Tagging songs in cyrillic

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by dave76, Dec 2, 2004.

1. dave76 macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

I want to buy my Ukrainian girlfriend an iPod for Xmas - and I thought it'd be nice to rip a load of her CDs and load them up before giving it to her...problem is that when I've tried it out in iTunes, the tags come back as gibberish from the CDDB lookup.

Anyone have any suggestions how I can get the tags to correctly fill in with cyrillic characters? Once they're in, they're supported just fine by iTunes and iPods, but I don't really want to have to enter them manually...especially on a UK keyboard!

Any thoughts?

Many thanks

Dave

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

What CDDB does iTunes use? Gracenote CDDB supports Unicode - maybe it's just not returning Unicode data for some reason.

3. dave76 thread starter macrumors newbie

I believe it uses Gracenote, so the data should be in there (well, when I tried it, it recognised the CD, and the gibberish it returned bore some relation to the actual data e.g. right number of characters in song titles etc. just the wrong characters!).

I wondered if iTunes was unable to accept unicode data from Gracenote - maybe some other program could?