Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DCBass

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 23, 2004
Washington, DC
Hello Everyone,

Hopefully you guys will be able to help me out. Here's the problem:

In iPhoto, you can 'tag' photos with keywords. However, these are not indexed to the photo themselves, not even Spotlight can search for these keywords.

This annoys me since I don't put everything in iPhoto.

So, I'd like to find a way to do this in Finder. It's easy enough to do one at a time, but in order to do this for a batch of photos, i suspect i need to use automator, which i'm not good at. I created a simple one, but i don't know how to have it ask me for the tag i want to give it. As far as I can tell, I can only create a workflow for a specific tag, meaning a new workflow for each unique tag. Is there a way for it to query me every time instead?

Also, I noticed that any Spotlight comments I put in cannot be viewed by Windows. Is there another field I can use so the tags can be viewed by both Spotlight and Windows?

Thanks in advance for all of the help.

-DCBass

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
With respect strictly to the question of adding Spotlight tags, you might try this program called Meta which enhances your ability to tag multiple files and does other spotlight enhancements:

http://www.bigrobotsoftware.com/software.html

I haven't used it personally, but it looks promising.

With respect to tags that can be read cross-platform, the other option is probably to try and get an EXIF manipulation tool and see if you can bury the keywords in EXIF? EDIT: Actually, GraphicConverter might be the perfect app for this.

DCBass

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 23, 2004
Washington, DC
mkrishnan,

thanks for the help. Graphic Coverter is working great for easily adding (and browsing!) all of my images in Finder. If only it was as slick-looking as iPhoto or Picasa :) .

However, I still have the problem with these keywords being recognized by Windows. Finally, I had my wife try to add a keyword to a picture and send it to my mac, only to discover that I cannot read her keywords either! I thought this sort of thing was standardized.

It's no big deal that Windows can't read them, but I thought it might be useful down the road.

On another note, I noticed in another thread that you went to UM. I graduated there in '03 in Music and Economics. What about yourself?

Thanks again,

DCBass

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.