tabletop speaker with Airport Express...

Discussion in 'iPod' started by ZballZ, Oct 26, 2008.

1. macrumors regular

Nov 11, 2006
    Getting pretty tired of the lousy speakers on my MBP, I've decided to get an airport express and some decent speakers, so I can just stream my iTunes direct to the speaker.

Thing is - I want a "single-amplified-stereo-speaker", since I hate cables :)

But I dont know what to look for?? Most PC speakers come in sets with several satellites and a subwoofer - which is not really what i am looking for. Regular bookshelf-speakers require an amplifier. Also not it!

Basically I just want to put the speaker on a shelf in my living room - plug the airport express in - and some power - and thats it.

Obviously I want kick-as sound and cool design :D but willing to compromise.

Any help appreciated? What am I looking for?
  2. macrumors 6502

May 27, 2006
    You need to be searching for some Active Monitor Speakers...should do the trick
  3. thread starter macrumors regular

Nov 11, 2006
    thx - looks like these "active monitors" does exactly what I need.

I did read somewhere, though, that monitor speakers are not ideal to listen (enjoy) music from? Since they are used in the music-industry to produce music, they exaggerate faulty sounds... Does this make any sense?

Anyway, I had a look at these. Would these be good for playing music just at home?

4. macrumors 68040

Jun 14, 2006
    You're kinda right about monitors. If something is badly recorded, then it will sound poor. HiFi speakers tend to make things sound a little 'nicer'.

How much were you looking to spend?

EDIT: Forgot to add, don't touch the Behringers with a barge stick. In fact avoid pretty much anything Behringer...
  5. thread starter macrumors regular

Nov 11, 2006
    Around 200-250$...

how come Behringer is a no-go?