taking a beatin at AA

Discussion in 'Games' started by bokdol, Apr 27, 2005.

1. bokdol macrumors 6502a

bokdol

America's Army is kicking my ass. just wondering if anyone else is having the same problems... more that i am a noob. but it seems like i cant see them and they snipe my ass from a mile away.

sucks

but have to say GREAT GAME

2. broken_keyboard macrumors 65816

broken_keyboard

Yes.... it is hella difficult :) In many ways more of a sim than a game.

Just make sure you are on a Punkbuster server so no one is cheating with auto-aim etc. and... keep practising :)

3. bokdol thread starter macrumors 6502a

bokdol

haha yeah i keep trying but it's a pain in the ass when your walking up a hill then pow you slum to your death.. i guess i will keep trying
    :) :rolleyes:

4. AppleMatt macrumors 68000

AppleMatt

Start on an easy map like Bridge (used to be easier in 2.1, 2.3's map is fair bit harder). Shadow someone good on your team, and when you die keep clicking the mouse until you are spectating on them.

Don't run or walk into any open spaces, don't break any lines (if there's a smooth hill and you're standing on top the first thing the enemy will see is the massive rod sticking out of the top of the hill)

I get battered too, but I'm getting better.

AppleMatt

5. Patmian212 macrumors 68020

Patmian212

I play alot on the bridge and my honor is 9, I get alot of points sometime like70 or 80 but the honor NEVER goes up. How do I get to 10 again?

6. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

There are honor points and normal points. 1000 points =1 honor point, until 25 when it is changed to 1500 points=1 honor point.

Always keep your head down! There isn't a lot of standing in AA. Much more crouching and crawling. And even a fair amount of just waiting. On bridge, for assault, if you run out to the bridge and just run, you die. If your squad is laying down suppressive fire, throws smoke, and launches an M203 in a good location (don't spam them, it doesn't work out and can also get you votekicked) then you sprint or crawl to the next piece of cover.

Don't play it like counter-strike. Best way to die. I've seen people with 3 honor sprint into the middle of the bridge, firing, throwing grenades, and jumping, but they can't do them all at once. Wonder why? :rolleyes:

If you are getting sniped, then your head was sticking out. Should have been below cover. And yes, the M16 and M249 (SAW) do quite well at long ranges if you lay down and use your iron sights! Trust me, get to use them. You can hit (lowers accuracy and requires a medic) you can kill (duh) or suppress their sniper. It isn't that hard, just requires some practice shooting. But it can be done.

Keep a look out for your combat meter-- it is great info!
    Also, don't take a good gun, go out, and die in the middle of a field. Your buddies won't like that. Much better to stick with an M16 because it really is a good gun. Don't trade if for an AK, because the AK is not as accurate+full auto sucks for aiming. The only good side is you sound like you're one of them, but that only works if you are behind them so they don't worry.

7. bokdol thread starter macrumors 6502a

bokdol

thanks for all the advise.. hopefully i will use it for good. but thier snipers seem soo good sometimes. will off to play

8. Rocky3478 macrumors regular

Another piece of advice. Play on maps and servers that don't have sniper slots availible. That'll get you around that problem. Oh, and this advice comes from someone with 35 honor. ;)

9. Rootman macrumors 6502

The realism of this game is that you will get killed if you stick your head out. That's what makes the game great. There's lots of defensive tactics and you don't get rewarded for being a hotdogger. A sniper knows where to hide and pick you off, so stay low, keep moving, zig-zag, lay smoke, and watch what your team is doing. If the bullets were real, that's what you'd be doing. This is the best game I have ever played, but it takes a while to appreciate the realism. Play defense and help guard the base until you get the hang. When your team wins, so do you, even if you get no kills.

10. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Ah...my favorite game.
    Listen up, I'm going to give you the best tip ever:
    DON'T GET DISCOURAGED!!

This is a very hard game. I loved it, but I hated getting killed all the time. I started being leader and hiding. I would hope that my team would win, I would survive and I'd get lots of leader points. BAD IDEA. You never get better at the game this way. All you have to do is play and the games gets easier. It took me a year to be an 11. Two Years later I'm a 39 (1400 more points until 40 :D )

11. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

You can check the America's Army Website. You can log in and check how many points you have an how many more you need for the next honor level.

12. Rootman macrumors 6502

Stop shooting your teammates.

13. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I nominate this for Quote of the Day :D

14. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

You mean, not everyone with a gun is an enemy? :eek: :rolleyes: :p

15. Dippo macrumors 65816

Dippo

AA is quite a different game then most of us are used to.
    I always played Desert Combat and the switch to AA involved a whole lot of dying. Rambo tactics don't work too well in AA.

I only play the Urban Assault map. The games on that map are normally really quick so you can rack up some points fast, if your team wins. I have gotten up to 22 honor within about 3 months of that.

It's a great game. What's even better is the game is free.