take the Job offered at the Apple Store?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Video_Producer, Jul 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Video_Producer macrumors newbie

I was offered a job at an Apple Store and although I've said yes when it was offered I'm having a hard time signing the paperwork due to the demands of the training sessions which will make me cancel a vacation I've had scheduled since last July.

Unlike other people I've heard from this isn't for the discount, this is for extra money for bills etc, I won't benefit from the discounts for quite a while.

What's the consensus, cancel the vacation and go to work someplace I want to go or keep the vacation and find some other part time not as much fun place to work.

-rich-

2. xli_ne macrumors 6502a

xli_ne

is there no way you can take the training at a later date?

3. roadapple macrumors regular

If the vacation is with family or friends you don't see often, take the vacation. If not, take the job.

By the way, what does the apple store pay? (if you don't mind saying)

4. Video_Producer thread starter macrumors newbie

answers --

The job is only $13 an hour, vacation is with g/f, and it's a mandatory training session for 3 weekends 9-6 Sat and Sunday, all 3 weekends.

I'm leaning towards taking it, although I'd hate to have my girl loose out on something she's wanted to go see for a year.

rich

5. Mac_Freak macrumors 6502a

Can the training be posponed along with job?
    Try taking to Apple store manager, if that is where you gona work.

6. iGary Guest

iGary

If you have bils to pay and are currently unemployed, the answer is pretty simple.

7. xli_ne macrumors 6502a

xli_ne

ONLY 13 bucks an hour working retail?!? thats damn good in my book. If you need the money and can't seem to find a job close to it, i would take it. Vacations are fun but hopefully your gf will understand.

8. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

This is a good plan. Talk to the manager. We frequently hire folks with pending vacation plans, and bring them on with the understanding that they are going to have that time off. If your potential boss is not so understanding, that ought to tell you something about what it'll be like to work there. Of course, if there is no other training window for months to come, there may be no schedule flexibility, which is not a reflection on the store manager.

9. kjr39 macrumors 6502

Jobs come and go.

Seeing something that you may never see again, doing something you may never have the opportunity to do again, while seeing/doing with someone that is special to you lasts a lifetime...

10. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Take the job. I took a vacation once instead of the job. Lost the boyfriend right before vacation and couldn't get the job back. TAKE THE JOB.

11. iGary Guest

iGary

12. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

13.00/hr is incredible for retail. Especially part-time retail. If you turn it down and are expecting something equally good to come by, don't hold your breath.

My big question is, did you tell them up front you had this vacation? If so, I am sure they will be fairly accomodating to your vacation and agree to change the training. I know in my experience I don't have a problem hiring someone with a specific schedule need early on in their employment when they are up front with it from the interview onwards. If you were just hoping it would all work out, well, it sucks but I wouldn't blame them for not budging on the "training or quit" attitude.

Let us know what they say.

13. Mac_Freak macrumors 6502a

Don't be so hard on. This guy realy sounds like he is in a pickle. He has planned this trip/vacation for some time now. And if I am correct he was offered that job, and every job offer has a deadline that you can respond to.
    Between not taking the job and seeing if you can delayed it a bit to fit you plans is not that bad of a deal, plus it shows honesty.
    Of course, first he should talk to his g/f first before making that decision. Which is what he should have done before asking some esle on the forum.
    His g/f knows his situation better than we do.

14. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Video Producer,

Have you spoken w/ the manager at Apple? Maybe it could be arranged for you to go to different training seminars? I know that I tend to assume the worst w/ employers, but if you explain the situation, there might be a suitable compromise.

15. noel4r macrumors 6502a

Just wondering, what's the requirement for the position?

16. Mac_Freak macrumors 6502a

Finally, I am not alone with that suggestion. :D

17. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

:confused: I'm not being hard on the guy. I'm telling him to speak to the manager about potentially re-scheduling the training.

18. Video_Producer thread starter macrumors newbie

more answers

She was #1 on the list of why I shouldn't although she says take the gig, it's not F/T just 20-30 hrs hopefully to pad the wallet for the winter heat and other bills that come along.

I'm leaning towards taking the job, they have some great benifits, stock purchases, discounts etc.

Just looking for people who got into the place and it wasn't what they expected.

rich

19. Mac_Freak macrumors 6502a

Oh, I am sorry. I felt little sarcasm in your previous post. Sorry, my miss understanding.

20. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

video producer, just curious; which apple store in the boston area, chestnut hill or cambridge? can't comment on cambridge but I've heard from various people working for various retailers in the chestnut hill malls (although not the apple store) that sometimes customers can be a bit demanding. Don't know if that trend continues with apple store customers too.

21. Video_Producer thread starter macrumors newbie

Neither, Braintree.

There are 2 stores opening on the South Shore, Hingham and Braintree.

I'm not worried about the customers too much, I don't want to deal constantly with bottom line and numbers, it's an hourly gig so I'm not going to push anyone at any time, I don't need to make numbers just promote what I use. Daily.

Rich

22. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

TAKE THE JOB!!!

if you need the money take the job. a job at apple is the best thing that can happen for your resume. you can go on vacation later. but you never can go back to the job once you turn it down.
    also, vacation is only a week or so, but the job is for years to come. and your CV is with you forever.
    A new job also gives you new training because of training sessions and because of new job experience. that is a value you should not dismiss.

in any situation always take the job. everything else can be done later again. a turned down job opportunity is gone forever.

my 2 cents.

andi

23. Josh macrumors 68000

Josh

I'd say take it. $13/hr for cool job that would be super easy and really fun is AWESOME.

Take the job, then use the extra $$ to do something for the girlfriend and make up for the missed vacation.

Vacations are great, and I encourage everyone to take as many as possible; and though memories last a lifetime, vacations don't. The job will last and produce more than memories for a longer period of time.

I'd take the job. If possible, I would talk to the manager and see if there is a way to have your cake and eat it too :D

24. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

It's all good. You had me re-reading my post a few times, though. :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.