Tabs in safari?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by advocation, Dec 31, 2006.

1. advocation macrumors member

How do you get it so that, like in firefox, any links that try to open in a new window, open in a new tab instead? I cant find a setting for it :S

2. paradillon macrumors member

Hold down the command key when clicking a link, assuming you have enabled tabbed browsing.

3. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

there is none in safari, only way is like paradillon said, hold down cmd kay when u click the link.
    to automatically open a new tab instead of a new window in safari, u need to install a software called saft (costs $$)

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I think SafariStand, which is free, might also do this. (EDIT: This as in what reply #4 discussed -- clearly, basic tabbed browsing works fine without modification in Safari. But hopefully the OP already knew that before posting this thread! ;) )

5. polevault139 macrumors 6502

In the preferences you have to enable tabbed browsing which by default is disabled.

After that command+T opens a new tab just like in Firefox.

6. psycoswimmer macrumors 65816

psycoswimmer

Or you could download Firefox. It's free, and has what you want in tabbed browsing. You can also move the tabs around (unable to do that in Safari). There are also a number of themes and extensions you can use with Firefox that you may find to be helpful. If you want Firefox to look mac-ish, I'd suggest the "iFox Smooth" theme. It looks pretty much like Safari.

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I hadn't seen this one! Thanks! GrApple by Aronnax is a very popular Firefox theme that is designed for Macs also. :)

8. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

even better, go get optimized version of firefox 2.0.0.1 at http://www.beatnikpad.com/archives/2006/12/24/firefox-2001
    it gives u aqua widget of forms, drop down menu, etc, just like this
    [​IMG]
    and other than different logo, it behave just as firefox 2.0.0.1, even the UA is same! :D

9. advocation thread starter macrumors member

thanks for the replies guys, I knew about most of that :)

I was just wondering if there was a setting for it hidden in some menu like in firefox!!

I have FF installed on my system, but I prefer Safari to be honest! Dont know why :)

I'll try out some of the programs that were suggested :)

Thanks.

10. Mac'Mo macrumors 6502a

Mac'Mo

you can right click something and there is an option that says "Open Window in New Tab"

11. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

its really about automatically, by a single click, rather than several steps to do such an common operation.

I mean, all browsers support it except safari, even omniweb and shiia support it. wonder what is apple thinking.

12. Lixivial macrumors 6502a

Lixivial

For the most part. It's worked on a good portion of links I've tested since I began using SafariStand back in the beginning of the year. Although I haven't conducted extensive testing on it because I actually dislike the feature.

Anyroad, the checkbox to enable is "Open '_blank' Link in New Tab" from the General tab.

13. deebster macrumors 6502

Clicking the scroll wheel (or ball on a Mighty Mouse) opens links in a new tab for me.

I think this is native OS X behaviour, at least if you select the wheel / ball click to be a third mouse button in System Prefs, but I also have Saft installed so can't be sure about that.