Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

M-theory

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 1, 2005
Pittsburgh, PA
I am having a dilemma, and wanted to ask the MR forum for some help...

I am very interested in a tablet, but I also want a MacBook Pro. I wish that there was a 13.3" MB Pro tablet, problem solved, but there isn't so I have to deal with my present options.

* the new x60 thinkpad is an amazing new product, but it's windows.
* the MB Pro is heavier, but has OS X and I could use a 6" x 8" Wacom bluetooth pad for writing with inkwell, but also not very portable.

Any thoughts comments, rumors about future products available from anyone?

jhande

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2006
Denmark

I am very interested in a tablet, but I also want a MacBook Pro. I wish that there was a 13.3" MB Pro tablet, problem solved, but there isn't so I have to deal with my present options.

By sheer coincidence I took delivery of a Wacom Intuos3 A6 wide tablet yesterday. I use it with my MacBook, and must admit it's gorgeous. The wide format is very intuitive. I was a bit concerned about the size--I was afraid it was too small. However, it is Just Right tm.

I'm not sure whether that helps any, and of course, YMMV

ZeeG

macrumors member
May 24, 2005

* the new x60 thinkpad is an amazing new product, but it's windows.
* the MB Pro is heavier, but has OS X and I could use a 6" x 8" Wacom bluetooth pad for writing with inkwell, but also not very portable.

Could you describe more in detail why you want a tablet pc?
I'm using both tablet pc and MBP, but I don't like tablet pc.
"writing feature" is not well implemented. Simply it is not usable.
If you need tablet because you are an artist or designer, then I recommend you to get wacom tablet instead of tablet pc. Tablet PC's resolution (pen) is poor for artistic work.

from the steel city ;)

M-theory

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 1, 2005
Pittsburgh, PA
I was interested in the tablet for taking notes in meetings, presentations, etc...that is the #1 goal / interest. In addition, as a bonus, it was the intent for presentations, to be able to annotate and answer questions digitally.

Please tell me more about the wacom, how is it?, because it's bluetooth, do you think that it is possible to accomplish all the tablet features with the wacom tablet?

Go Steelers :D

meepm00pmeep

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2006
Toronto
i think the wacom tablet (though awesome as it is) is impracticle for your uses... it's an extra thing to carry around unless you have room to place your MBP somewhere as you use the tablet, whereas a tablet PC is more convenient. if it was for other uses like digital art or photography i'd definitely go for the MBP and Wacom Tablet.

ozone

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2004
Ontario, Canada
Could you describe more in detail why you want a tablet pc?
I'm using both tablet pc and MBP, but I don't like tablet pc.
"writing feature" is not well implemented. Simply it is not usable.
If you need tablet because you are an artist or designer, then I recommend you to get wacom tablet instead of tablet pc. Tablet PC's resolution (pen) is poor for artistic work.

from the steel city ;)

I disagree completely. I have a TC4200 from HP and the writing function is very good. All tablets use essentially the same writing feature because they share the common Tablet OS. I have many, many business and meeting notes in MS OneNote - one of the few MS programs that's reasonable and fairly easy to use without many stability problems. I don't use it for artistic purposes, but for day to day, it's pretty good.

Keep in mind that if you want it to transpose everything from handwritten to font text, you'll probably be disappointed. I tend to keep all my notes handwritten - it's only for me, but then, the advantage is that I can store copious amounts of information in one spot, and not scattered all over multiple notebooks.

M-theory

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 1, 2005
Pittsburgh, PA
thanks ozone & meep, you captured most of my interest in the tablet and the benefits of getting it, it seems for now the best option is to have a tablet for all business stuff and put parallels or boot camp on my desktop to back up all the windows data on my tablet. :(

c'mon apple settle this by making a tablet!

ozone

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2004
Ontario, Canada
thanks ozone & meep, you captured most of my interest in the tablet and the benefits of getting it, it seems for now the best option is to have a tablet for all business stuff and put parallels or boot camp on my desktop to back up all the windows data on my tablet. :(

c'mon apple settle this by making a tablet!

I agree 100%. I currently have a PB 17" G4 that is underused because Virtual PC is so underpowered. If I had a current Intel Mac, then I include install Parallels (or BootCamp) and MS OneNote, allow me to sync all my tablet notes with Mac and view those notes when needed.

There are many blogs on tablet usage. One of the best I've found is http://www.jkontherun.com. Look for the tablet related posts. These people use tablets in all sorts of situations, and link to others who use them similarly, so you can read through them at your heart's content to figure out if the tablet is really what you need, and if so, which model might be the best.

The tablet has lots of advantages, but just be careful you don't build up your expectations beyond reality. After all, my wife comments that I have a $2000 machine to do basically what a pad of paper and 99 cent pen can do!

Have fun.

M-theory

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 1, 2005
Pittsburgh, PA
I agree 100%. I currently have a PB 17" G4 that is underused because Virtual PC is so underpowered. If I had a current Intel Mac, then I include install Parallels (or BootCamp) and MS OneNote, allow me to sync all my tablet notes with Mac and view those notes when needed.

what would onenote on a mac enable you to do? why would you use parallels to install it? please elaborate...

There are many blogs on tablet usage. One of the best I've found is http://www.jkontherun.com. Look for the tablet related posts. These people use tablets in all sorts of situations, and link to others who use them similarly, so you can read through them at your heart's content to figure out if the tablet is really what you need, and if so, which model might be the best.

The tablet has lots of advantages, but just be careful you don't build up your expectations beyond reality. After all, my wife comments that I have a $2000 machine to do basically what a pad of paper and 99 cent pen can do!

Have fun.

thanks for the info and thought provoking issue about the good ol' pen and paper argument...:)

YS2003

macrumors 68020
Dec 24, 2004
Finally I have arrived.....
As a tablet PC user (I use Fujitsu T4020D), I wish Apple makes the tablet Mac. I like to use Mac during the meeting (using the notebook commuter for note-taking during the meeting is big "no no" in business etiquette). Now I am carrying 3 laptops at all times (my company's Dell, iBook, and Fujitsu Tablet). I want to narrow them down to two (Dell PC for email/Lotus Notes and Mac for others/Tablet functions).
I think many people tend to dismiss the tablet PC format easily without even trying it themselves. The actual user of the Tablet PC has a different take on the experience (which is rather positive, as mine).

M-theory

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 1, 2005
Pittsburgh, PA
As a tablet PC user (I use Fujitsu T4020D), I wish Apple makes the tablet Mac. I like to use Mac during the meeting (using the notebook commuter for note-taking during the meeting is big "no no" in business etiquette). Now I am carrying 3 laptops at all times (my company's Dell, iBook, and Fujitsu Tablet). I want to narrow them down to two (Dell PC for email/Lotus Notes and Mac for others/Tablet functions).
I think many people tend to dismiss the tablet PC format easily without even trying it themselves. The actual user of the Tablet PC has a different take on the experience (which is rather positive, as mine).

thanks for your input...it is interesting that we seem to be increasing the number of electronic devices, instead of the preferred reduction and consolidation of devices and information outlets.

one point I wanted to add was that apple doesn't need to make a 'tablet', but just add the functionality into a MBP for those that want/need it, and if you don't want it or need it, then it won't change the experience for those people. I think that if this functionality were 'added' to the MBP's, they would attract more business people and mobile users that presently 'opt out' of apple due to portability and functionality.

baxterbrittle

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2005
Have you thought at all about those digital notepads? Basically they work like a normal pad and pen but have an imbedded graphics tablet that stores the pages to later be uploaded via usb. Kind of like a digital whiteboard. Some like this one also act as a tablet when connected to a pc so you get the best of both worlds. When taking notes etc you only need the tablet which doesn't need to boot up and run out of battery and can be used as a tablet when plugged into the computer.

Oh and no this isn't my ebay item, it's just something I've been interested in lately.

wildmac

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2003
Let's look at this another way... you say that you are carrying the Dell basically for email. Well, Lotus Notes does exist on the Mac, and if you had one of the IntelMacs, you could dual-boot in OSX or Windows if you needed to. So, with an upgrade to your iBook, you can eliminate your Dell. So that will leave you with a MB or MBP and the tabletPC.

From there, I would investigate the other note-taking options that are out there and see if any work better than the tabletPC. I don't think the Wacom would be the best way, unless you can find some other software that makes use of it the way you want to.

YS2003

macrumors 68020
Dec 24, 2004
Finally I have arrived.....
Let's look at this another way... you say that you are carrying the Dell basically for email. Well, Lotus Notes does exist on the Mac, and if you had one of the IntelMacs, you could dual-boot in OSX or Windows if you needed to. So, with an upgrade to your iBook, you can eliminate your Dell. So that will leave you with a MB or MBP and the tabletPC.

From there, I would investigate the other note-taking options that are out there and see if any work better than the tabletPC. I don't think the Wacom would be the best way, unless you can find some other software that makes use of it the way you want to.
Well, unfortunately, Dell will stay because it is a company PC. It is weak (compared to my other computers I own) and it gets sluggish when I start opening up lots of Excel and Word files along with Lotus Notes database. So, I use my own personal computer for my work (I know, the company should pay for it; but, I am on salary and I prefer using better computer so that I can get my job done as quickly as possible using whatever productivity tools I can put my hands on). For my next company PC upgrade, I am going to suggest IT to consider MBP with dual boot option (I know this a very long shot).

I am on the move almost every day. So, carrying paperwork is the back-breaking health hazard for me (also I want to cut back on my travelling to my office so that I can use my time more efficiently doing my core work instead of going to office just to pick up paperwork). So, I want to keep note-taking in electronic format. Thus, I purchased Fujitsu Tablet PC (this one has the intel integrated graphic unit; but, it can drive up to 23" of external LCD via DVI). Even though I was able to reduce the paper tonnage, I end up carrying 3 computers at all times.

I use Wacom Intuos 3 with my Macs. I found it is not suitable for note taking. Rather, it is for art creation, photoshop works, and etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.