1. lactocrit macrumors newbie

I have been shopping around for a new laptop recently and it's really a choice between a Tablet PC or a Mac. What I really want to know is the prospects of seeing a Mac Tablet in the near future. It would really save me a lot of agony.

Thanks~

2. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

so you want an over priced, under powered, bulky computer without a keyboard. There's a reason tablets don't sell well. You'd get much more for your money going with a traditional laptop, mac or PC. Prospects of a mac tablet are not good. its a niche product in the PC world, meant really for corporate users, not consumers. Apple wouldn't really be able to compete in that arena I don't think so I just don' see it happening.

3. lactocrit thread starter macrumors newbie

I do happen to have seen quite a few good (albeit expensive) ones that have a keyboard and are not that heavy. Toshiba Protege M200 for example (the old one's good too).

4. mkaake macrumors 65816

i've heard a ton of negativity all over these boards about tablets, but i would personally love one. where i work, the ability to have a tablet would be awesome - not only is it far less rude to take notes on during presentations and meetings, but you can really work with it on the go (ie, while walking)... which is why i also desperately want a newton, but just can't find the extra $$$ right now to justify it... :(

on topic though, i suppose your best bet is to ask yourself if the tablet is best suited for what you need or not. also, try one out in person. i tried one out a few months back, and the handwriting recognition was horrible. course, my handwriting isn't all that great, but it's something to think about, cause that can get annoying very quick. so yeah - try them out in person and then ask yourself what advantages/disadvantages there are to having a tablet.

matt

5. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

dunno exactly what you do, but in general, the least intrusive and most efficient way to take notes during presentations and meetings is a pen and a notepad. laptop is cumbersome, noisy and distracting. tablet would be a little less cumbersome but just as distracting, esp. given that the handwriting recognition is nowhere near perfect.

also... how much work do you really expect to accomplish while "walking"? why not simply walk faster, get to your destination faster and do your work once settled there?

regardless, given the price premium, tablet hasn't had the success because there's no distinct market for it yet - what killer application/usage is there that the tablet can do but laptop cannot? not much...

to address the original poster: i wouldn't wait for a Mac tablet. it's probably not coming any time soon. so decide for yourself if you really need a tablet. if yes, get a PC tablet because that's all there is. if not, i highly recommend a Mac laptop.

6. cubist macrumors 68020

Go to pcsurplusonline.com, they have some nice discontinued-model tablets for around $250. Go ahead, get it out of your system. Then shop for a used Newton :)