Take a Chance with 3TB Fusion?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by kaelell, Nov 28, 2012.

1. macrumors 6502

Caught up in minds about whether to go 1TB Fusion or 3TB Fusion, want to be able to bootcamp Windows for Games, but its probably only 15% of what I would use my mac for.. however the ability to play games does also effect my other choices with graphics card.

Would you take a chance with a 3TB fusion drive in the hope that in the near future you will be able to bootcamp a windows Install onto it?

Or play it safe with a 1TB drive, which is really pushing the envelope for space for me.

2. macrumors 65816

thedeejay

1TB for sure. 3TB is a lot of space. What you gonna store that'll take up 1 or even 3 TB? And nowadays external HDD's are dirt cheap do don't worry you'll be fine

3. thread starter macrumors 6502

My previous imac I sold recently was 1TB and I had to really manually shift files around.

(photographer/video editor)
    150GB music / 200GB edited photos (with originals stored externally, 150GB bootcamp ) thats already over half gone, without accounting for applications/documents/Videos and my Downloads folder of movies.

Already I use external drives for storage,editing videos and backups but there are times when I reach 80%+ capacity whilst working on a project and was hoping to not have to worry about moving things around so much.
    +and given bad experiences with loosing data on external drives, im all for having multiple copies of files over different media until a completion of a project.

But alas you are right, 1TB is what i'm leaning towards.

4. macrumors demi-god

CWallace

If I buy a 2012 iMac, I will go 3TB Fusion.

5. macrumors 6502a

Razorhog

Go with the 1TB to be safe for bootcamp. If you need more storage in the future, get a USB3 or Thunderbolt external.

6. macrumors regular

Make sure you stack it neatly on top of your Time Capsule, external ODD and whatever else you have dangling from that All-in-One beauty :)

7. macrumors 6502a

Razorhog

LoL, no snide remarks allowed! :p

8. macrumors member

Gascogne

About the 3tb fusion drive.
    Is the ssd part still only 128gb or is it bigger?

9. macrumors newbie

Snide marks aside, the twelve south backpack properly conceals my external devices :p

http://twelvesouth.com/products/backpack/

10. macrumors member

Apparently you can't Bootcamp a 3T drive... no reason is given but there is a note about halfway down the page:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5446

Anyone know why this is the case?

11. macrumors 65816

OH WOW, GREAT find. I think we need to make people aware of this... Wonder why that's the case though, it does it make sense? :confused:

12. macrumors 68040

xgman

If I'm going to spend this much money on a drive, I might as well buy some expensive TB duo drives and at least can replace the drives in the future with anything I want. Ironically, whatever I spec the imac with internally will end up being used as a storage drive of some sort. A nice fast SSD in a TB enclosure should be a nice booting drive, and less expensive overall than Apple's.

13. macrumors G5

gnasher729

For Bootcamp, you should be able to use a cheap external USB 3 drive.

14. macrumors 6502

MatthewAMEL

The Boot Camp 3TB issue isn't related to FusionDrive. It's not a new problem. It just so happens this is the 1st time Apple has offered a BTO with a drive that exceeds 2.2TB which is the MBR limit for boot devices.

Don't get the 3TB Fusion Drive if you want to use Boot Camp.

15. macrumors member

Unfortunatlly...

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4818#7

16. macrumors 6502a

But can you use an internal 3tb fusion drive for OSX, and an external thunderbolt SSD for bootcamp/windows 7? That is the big question.
    Anyone?

17. macrumors member

Laucian Nailor

See above :D

18. macrumors 68040

xgman

If you can somehow image windows onto the external drive, I don't see why that wouldn't work.

19. thread starter macrumors 6502

I believe you cannot bootcamp windows from external drive, unless you install OS x on it first then bootcamp.

do correct me if I am wrong.

source: various other threads of people unsuccessfully trying to

20. Mac32, Nov 28, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2012

macrumors 6502a

Arggggggghhhh, I thought that was only for USB2/3.
    This is infuriating. Why couldn't Apple just have a 256gb SSD + 3tb HD option.

21. Mac32, Nov 28, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2012

macrumors 6502a

What about this: Install Windows 7 on your fusion drive (after decreasing the size of the partition in Disk Utility to 2 gb or less), then cloning the partition with SuperDuper! to an external SSD. After that, just install OSX over the old Windows 7 installation in your iMac. Voila, you can boot your iMac from either your external thunderbolt SSD, or the internal fusion drive.
    That should work, right?

22. macrumors 68040

xgman

Are you allowed to partition a fusion drive?

23. macrumors 6502

MatthewAMEL

You can partition a Fusion Drive. The limitation is only one partition and it must be on the HDD.

I have read reports of people booting Windows using external drives and Winclone. Boot Camp will not install on an external, so getting the windows image on the external would be the trick.

24. macrumors member

Gascogne

So there are only fusion options (128gb ssd + 1tb or 3tb hd) or a 768gb ssd? :confused:

25. macrumors 6502a

Yep, that's the problem. A seperate 256GB SSD + 1/3 tb HD would have been so much more useful and flexible.