Take a look at this - damn funny

Discussion in 'Community' started by WinterMute, Jul 11, 2003.

1. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

http://www.stefko.com/pics/pingpong.htm

my ribs are still hurting.

I think this is the same vid that Iwantamac posted in Matrix ping pong a few days back, but the link has expired so I couldn't check, sorry to those who have already seen this.

Worth looking at twice though...:D :D

2. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Damn that was good! Really impressive. I wonder how long that took them to get right?

I love when the rotated everything 90 degrees towards the audience - classic stuff...

D

3. WinterMute thread starter Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

yes, sort of "real-time bullet-time" if you catch my drift.

4. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

That's incredible. Really. It took me 2 viewings to figure out how everything worked. ;)

5. P-Worm macrumors 68020

P-Worm

Wow, that was teally cool. How come we don't see stuff like that on tv?

P-Worm

6. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Because American TV is totally uncreative and just does what the general populace of America wants which is pretty bland.

7. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

8. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

that was just awesome. it looks almost real at first...then they start jumping in the air and such. it was choreographed extremely well. definitely worth watching...even in crappy flash movie format.

9. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

wow... that was awesome!!

that's from a japanese show where contestants compete on different stage shows and the studio audience gets to vote which one was the best. (you see the score bar on the wall on the right toward the end... you have to get in the "red" region to pass onto finals, which is 25+ on a scale of 30, i believe.) i think the show usually aires during the winter holiday time...

i imagine this one won... hard to think of anything funnier. :D

10. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Thanks for the explanation, jxyama. I thought it was for a movie, and that they would edit out the assistants. But the parts where they rotate the table wouldn't have worked since the background didn't change, and if they wanted to edit out the background it would have been covered in black. So I was puzzled until you explained it's a live show. Do they show it on TV in Japan or is it only done for the theater audience?

11. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

sorry, i forgot to mention... it's a tv show. it's been years since i've seen it, but i remember seeing some absolutely hilarious skits, some of them solo, some of them involving 30+ people!

actually, i got the scoring scheme wrong. iirc, there are 15 judges and each has two votes. once the skit nears completion, judges spontaneously vote. that's why you see the score rise up at varying speed. (though this one is so hilarious i can't imagine a judge not voting for it.) studio audiences don't vote.

fyi, at the beginning, the little subtitle says "#29 - ping pong" in japanese. apparently this was entry number 29.

12. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    very cool. amazing what a little creativity can do.

thanks for the link.

13. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Sorry, but I have to say how hilarious it is, again. When they flip the table on it's side, and they move one contestant towards you to make it look as if he jumped.....brilliant. But the best thing about this particular part of the skit is that it really looked as if the camera was zooming in and out of the shot. The static background gives it away, though.

14. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

this thing rocks, i love the bullet-time stuff. the best was definitely when it shot up high and you had that second of wondering, how are they going to get him up there? and then the table turns on its side.... classic, indeed. :D

15. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

Wow! That was increadible.

An awesome idea if you ask me.

That must have taken a while to choreograph.

:)

scem0

16. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Flowbee

Re: Take a look at this - damn funny

Looks like the page is already down. Does anyone have a mirror?

17. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Flowbee

Re: Re: Take a look at this - damn funny

Nevermind. I just Googled "matrix ping pong" and got a ton of hits (most require windows media player... or Mplayer).

Here's a link:

http://milkandcookies.com/

just scroll down a bit. enjoy

18. P-Worm macrumors 68020

P-Worm

Re: Re: Re: Take a look at this - damn funny

Thanks for the link.

Did you watch the video of that kid playing that Simon Says arcade game? That is freaking insane!

P-Worm

19. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Flowbee

Re: Re: Re: Re: Take a look at this - damn funny

Dang!

That clip deserves a thread of it's own!:eek:

20. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Awesome! Very well done. :)

It's nice to see complexly choreographed things like that done live.

21. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Since the original URL became unavailable, I downloaded Matrix Ping Pong from two sites, one as hkzkt10.asf and once as hkzkt10.wmv and I tried playing it directly by putting the URL mms://wmt-od.stream.ne.jp/ntv/hkzkt/hkzkt10.wmv in Safari's address bar. In all three cases, VLC launches and then I get "The application VLC media player has unexpectedly quit." I upgraded from VLC media player 0.5.3 to VLC media player 0.6.0. Same thing. I deleted file Preferences/org.videolan.vlc.plist to start clean. Same thing. It is the only application running on my dual processor G4.

The error log has messages such as "main warning: buffer is 311468 late, triggering upsampling" and "main warning: timing screwed, stopping resampling".

The crash log has these messages: "Exception: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (0x0001)" and "Codes: KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE (0x0002) at 0x00000390".

Help!