Take a look

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by Catfish_Man, Mar 31, 2002.

1. Catfish_Man macrumors 68030

Catfish_Man

2. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

My, there are a lot of question marks on those tables, aren't there? Never trust information from a website with a banner ad that says "You should be making $6000 a month working from home." This site is only reiterating the same speculation everyone else is. Some of the G5 data may not be far off, but everything beyond that is pure guesswork.

The dates especially look overly optimistic to me. A 2.4GHz G5+ in less than a year? A 4GHz G6 in less than two years? If the lifetime of the G4 is anything to go by, we'll be waiting twice that long. And wow, a G7 only a year after that.

Apparently by the end of the decade we'll be seeing a 300GHz .00013 micron G13, that is unless fortune smiles upon us and we are blessed with the G14 quantum CPU instead. With a gigabyte of on-chip L2 cache, and an optical interface to holographic memory, of course.

Alex

3. Beej macrumors 68020

Beej

Riiiight. No. I don't think these people have any idea whatsoever.

4. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

But I want one now!!!

5. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

It sounds nice, doesn't it? But keep in mind that by that time, OS X (actually OS XVII) will cancel out all its speed advantages. It will require 6TB of RAM, feature a real-time ray-traced and phong-lit 3D GUI, and will STILL not have any web browsers available for it that can scroll web pages smoothly. (Except iCab version 13.4.)

Hopefully OS XVII.2 will fix everything.

Alex

6. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

What's happening in the development of holomemory, anyway? i read something a couple of years back on how much they've done, but no new developments since? i mean i'm not exactly a researcher but the premise was cool, and looked promising...

pnw

7. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

Yes, the principle of holographic memory is sound, and there have been successful tests of it on a small scale, but I am under the impression that it's still only slowly gestating in the laboratory, along with the quantum computer, the asynchronously-clocked processor, and the cure for cancer and AIDS and the common cold. We'll probably have all of those someday, but the question is of course when. :)

Alex

8. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

Wow, the G7 will be out in Q4 2004!!!!

:rolleyes:

I mean, they could at least TRY to sound like they're serious...

9. Catfish_Man thread starter macrumors 68030

Catfish_Man

I'm looking forward too...

...the novolitale carbon nanotube ram from Nantero. According to "Technology Review" (basically Discover from a different publisher) they're hoping to have it out in 2-3 years.