Tablet sucks CPU

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by will, Mar 1, 2003.

1. will macrumors regular

I have a Wacom Intuos 2 tablet (with the latest driver) running under OS X 10.2.4 on my 500Mhz iBook, my tablet works well, but when there is a pen or mouse on the tablet, even if it's not moving, the machine is more sluggish. Using top in a terminal I found the following:

PID COMMAND %CPU TIME #TH #PRTS #MREGS RPRVT RSHRD RSIZE VSIZE
    365 TabletDriv 15.8% 87:47.44 2 92 59 136K 1.59M 856K 30.6M
    523 TruBlueEnv 9.4% 58:45.09 16 184 227 20.8M 8.62M 20.2M 1.04G

Something called 'TabletDriv' appears to be using lots of CPU, in the twelve hours my machine has been up you can see from top it's used almost 90 mins of CPU time.

Does anyone have any ideas why this might be and whether TabletDriv is the Wacom driver or part of the OS or ink hand writing recognition (I have hand writing recognition turned off).

TIA
    Will

http://www.slimemould.org

2. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

i bet if you killed the classic environment (trublut) it would stop eating so much cpu time. its having to keep itself functioning in OS X and 9 at the same time. try that.

3. timbloom macrumors 6502a

timbloom

Most likely that is the wacom driver, classic is eating resources, but that is really besides the point here.

I would make sure you are using the most up-to-date driver for it, and if so, give them a call or submit a bug report to them, so they can get to fixing it.

4. Steradian macrumors 6502

:rolleyes:
    hey Timbloom did you read what Will said man, he said he had the latest drivers and 10.2.4...and maybe classic eating resources and clock cycles is sparklytone's point here...I could be wrong though... Hey i don't know what your using the tablet for (graphic design?) but do you need the tablet pluged in all the time? Perhaps to eliminate some amount large/small of CPU cycles it devours unplug the sucker. When you need it again plug it in....

If i am wrong then forgive me...

5. will thread starter macrumors regular

Looking at the tablet driver load while using Classic seems to suggest that it may be connected with the high CPU usage. Whilst I'm not running Classic tablet driver usage is about 10x less (c. 1% of CPU when pen/mouse are not in use). Unfortunetly I need to use Classic in order to run Photoshop and Illustraitor. I suppose I'll just put up with the sluggishness, as I don't plan to upgrade my apps until Adobe release the next versions in Q4.

Thanks for the suggestion sparkleytone.

W

6. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

I'm running an Intuos2 all the time and I'm not noticing any CPU drainage. I also run it in either OS X at home or on OS 9 at work, never through Classic. I've always found anything running in Classic to be a bit buggy, so I've avoided it at all costs. :rolleyes: