Taiwan gets sold down the river.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by pseudobrit, Oct 26, 2004.

1. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

link

Spreading democracy my ass. Here's a wonderful, fully functional one and we just told China to bomb the **** out of them.

2. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

that'll learn taiwan to try and run their own affairs. only the superpowers get to decide how countries can run their own democracies.

3. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Do you think they're trying to leave a bloody great poisoned chalice for Kerry, just in case? I should be surprised at Powell being so foolish, but since he caved in to Junior, he doesn't seem to remember what principles are.

4. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

This is really about China. IF they want to incorporate Taiwan back into China by force, there is little the US or the rest of the world can do to stop them.

The only real chance of a conventional WWIII involves China and aggression/expansion in Asia. While I find the US response to the Taiwan question dissapointing at this stage in the game, I think it is pragmatic, considering our relatively impotence on the issue.

While China doesn't care much for Democracies, they do care about healthy markets, in both Hong Kong and Taiwan, which may be both of their saving graces.

5. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

While Powell's statement might sound dramatic, it represents no change in US policy on Taiwan dating back to Reagan at least. In fact "one China" is still official Taiwanese policy. It might not make much sense, but it's a rope-dance we've been doing for decades now and nobody seems overly anxious to change it.

6. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

while one china has been the US' policy for a while, there have always been somewhat unofficial channels between the US and Taiwan. someone please correct me if the language has been used before, but i can't recall the careful wordings of previous administrations' taiwan statements to reference a lack of taiwan's sovereignty.

that's the part that struck me. it just seemed so... unsubtle.

7. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

I beleive the US has to tread carefully with regards to China and choose it's battles, both diplomatically and militarily. Many regard the East Asian market as the most important of the world markets, and it is in the US's interests to attempt to balance Chinese Hegemony in the area.

It is unlikely that China will use military force to acheive it's goals in the region. Some analysts have compared China's rise to that of Germany as the dominant power in the 19th Century. East Asian countries will be faced with a choice: either allign themselves with each other and/or the US as a balance to Chinese power, or go to war with China, or accomodate China and become a subordinate to it's power and interests.

At some point China may:

a. Assert control and recognition of Chinese territorial claims of Tibet, Xinjiang and Hong Kong and Taiwanese integration. possibly Mongolia.
    b. Assert sovereignity over the South China Sea
    c. Promote Mandarin as the lingua franca of East Asia, replacing English.

depending, Taiwan may find itself with an accomodation with China, where it remains mostly independent, but acknowledges Chinese suzerainity and enters the UN with Chinese sponsorship on the model that the Ukraine and Belorrussia did post WWII.

This, of course, depends predominately on Chinese mood. The US military presence in East Asia will probably decline, especially if Japan chooses to accomodate the rising Chinese. China, if it's growth continues and considering it's size and Imperial Legacy, will be a world power like no other. The best bet, imo, is to hope that the economic success of China fosters the growth of pluralistic governance, even democracy. There is some hope that that may happen, and perhaps the US should concentrate it's efforts there. with the US as the sole superpower at the moment, however, China probably defines much of it's actions and policies in oppostion to the our interests.

8. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

The position is nothing new. It goes back to Nixon's time. The straight forward talk is aimed at the pro-independence policy of the current President of Taiwan and is a blunt message not to go down that road. If there is movement by the Taiwanese government toward independence, it is the surest way to provoke an armed conflict between the mainland and Taiwan. I've no quarrel with Powell's statement.

9. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Didn't Bush, early on, make a comment to the horror of his handlers that he would do whatever it took to defend democracy in Taiwan? Immediately followed by Ari Fleischer saying he meant nothing of the sort even though Bush had said it.

Speaking of flip-flops that is.... :rolleyes:

10. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Something like that. I don't recall the specifics, but he made an off-script remark that sounded like he was prepared to abandon the "one China" policy in favor of an independent Taiwan.

11. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I was going to make that same comment but ya'll be me to it.

Lethal