Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

poolin1243

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 7, 2005
Kansas City,MO/Milwaukee, WI
I have had my black macbook for less than a week. The speakers, already, sound aweful. Even the little going online and IM noises from iChat sound tinny, distorted, and just plain awful.

Take it back? or...thats just how they are?

brbubba

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2006
If you are hearing speaker distortions that probably means the speaker is damaged. Mine doesn't get very loud but the sounds it does produce are quite clear and distortion free.

mattjgalloway

macrumors member
May 21, 2006
My replacement MacBook arrived today, so when I unpack it I'll have a listen and tell you if mine are the same. I know my Dad's iBook G4 speakers are quite poo and sound tinny - so it may just be the way. I wouldn't play music through such speakers anyway, gotta hook it up to some good system!

emotion

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2004
Manchester, UK
Speakers in thin laptops are always going to be rubbish (generally you need some air volume behind the speaker for it to move to create the sound) - just for use in emergencies really. I've seen reports that the macbook's speakers aren't that loud though so I'd just invest in a decent set of headphones and side step the whole issue.

michaelrjohnson

macrumors 68020
Aug 9, 2000
emotion said:
Speakers in thin laptops are always going to be rubbish (generally you need some air volume behind the speaker for it to move to create the sound) - just for use in emergencies really. I've seen reports that the macbook's speakers aren't that loud though so I'd just invest in a decent set of headphones and side step the whole issue.
I disagree.

I have a Rev C 15in PB, and the speakers are not all that great. However, a close friend of mine had the final version of the PowerBook, and the speakers ARE AMAZING. They put mine to shame. Great quality, 2x the max volume, great bass representation, no distortion... I was so jealous.

I can't speak for the MacBook, but the immediately previous computer to inhabit that iconic aluminum case had fabulous speakers for a laptop.

emotion

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2004
Manchester, UK
michaelrjohnson said:
I disagree.

I have a Rev C 15in PB, and the speakers are not all that great. However, a close friend of mine had the final version of the PowerBook, and the speakers ARE AMAZING. They put mine to shame. Great quality, 2x the max volume, great bass representation, no distortion... I was so jealous.

I can't speak for the MacBook, but the immediately previous computer to inhabit that iconic aluminum case had fabulous speakers for a laptop.

The Macbook is a smaller computer though which doesn't have the subwoofer that the 15inch powerbook had (I don't think). The speakers on my 12" powerbook (which is the same depth as a macbook but a little narrower) are almost useless.

It may also be that Apple cheaped out on the speakers in the newer machines though.

michaelrjohnson

macrumors 68020
Aug 9, 2000
emotion said:
The Macbook is a smaller computer though ...
I understand that... but your comment generalized "thin" laptops having poor speakers. All Aluminum PowerBooks have been "thin" by any standards.

That being said, they may very well have "cheaped out" on the MacBook speakers.

emotion

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2004
Manchester, UK
poolin1243 said:
yes but the 12" powerbook i had that was TWO years old sounded 50 TIMES BETTER than these do...i think a cone is ripped or something...

Yeah that is what I'd make sure about it could be a cheap speaker with some damage as well.

emotion

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2004
Manchester, UK
michaelrjohnson said:
I understand that... but your comment generalized "thin" laptops having poor speakers. All Aluminum PowerBooks have been "thin" by any standards.

Yeah I guess a poor choice of words on my part which overstates the point. I do a lot of music production and audio work on my mac and wouldn't dream of listening to any laptop speakers unless I absolutely had to.

It all depends on perspective I suppose.

If the OPs speakers turn out to be ok and the speakers are all a little low quality on macbooks then I'd still say that decent headphones would be a good investment.

michaelrjohnson

macrumors 68020
Aug 9, 2000
emotion said:
Yeah I guess a poor choice of words on my part which overstates the point. I do a lot of music production and audio work on my mac and wouldn't dream of listening to any laptop speakers unless I absolutely had to.

It all depends on perspective I suppose.

If the OPs speakers turn out to be ok and the speakers are all a little low quality on macbooks then I'd still say that decent headphones would be a good investment.
Agreed.

poolin1243

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 7, 2005
Kansas City,MO/Milwaukee, WI
I know from common sense to plug it in to speakers, headphones, etc. but what im wondering if other people have had similar experiences with their macbooks, i mean even the lil ichat sounds, sound crappy

moot

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2004
in the great Asian wonderland
How far away is the nearest store selling MacBooks?

If it is not too inconvienient, why don't you pop along to your nearest Apple store and check out the sound on the MacBook's there.

Then you will be in a first hand position to compare your own machine,

FullmetalZ26

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2006
codo said:
I thought the MacBook did have a third speaker acting as a subwoofer?
It does, but the 'subwoofer' is about the size of a nickel. It's mounted directly on the system board to the right of the processor fan and heatsink.

Xeem

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2005
Minnesota
If you've used an iBook before, the Macbook speakers are pretty comparable. My friend lent me her Macbook, and I played the same song on it that I did on my iBook that was sitting next to it. The Macbook speakers definitely got an edge on the iBook, but both machines' speakers were pretty bad.

WabeWalker

macrumors member
May 20, 2006
Sound quality is a very very subjective thing.

What one person thinks is superb, another will think is god awful. Personally, I thought that the speakers on my old Titanium Powerbook (Rev A) were pathetic. I immediately went out and bought a pair of soundsticks, which at the time I thought were amazing (funnily enough, I now think that the soundsticks themselves are pathetic!).

When I first booted up my MacBook I was expecting really bad sound. The sound on the MacBook blows away the sound on the old Powerbook. For me the sound is deep and rich - so much so that I haven't even bothered with external speakers.

I have a fairly old television set and the sound on the Macbook is even better than that.

So for me the sound actually surpassed my expectations.

abbottpc.com

macrumors member
Apr 25, 2005
My powerbook was the same way. The sound is ok but they sound tiny and not very loud. But notebooks aren’t made to replace your sound system. It's the price you pay for portability.

krestfallen

macrumors member
Oct 27, 2005
emotion said:
The Macbook is a smaller computer though which doesn't have the subwoofer that the 15inch powerbook had (I don't think). The speakers on my 12" powerbook (which is the same depth as a macbook but a little narrower) are almost useless.

It may also be that Apple cheaped out on the speakers in the newer machines though.

The latest revision of the PowerBook 15" line don't have a sub-woofer anymore...

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
poolin1243 said:
Take it back? or...thats just how they are?
I find that is just how they are. If you do get a replacement I would not expect you to be much more satisfied. My iBook speakers (last revision) are pretty bad.

Here is my solution:
Buy speakers (definitely worth $20).

DeVizardofOZ

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2006
Antarctica City;)
Ok, this thread is getting funny...

As one already said, you need space behind the speakers (air) to make them sound better. Supposedly the MBP speakers are to be better than the PB speakers. Are they??? I think not.

What the heck, buy a nice set of head phones if you want sound. On the other hand, there are laptops with pretty good sound, it's just that they are packed into a larger formfactor...

My friend just got the latest rev. MBP and the speakers on my 5 year old IBM Thinkpad sound better than his...

It seems, that APPLE STILL has not been able to solve many quality issues. According to a recent survey 30 (THIRTY!!!) % of the owners of new MBs or MBPs have problems, and that is not counting those who think whatever issue they might have is not really one....
This is way to high a percentage of production output with problems. It actually proves unprofessionality on the part of APPLE QC.
:mad:

blackout8

macrumors member
May 24, 2006
DeVizardofOZ said:
It seems, that APPLE STILL has not been able to solve many quality issues. According to a recent survey 30 (THIRTY!!!) % of the owners of new MBs or MBPs have problems, and that is not counting those who think whatever issue they might have is not really one....
This is way to high a percentage of production output with problems. It actually proves unprofessionality on the part of APPLE QC.
:mad:

umm... link?

Sorry but i find that really hard to believe... remember that surveys mean next to nothing unless they are done in a relatively scientific way i.e. unbiased (i.e.) random sample base, large enough sample base... and clearly defined parameters i.e. what constitutes a 'problem'. I've had windows BSOD a few times does that count... heh:rolleyes: well u know that i mean

Tommyg117

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Nah, I wouldn't take it back. If you are that concerned about the speakers then you should get an external set. I do not prefer the sound of the laptop speakers, but that problem was fixed with some new speakers and now the sound quality is amazing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.