Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RumMunkey

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 3, 2006
Canada
Before I go adding descriptions to all my existing content, does anyone know the number of characters that get displayed under "Description" on the Take 2 software?

As I recall (don't own one yet), it's rather short on the current :apple:tv.

Shoesy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2007
Colchester, UK.
Before I go adding descriptions to all my existing content, does anyone know the number of characters that get displayed under "Description" on the Take 2 software?

As I recall (don't own one yet), it's rather short on the current :apple:tv.

The description tag can take a lot more than the comments tag, but its up to appletv how much it can actually fit on the screen, any run over just turns into an elipsis...

Not sure on the actual number, but I would wait and see how the software update affects this befor you do too much!

RumMunkey

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 3, 2006
Canada
The description tag can take a lot more than the comments tag, but its up to appletv how much it can actually fit on the screen, any run over just turns into an elipsis...

Not sure on the actual number, but I would wait and see how the software update affects this befor you do too much!

Yeah, I know I can cram a lot in there for iTunes' sake... but I'm trying to find out how much of that info gets displayed in the new Take 2 software.

I believe it was quite short on the current :apple:tv.

RumMunkey

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 3, 2006
Canada
Oh sorry I didnt realise you were asking for a leak from apple. My bad. :eek:

Wha?? :confused:

Was hoping a few people who've been through MacWorld and played with the displays, or have been exploring various pictures & reviews online may have come across this.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
How do you get the description in there for ripped and home movies, like the iTS purchased ones, I thought I tried but couldn't get it to work. Do you have to use a metatagger type software like Lostify or something?

RumMunkey

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 3, 2006
Canada
How do you get the description in there for ripped and home movies, like the iTS purchased ones, I thought I tried but couldn't get it to work. Do you have to use a metatagger type software like Lostify or something?

I use this script.

AND....

Turns out if you hang around the Apple site long enough, you'll stumble into screen shots of the TV Shows screens in the new layout.

It looks like there is an initial screen that allows for 320 characters in the description, and there's 346 or so when you select each episode.

20080121-pfehhb6iqeetejisntaff6m1p8.jpg

20080121-efewd61p1eexcr5yrgdewptki4.jpg

imlucid

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2007
For content that you have locally, you'll see something like the first screen (like in ATV 1.1).

The second screen is the details page that you only see on the store (see Preview/Play/Buy/Rent/Download buttons).

Kevin

OldSkoolNJ

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2006
IN my opinion one of the best Taggers out there for all data that a video can hold is Metax. It works really really well and even has built in IMDB access so it can do all the tagging for you. Works great!

Kevin

RumMunkey

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 3, 2006
Canada
For content that you have locally, you'll see something like the first screen (like in ATV 1.1).

The second screen is the details page that you only see on the store (see Preview/Play/Buy/Rent/Download buttons).

Kevin

Thanks, Kevin. That's valuable information for a guy trying to set up his content before my unit arrives. It's much more impressive when I can demo it with real, working content (that I have anyway) on the first day rather than having to say "well, when I finally get around to importing my DVDs, it will do this..."

So, keep your "long Descriptions" to under 300 characters and you should be good to go.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.