Take a Test to see how long you will live!

Discussion in 'Community' started by Stelliform, Sep 17, 2003.

1. Stelliform macrumors 68000

Stelliform

Here is the link...

It tells me I can live to 71... I didn't believe it, so I took the test for my great grandfather who died at 87. He got an 82, so lets give it a +-5 year error. :)

2. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

kind of like the 'death clock' but more serious.

3. sturm375 macrumors 6502

83!

Darn, I won't be able to see the Tri-Centinel on my 100th:(

4. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

I'll be 82...heh...

my only grandparent is 94...my dad is 72 & doesn't look it...

I wonder how I'll go? :eek: ;)

5. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Woooo Whooo 84.

That's better then I ever expected.

6. jadariv macrumors regular

geez, everybody is living into their eighties. it says i will live to be 70. and i don't even smoke.

7. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

Re: Take a Test to see how long you will live!

the test wouldn't load up...oh well, i am doomed

statistically, i can expect to live about the same length of time as you, 67 years old..i am approaching being two thirds of the way through and some days i feel like i am three quarters of the way through and other days i feel that i can live another 40 years strong and healthy

but if i lose weight, lower my cholesterol, stop eating cheese, red meat, and cut out beer and perhaps replace it with red wine or red grape juice...then maybe i can live past 80...i have seen rest homes and i have no desire to live to 90

but i would also have to control sugar intake, reduce fried foods and bbq...heck, just small changes...HA

at least i don't smoke but that is not saying much with the long list of things i need to do ...and i need to eat more fruits and veggies and excercise since one of my jobs is being a sedentary techie

my wife is 10 pounds underweight and is a major vegetable and fruit eater and maybe drinks three drinks a year and doesn't smoke so she will live very long

8. Stelliform thread starter macrumors 68000

Stelliform

Re: Re: Take a Test to see how long you will live!

Yeah, but do you call that living? ;) :D Personally I enjoy food, I would like to exercise more, but I can't with my work /family schedule.

Besides dying in your 70's makes retirement planning easier! :D

9. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

Re: Re: Re: Take a Test to see how long you will live!

when i was in my teens and early 20s, i thought 70 was just another number and somehow i would feel the same...i am nowhere near the person/athlete i was 20 years ago

...which makes me realize how amazing a michael jordan or barry bonds really is being my age and being in the sport and doing fairly well against a field of 20-somethings

barry bonds is near willie may's record of 660 home runs (third best overall), and some people think that he can EASILY catch hank aaron at just less than a hundred more home runs...but, it's not that easy...at any age...especially bonds in his very late 30s, because he may not even catch babe ruth at 713 home runs

10. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

mere? say wha?

try turning 30, then 40...you will appreciate reaching those milestones

be glad if you are not gray noticeably, or if you have hair, or if all your parts still work the same...ha ha

life is long even though the years seem to go by fast and when you hear about a person turning 80, it's really a big deal, not just 40 times 2:p

11. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Flowbee

Re: Re: Re: Take a Test to see how long you will live!

Dying in your 50's makes retirement planning *much* easier! :D

BTW, I scored 80. Maybe all of the Simpsons' seasons will be out on DVD by then. :rolleyes:

12. Stelliform thread starter macrumors 68000

Stelliform

Re: Re: Re: Re: Take a Test to see how long you will live!

Well I am doing the smart thing, I am planning my retirement in my 20's. To do that, you have to get an idea of when you are going to die. Simple math. What is sobering is when I sat there and made out my plan for the rest of my life. That is when you realize, hmmm is this what I want.....

(It isn't like it is a serious plan. I just divided my life into 3 stages. First 27 years, financial foundation, (Education, get job, buy house....) Next 27 years are for preparing for retirement. Next 27 years do whatever I want with what I have.... (So that puts me kicking the bucket at 81. I figure that is a safe guess unless I start living healthy. ;) :D) If I die sooner my wife will have more money, although we agree not to give any to the kids. I don't believe in $$$ inheritance. (They can have my stuff, it holds memories, but $$$ just causes trouble IMHO.)

13. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

What the heck?!?!

What does this mean?

Attached Files:

14. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

That means you are one boring ****!!!

Never mind me I should be posting in the drunk thread.

15. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Take a Test to see how long you will live!

i kind of think of my life in thirds

i didn't use to think about life as a finite thing until one winter i got a temp job as a death records keeper and realized that many don't live to 80 or 70, or 50 for that matter...though at one point all of us prolly assume we will make it to that ripe age of eight decades

anyway, people born in the late boomer era can realistically expect to live to 66.67 years so that's roughly three equal parts of 22

so for me, 1-22 are the years for goofing around which i did...which explains not finishing college on time and strangely enough, those were the years i was single

23-44 are my serious years which i really started with a bang by getting married...and made me more serious but the seriousness can't last since i am quickly nearing the end of stage two...many people like to save for retirement and do nothing in their last part of the last stage of life except spend money, watch tv, and travel...but i would be bored stiff in retirement

and 45-66 will be my wind down years where i hope to get into a gentler, less hectic job *i would like to teach at the college part time, for instance...
    but still plan to live life working to the last possible day...i really don't picture myself hitting it big and getting into some 60 hour a week whirlwind and popping out kids at the same time while taking up sky diving...but who knows, some people get a second wind late in life:p

16. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Take a Test to see how long you will live!

I woke from a dream one night and had a premonition that I would live to the age of 26. Well I have exactly a month and a half until I'm 26. I guess the next year will be interesting. I haven't left anything to regret in my life but it would have been interesting if a more providing path had been laid before me. I always thought I could have been a successful auto racer. Even my friends agree with me it's just that path wasn't provided for me.

17. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Take a Test to see how long you will live!

so you are 25 now...you can go to a short racing school, get sponsored, and get into F1 racing...that would greatly improve your chances of living no longer than 26...but if you stay under the speed limit, i am sure we will see you here on macrumors the next year, and the year after that, etc...;)

i had a good friend who inherited 70k somehow when he was in his mid 20s...he was a metaphysical person who was into being a poet and being sensitive

well, he used the money to become a race car driver, but couldn't get sponsored, so he bought a couple of nice, fast cars for himself and then used the rest of the money to get a degree in computers and join the high tech field...talk about going in a different direction

after he got that out of his system and became more or less middle aged, i saw him reverting back to his more spiritual self

18. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Take a Test to see how long you will live!

I use my spirit to drive me faster. Kind of like the force. I see the exit of the turn before I am physically can.

It takes a lot more than a driving school to get sponsored. If it was that simple I would have done it already.

19. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Take a Test to see how long you will live!

i see so many documentaries behind the scenes of just about everything...how to train a police dog, how to open a restaurant, what it's like to be a pop star, etc

i would like to see a documentary following a raciing enthusiast all the way to the driver's seat of a full fledged race car driver on tour and the trials and tribulations of making it that far from scratch

my friend used to tell me how hard it was to break into racing for a living

20. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Take a Test to see how long you will live!

I have a friend that went from not knowing anything about motorcycles to being the 2 time AMA Pro SuperSport champion. It has been very difficult for him. First of all he doesn't have any money and for some reason that makes a big difference on getting signed. Second of all he is in his 30's which puts him at retirement age for any racer. The average pro racer making the big bucks and winning championships is right about 20 years old. Kind of makes you feel old doesn't it.

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/riderbio.asp?Rider_ID=447

21. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

22. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

I'm thinking it's suppose to read 1000 but it's extended beyond it's display bounds.

23. jzieske macrumors regular

75 Not Bad at all. 55 to go, lets make them count.