Take that calculus!!!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Buschmaster, Dec 11, 2006.

1. Buschmaster macrumors 65816

Buschmaster

I just took my calculus final and I rocked it. It feels so good to have done well and know that all my studying payed off.

I'll get my results in a week or so I'm sure. How are everyone else's finals going? This seems to be the start of finals week for most of us.

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

3. AvSRoCkCO1067 macrumors 65816

AvSRoCkCO1067

hehe...I got a D on my calc final (at least, that's my prediction). Colorado School of Mines is tough - and I started in Calc III Honors as a freshmen. Honestly, it's better to just start at the beginning and re-work your way through each course.

That's what I've done with Physics here, and everything's gone much better with that class :)

I ended with a B in Calc anyway...not terrible, I guess :(

4. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

I rocked Calc (and stats) in high school by getting a 7 on the IB Math Methods test. Took the AP Stats test too (because I took Math Methods) and got a 5 on that. No math in college was the BEST THING EVER. :cool:

5. AvSRoCkCO1067 macrumors 65816

AvSRoCkCO1067

I did that too! Too bad I still have to take math in college...cuz it's Mines...:(

6. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

Ah, I just finished up a calculus exam too. Of course, I'm a grad student, and it's a requirement for graduation, not a class. Damn! I've never actually taken a calculus class at any level of schooling.

7. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

High-five IB students! (Didn't get the diploma though, 'cause I'm a lazy lazy bastard. :D)

8. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

Shouldn't the thread be "Take THAT Calculus!!"?

I came in longing to find good reasons for taking Calculus, i.e. "Take that Calculus...because if you do you will get 73 virgins when you enter Paradise"

Now, I'm not so sure it is worthy of my time and energy.

Oh well....congrats on the test. :)

9. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

Actually, if you have a good teacher, Calculus can actually be kinda cool/fun. That's assuming you don't just hate math to begin with. I was lucky enough to have one of those oh-so-rare-in-public-school teachers who was not only extremely intelligent, but was also devoted to teaching and really enjoyed doing us (and actually liked us and treated us like adults, when we weren't behaving like total jerks). So, you know, if your calc teacher is one of those few Great Teachers™, definitely do it.

10. Buschmaster thread starter macrumors 65816

Buschmaster

Can't it be both?;)

11. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

12. mlw1235 macrumors 6502

Yeah...it is finals week.

Physics Today --> I think I did really well.
    Theology Tomorrow.
    History and English on Thursday.

Good luck all!!

13. Buschmaster thread starter macrumors 65816

Buschmaster

My physics text is Wednesday, good to hear you did well! What type of history did you take? I love history, I'm taking US since 1877 next semester.

14. MonksMac macrumors 6502a

MonksMac

Thank God (or other deities) I don't have my finals until next week. Then I get off on the 21st for two weeks! Yay!:) :)

15. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

dude totally. i had all my math done for mechanical engineering up at colo state by the time i graduated high school. such a nice feeling to not take stupid math classes

now all my classes are math based but at least its interesting as it is math being applied

1 final down, 3 to go....

uno mas semester and then off to grad school!

16. pixelbaker macrumors member

pixelbaker

I'm a senior in HS still and taking College Algebra. I have hated math since 3rd grade. I work my ASS off to maintain an A-. I hate all of you who enjoy/thrive in math classes.:(

17. falcon1 macrumors regular

falcon1

I'm also a senior in high school. Right now i'm taking my final in alg. 2 and its hard but not where I can't pass it. In college I have to take calculus 1 and 2 by my junior year for my NROTC scholarship and i'm really worried. Is there anything I can do now to prepare for it?

18. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

calc isnt bad honestly now looking back but its that way with all things lol. but if i were you just go down to the campus bookstore and pick up a book on calc and start reading through it if you are worried. college is alot different in hs in the fact that they dont really "teach" you as much as they present the material and move on. you kinda have to learn everything on your own outside of class is my experience

also make it a point to go to office hrs and get tutoring. there are alot of organizations that do free tutoring on campus i would imagine. usually the engineering organizations will do this such as ASME. something to keep in mind

19. bearbo macrumors 68000

bearbo

20. adk macrumors 68000

adk

Do you really think anybody does well in math without working their rears off?

21. tringo macrumors regular

92% in my first year calculus final.

notice how we're all so smart on this forum. Mac's truly are the smart man's best friend.:p

22. pixelbaker macrumors member

pixelbaker

My friend can go through the material and has no issues learning it whatsoever, usually retaining most of what she has learned fairly well. She's also much better at thinking of different ways to solve problems. I can't do that with math. There are some people who are just better at it than others, thereby nullifying the statement "talent is nothing compared to persistent hard work."

23. Jasonbot macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

Please don't mind my curiosity but what exactly is calculus and how does it work? I don't think I do that stuff for another two years but it would be nice to know what I'm up against.

It's a university thing right? But I guess additional maths will also include the basics when I get to grade 12/form 5/final year of school/matric (depending what system you awnt to think about)

24. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

The last calculus class I took was Calculus III at Vanderbilt in Fall 1994. I got a 99.8% for the whole class.

I only missed one test question. I was mad! :mad:

25. tringo macrumors regular

it's basically what Americans call Math. Or I think in South Africa they may call it Algebra.