Tabs in Safari

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by bursty, May 29, 2005.

1. bursty macrumors 6502a

bursty

I have Safari set to open all clicked links to open in a new tab, instead of a new window. However, it only works when i click links in Mail, AIM, etc, but not links within Safari. Example: If i click on a link to a picture on the forums, it will open a new window. How do i get it to open it in a new tab just by clicking?

2. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

It's either Command-click or Command-Shift-click depending on how you have your Tabs set in Safari preferences.

3. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

4. bursty thread starter macrumors 6502a

bursty

so theres no way to just set it to always open it in a new tab?

5. RBMaraman macrumors 65816

RBMaraman

I believe the only way is to command-click because the HTML of the forums is designed to open a new window.

6. bursty thread starter macrumors 6502a

bursty

I did this but this only applies to links outside of Safari ie Mail, iChat, AIM, etc. This doesnt include links on webpages within Safari

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Firefox can be configured to have the feature you want (forcing new windows into tabs) but Safari does not have this feature, AFAIK.

8. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

You might want to look at Shiira. It uses WebKit like Safari but provides an alternative user interface. It does give you the option to have "new window" links instead open in new tabs without having to press a modifier key.

Recent Shiira releases have been pretty nice; early on, it was rather buggy, but things seem to have settled in.

9. reh macrumors 6502a

Install SafariStand. It'll force windows that want to open in a new window to open in a tab instead.