellowship visit the Elves, JRRT consistently refers to their treehouses as flets. Eg:

"Gloin climbed up into the flet."

Noticed that a couple of days ago when I was re-reading LOTR :)

Some more info:

http://www.word-detective.com/111703.html

23. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

He visited the hyperbolic dimension, where people explain everything hyperbolically.

24. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

Round the corner from me there's a small cafe called Baker and Spice. Nice food. Various TV and film people go there. My step mum treated me to a birthday lunch there - we had salad. You points to what you wants, they plonks it on your plate.

Then.. they weighted our plate and charged us by the gram :eek: A small place of salad was £20 ($40) :eek: :eek: :eek:

For the three of us, it was £60, plus drinks for 3 small plates of salad. Bloody hell, never went again.

No wonder it's popular with stingy brit supermodels who don't mind splashing out a fiver on a cabbage leaf or happily pay £60 for a couple of grams of something illegal.

Opposite is a fish and chip cafe. £1.20 for a massive helping of chips, and if I want to splash out, another 60p for a pot of mushy peas or curry sauce.

Delicious on the way home from work or partying :)